Sign in to follow this  
Bad Hombre

Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Just now, Bad Hombre said:

Wouldn’t mind it. I prefer him over EE

Encarncion is a better hitter, and much, much, much cheaper. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Id rather go 1/10 on EE than give Castellanos a 4 year deal.

both...depth wins championships.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Woof.  Thought we dodged this bullet.  It sounds OK for 2020, but long term just such a bad fit.  

I always felt he was the perfect Abreu replacement but then we re-signed abreu long-term.

This lineup would get really rigid for the next 4 years and I’m not in love with the idea of doing that in 2020. 

Just now, mqr said:

This lineup would get really rigid for the next 4 years and I’m not in love with the idea of doing that in 2020. 

yes. 

What if his market cratered though? That's one option here. What if sox take the 2nd round pick grenade and give him a 1 year pillow deal a la cubs with Fowler?

1 minute ago, mqr said:

There are pros and cons to that. If they sign Castellanos, that pretty much means Vaughn is a trade chip, as 1B/DH are both clogged with Abreu/Castellanos. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

There are pros and cons to that. If they sign Castellanos, that pretty much means Vaughn is a trade chip, as 1B/DH are both clogged with Abreu/Castellanos. 

If Vaughn has a generational bat, you hope all three produce and likely flip Castellanos in the end.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bmags said:

yes. 

What if his market cratered though? That's one option here. What if sox take the 2nd round pick grenade and give him a 1 year pillow deal a la cubs with Fowler?

That I’m more than okay with. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Or they think he can manage RF

Woah this is awesome news. Get Cast and this team really has a shot in 2020. 

Cast would rake in Guranteed Rate. 

I didn't think they had the balls to go after Cast after Keuchel and Grandal... will see what happens, but I'd be happy with Puig and/or EE, but I'd be super happy with Cast. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I always felt he was the perfect Abreu replacement but then we re-signed abreu long-term.

Right, it made a little sense before Abreu and Mazara.  Now it makes no sense at all.  

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Woah this is awesome news. Get Cast and this team really has a shot in 2020. 

Cast would rake in Guranteed Rate. 

I didn't think they had the balls to go after Cast after Keuchel and Grandal... will see what happens, but I'd be happy with Puig and/or EE, but I'd be super happy with Cast. 

Me either.  I'd bet some jobs could possibly be on the line.  Or JR just wants to at least see the playoffs again before he's dead.

It's weird now being at a point where I receive the news of maybe adding an actual solid Major League Baseball player and thinking meh we'll be fine if not better off without him. 

Edited by mqr
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Right, it made a little sense before Abreu and Mazara.  Now it makes no sense at all.  

Makes total sense if he comes in and DHs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

Makes total sense if he comes in and DHs.

Yup, and then they have an awesome trade chip with Vaughn to go get another pitcher, should they need one. 

After watching that MLBN video, I'm pretty excited about Mazara. I've always liked him. I kind of don't want them spending money on Castellanos because they're going to need to lock up Giolito/Moncada (and possibly Mazara if he takes a step forward) 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

Of the two I think Castellanos fits better in terms of years of control and he can do more than just DH. He can play the corner OF and possibly back up 1B if needed. Rumors are that he likes Chicago. He would be my target and have Encarnacion as plan B 

• Like 2