Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

13 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

???

The White Sox are now locked in to a guy that had a 117 wRC as the DH for 2021 and 2022.  There are a number of players that are available that put up better numbers than Abreu for less or around the same amount of money.  One of those players is in the title of the thread you are commenting in, and provides more flexibility to the roster.  He is a good hitter, but he is not JDM or even the hated Castellanos at the plate.  The signing was bad and nothing close to a necessity.  "Protection" is also not a thing but I digress on that.

if one wanted to look at Stats Castellanos averaged 84 RBI's  the last 4 year in 615 AB per season. Mazarra averaged 77  RBI's per season in 497 AB. if you combine the cost controlled salary the next 2 years if we want him along with his left handed bat which imo we desperately need I think NM is a better option. The rest of the stats the last 4 years are fairly similar between the 2 players. Castellanos plays in a harder hitters park for sure but if you look at per AB Nomar's are a little better. Vaugn and Madrigal will most likely be here this year and next so unless the right handed hitter is Mookie Betts the Lefty hitter with more upside and similar stats is the way better option.

3 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

if one wanted to look at Stats Castellanos averaged 84 RBI's  the last 4 year in 615 AB per season. Mazarra averaged 77  RBI's per season in 497 AB. if you combine the cost controlled salary the next 2 years if we want him along with his left handed bat which imo we desperately need I think NM is a better option. The rest of the stats the last 4 years are fairly similar between the 2 players. Castellanos plays in a harder hitters park for sure but if you look at per AB Nomar's are a little better. Vaugn and Madrigal will most likely be here this year and next so unless the right handed hitter is Mookie Betts the Lefty hitter with more upside and similar stats is the way better option.

Which do you think had more plate appearances with RISP?

It appears everyone has taken the sox stance on nick right now. Nobody signing the guy. As for abreu who cares what the Sox want to pay him. They have proven that if they want to spend money they have it and will spend. They kept konerko too long as well but he gave the Sox great years. Jr is loyal, so what...  it’s his money not yours. Let it go. If Mazara does t work out he will be gone and the Sox will move on. Who cares if they gave up some minor leaguer who may or may not make it.  They won’t wreck the window. They have a great lineup for the next few years,  to me it’s about pitching. Do they have the arms long term? Everyone who is young is un proven Gio needs to prove it again. No stud. Pitching wins. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, quickman said:

It appears everyone has taken the sox stance on nick right now. Nobody signing the guy. As for abreu who cares what the Sox want to pay him. They have proven that if they want to spend money they have it and will spend. They kept konerko too long as well but he gave the Sox great years. Jr is loyal, so what...  it’s his money not yours. Let it go. If Mazara does t work out he will be gone and the Sox will move on. Who cares if they gave up some minor leaguer who may or may not make it.  They won’t wreck the window. They have a great lineup for the next few years,  to me it’s about pitching. Do they have the arms long term? Everyone who is young is un proven Gio needs to prove it again. No stud. Pitching wins. 

Preach brother.

21 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is such a shitty argument that I keep seeing.  How many players in baseball have we seen that never reached their potential?  Castellanos has PROVEN production and PROVEN improvements. He has made actual improvements for 3 straight years while Mazara has made basically zero.  Being 24 years old is not an attribute, skill, or tool.  I guess we should throw Carson Fulmer in the rotation or trade for Lewis Brinson because they can still get better? It's the same shitty argument.

Mazara is not a win now move, I'm sorry but no matter how you try to use gymnastics here that trade is nothing short of a gamble.  A gamble that he might be a platoon bat with still shitty defense, not really much of a ceiling there. This is a move the Sox should have made last year, not when their window opens.

I also know the Sox aren't signing Castellanos, that doesn't mean I still won't think this trade makes no sense.

Being 24 and being a major league regular for 4 years means the kid has a ton of talent. He could've been in the minors all those years. He started off as a 21yr old hitting 20 HR's. He's been almost the exact same player every year . Maybe he never gets it. Or maybe he decides OK I did it my way the last 4 years maybe it's time for a change . I think he's capable of 30-40 HR's. I'd call that a good improvement and a good ceiling. Apparently you don't agree. I hope you can still root for the kid without an I told you so in your head every AB he doesn't produce . That's no way to be a Sox fan.

If the Sox end up with Castellanos I will cheer for him too just as loudly as i would for Mazara. :cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Makes no god damn sense for the reds to sign Cast. First, no DH. Second their of is loaded wtf. They got Shogo, Winker, Aquino, Senzel, T. Jank, Ervin, Schebler, Lorenzon. Like wtf. They have Mous and Eugenio in the infield so the of spots are Senzel + Aquino + Shogo for sure. 

Maybe this means that they'll trade Senzel ++ for Lindor ooo that'd be sexy. 

Heyman calling the Reds the favorite in the NL Central despite having a team WAR still about 2 wins short of the White Sox who are projected to win about 85 games.

Reds had a nice off-season, but I'm not sure Castellanos puts them anywhere near over the top, but you gotta love them keeping him from the Cubs!

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Heyman calling the Reds the favorite in the NL Central despite having a team WAR still about 2 wins short of the White Sox who are projected to win about 85 games.

Reds had a nice off-season, but I'm not sure Castellanos puts them anywhere near over the top, but you gotta love them keeping him from the Cubs!

I feel it's fair to say they are very much in competition for a wildcard spot now, and that is great for them.  They could win the division if everything goes right but I wouldn't call them the favorite right now 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

4 years 64 million. Good for Nick.

I thought he was going to be cheaper with the way things were going.  At that price, it’s very nice to see the Cubs lose him but stay in that division.

Oh, and LOL to all the ridiculous rumors that he was waiting for the Cubs to free up money so he could re-sign with them.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I thought he was going to be cheaper with the way things were going.  At that price, it’s very nice to see the Cubs lose him but stay in that division.

Oh, and LOL to all the ridiculous rumors that he was waiting for the Cubs to free up money so he could re-sign with them.

Yeah, that rumor was one of the most absurd of the off-season.

3 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Lindor makes a lot of sense for the Reds, but Senzel is nowhere near the rumored Dodgers offer of Lux and May. Lodolo is the only top 100 guy in the Reds minor league system right now. I don't know what value Winker has at this point either, but the Indians OF is terrible so those guys would both be upgrades for them.