FS: White Sox open extension talks with Luis Robert

Rankin

I love Madigral as a prospect, but I can't imagine them extending him yet. You don't know hat type of player he will be, nor his eventual worth.

The guy they need to extend is Moncada. He recently proclaimed his desire to play here for his whole career. Strike now while he's still feeling all warm and fuzzy.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This would be really nice.  I don't think this happens with Madrigal though as his ceiling is a lot lower.  Having Robert up OD and buying out a FA year would be fantastic.

11 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I love Madigral as a prospect, but I can't imagine them extending him yet. You don't know hat type of player he will be, nor his eventual worth.

The guy they need to extend is Moncada. He recently proclaimed his desire to play here for his whole career. Strike now while he's still feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Exactly.  There is no reason to extend Madrigal until you see how his all contact / no power approach plays in the majors.

17 hours ago, poppysox said:

I think extension offers will be made to both Madrigal & Robert.  RH wants to hit the ground running in 2020.

I would not be concerned about extending Madrigal. Let him play April in AAA, and then call him up late April/early May. 

Robert they should try to extend this offseason, although unknown how likely that will be. I hope it gets done. 

7 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

JR is never given credit for spending money, yet he spent 52 million just to sign Robert and that hardly ever get's mentioned.

You can count on one hand the number of major spending expenditures for premium talent this owner has made over the past 40 years to improve his organization’s ability to compete for a championship (the Robert signing being one of them).   

The fan base has been and is very aware of this reticence to spend like the major market team that they are, which is why many aren’t quick to rush a pat on the back to the owner on that rare occurrence when it does happen.  

2 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

You can count on one hand the number of major spending expenditures for premium talent this owner has made over the past 40 years to improve his organization’s ability to compete for a championship (the Robert signing being one of them).   

The fan base has been and is very aware of this reticence to spend like the major market team that they are, which is why many aren’t quick to rush a pat on the back to the owner on that rare occurrence when it does happen.  

Viciedo and Borchard perhaps the two best examples from 2000’s...

16 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

JR is never given credit for spending money, yet he spent 52 million just to sign Robert and that hardly ever get's mentioned.

He was given plenty of credit when it happened. What's your agenda here? Are you JR's Soxtalk burner account? :)

• Rankin unpinned this topic

As I said in the other thread, of course the Rockies would be / are interested in Moncada and Robert.

But they aren't getting them.  Those are two of the most valuable trade chips in the entire game.  You're not getting them for a guy making $35M a year, who also has an opt out in 2 years.

Not even worth discussing.  

• Thanks 1