Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

Just now, Soxnfins said:

Makes total sense if he comes in and DHs.

Not really.  So we punt Vaughn and commit to shitty defense for the term of Castellanos contract (likely at least 3 years) just to improve our DH spot?  Just sign EE to a 1/$10M deal.

Castellanos would make 2020 super fun - I can't deny that - but it such a bad long term play.  Keep RF open for a FA splash in year.  Abreu to DH. Vaughn to 1B.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really.  So we punt Vaughn and commit to shitty defense for the term of Castellanos contract (likely at least 3 years) just to improve our DH spot?  Just sign EE to a 1/$10M deal.

Castellanos would make 2020 super fun - I can't deny that - but it such a bad long term play.  Keep RF open for a FA splash in year.  Abreu to DH. Vaughn to 1B.  

Castellanos is the ideal DH for the Cell.... I'd keep Vaughn in case someone in the rotation goes down or completely bombs and we need to deal for one.

You really want to bank on a Betts type FA next year? I give the front office credit but c’mon everyone is going to be in on him next offseason. Adding castellanos does not block Vaughn. If anything it makes Mazara a role player, when Vaughn is ready you move Mazara to the bench Castellanos to RF and you have Abreu and Vaughn at DH/1B. Castellanos doesn’t block anyone in my opinion

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Castellanos is also 27 so he's just entering his prime. He fits great with the window. It's hard. As someone who's not that big of a Vaughn fan, I don't mind it. I prefer him as a trade chip rather than a long-term piece. Go get a TOR starter with Vaughn as the centerpiece. He's a top 25 prospect. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Castellanos is also 27 so he's just entering his prime. He fits great with the window. It's hard. As someone who's not that big of a Vaughn fan, I don't mind it. 

Castellanos entering his age 28 season is also why I am feeling somewhat convinced by my crackpot theory that he could be open to a 1 year deal.

2 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Castellanos is the ideal DH for the Cell.... I'd keep Vaughn in case someone in the rotation goes down or completely bombs and we need to deal for one.

Castellanos has about 2.5 months in his career where you'd be happy to have him DHing. Not to mention abreu needs to be DHing like yesterday. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

He is a better fit for the overall  plan than Encarnacion. Can get multiple years of control, still young, plays OF (not great but passably), and would really hit well in GR. 

If you can get him at an AAV of $17-18M would be great. He can DH against RH, then play RF against lefties with McCann becoming DH. Am not sure what the down side is, since this guy is a good and productive hitter. It might also allow us to consider trading Vaughn for more pitching, or trading Castellanos if we see that Vaughn will meet his lofty expectations.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Oh God please sign this guy.  I truly believe he will hit the shit out of the ball with us.

Yeah, I do struggle with the idea that one side I really think he is going to be the 130 wrc+ bat the next four years with the possibility of a year where his power completely comes together.

On the other side I just think this team needs some more complete players and some excellent ones come onto the FA market next year.

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

You really want to bank on a Betts type FA next year? I give the front office credit but c’mon everyone is going to be in on him next offseason. Adding castellanos does not block Vaughn. If anything it makes Mazara a role player, when Vaughn is ready you move Mazara to the bench Castellanos to RF and you have Abreu and Vaughn at DH/1B. Castellanos doesn’t block anyone in my opinion

Couple things.

1. I don't bank on anything. I do think Betts is a pipedream, but I also think he is like...the perfect fit....and if there is anyone the White Sox should shell out a mega contract offer for it, it should be him.  Will they get him?  Most likely not, but I wouldn't remove all doubt right now.  Springer would be a pretty great consolation prize anyway.  

2. I do not and will not factor Mazara into any plans after 2020.  He is a 1 year roll of the dice.  If he blossoms, he'll be here in 2021, but I am not counting on it, and neither should you. 

3. Signing Castellanos absolutely blocks Vaughn.  If not, the Sox are going to have the worst OF defense in the league with Eloy and Castellanos, even if they have an elite defender in Robert in between.  We need to play better defense moving forward! Castellanos can fake RF for a year or so, but by 2021 he should be the full time DH, And so should Abreu. 

4. If his market has cratered to the point to where like a 3 year $40-45M deal is possible, id consider it.  But definitely would want nothing to do with a NTC, and I would be trading Castellanos most likely within 18 months.  But I doubt his market has cratered that much. 

Some of you guys just want to push all the chips in right away.  Be patient.  Castellanos would seriously handcuff this team positionally.  Try to take the long view.  Not to mention, EE will be cheaper, be a 1 year commitment, and is probably a better bat anyway.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, it made a little sense before Abreu and Mazara.  Now it makes no sense at all.  

I don't think they brought Mazara in to be an everyday. I think he is here to play a bench type of role. If he develops into something useful, we keep him. I believe this because Hahn said to watch out for how things play out before judging the Mazara signing. If we sign Nick he starts in RF day one. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Could always move Castellanos after this season. Didn't give up anything for him.

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Castellanos has about 2.5 months in his career where you'd be happy to have him DHing. Not to mention abreu needs to be DHing like yesterday. 

This.  Castellanos is a guy in no more than 18 months we'll want to be upgrading from.  And he's bad defensively.  Just say no.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I do struggle with the idea that one side I really think he is going to be the 130 wrc+ bat the next four years with the possibility of a year where his power completely comes together.

On the other side I just think this team needs some more complete players and some excellent ones come onto the FA market next year.

My whole thing is this.  It boils down to Joc or Springer next year, one is a platoon bat and one probably gets extended imo.

I don't want to get Wheeler'd next year as Mazara could continue to be an absolute nothing.  Sign the guy you know can hit the shit out of the ball and go for it now.

• Like 1

This.  Castellanos is a guy in no more than 18 months we'll want to be upgrading from.  And he's bad defensively.  Just say no.  

I'd like to stick with what they have and make a DH addition at the TDL if they need one. 

I don't mind blocking Vaughn and using him as a trade chip, but like I said I'm higher on Mazara than most. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Couple things.

1. I don't bank on anything. I do think Betts is a pipedream, but I also think he is like...the perfect fit....and if there is anyone the White Sox should shell out a mega contract offer for it, it should be him.  Will they get him?  Most likely not, but I wouldn't remove all doubt right now.  Springer would be a pretty great consolation prize anyway.  

2. I do not and will not factor Mazara into any plans after 2020.  He is a 1 year roll of the dice.  If he blossoms, he'll be here in 2021, but I am not counting on it, and neither should you. 

3. Signing Castellanos absolutely blocks Vaughn.  If not, the Sox are going to have the worst OF defense in the league with Eloy and Castellanos, even if they have an elite defender in Robert in between.  We need to play better defense moving forward! Castellanos can fake RF for a year or so, but by 2021 he should be the full time DH, And so should Abreu. 

4. If his market has cratered to the point to where like a 3 year $40-45M deal is possible, id consider it.  But definitely would want nothing to do with a NTC, and I would be trading Castellanos most likely within 18 months.  But I doubt his market has cratered that much. 

Some of you guys just want to push all the chips in right away.  Be patient.  Castellanos would seriously handcuff this team positionally.  Try to take the long view.  Not to mention, EE will be cheaper, be a 1 year commitment, and is probably a better bat anyway.  

💞

If this rumor would have come up last week, I would have dismissed it. Now? I believe they might just sign him. Now that weird tweet Heyman put out about the Sox “not trading McCann and playing him at DH” is making sense with the Encarnacion and Castellanos rumors.