Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Orlando

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

This in my opinion is a poor signing. The 37 year old EE is declining and has blocked Collins who in my opinion would have put up better numbers that EE this season. Like I said before put Collins in RF, Mazara in CF. Yes, I'm sticking to my guns, Luis Robert is too raw and nothing compared to Frank Thomas. Thomas in the minors and his whole career had phenomenal plate discipline and eye. Robert in the minors  last season had 129 KS to 28 bb.

Mazara is not a CF and Collins is not an RF. Lay off whatever you’re on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

So we significantly shored up the offense and starting pitching without significant long term commitments and mortgages minimal future assets. I wonder what the negative nancies will find to complain about next.

@Moan4Yoan wants us to just waste money. He’s all about payroll. 

young guys are cheap, Moan. Everyone knows that

Exciting stuff. Didn’t love the fit when at first a few weeks ago, but with Mazara in RF not skimping on the DH became a lot more important. 

At 1/$12M guarantee there is literally no downside to this. I hope they don’t just give away Collins tho. 

Sox starting to look very legitimate!

• Like 3

I was one of the more vocal posters when it came to really wanting EE and it has everything to do with the shit we pulled with Thome back in 2010. We haven't had a stable/good situation at DH since (aside from that one year Dunn was adequate). Think about that. In the past decade we've had one year where our DH was league average. Every other year has been more or less embarrassing. If we were going to give out $140 million this off-season you better make damn sure we shore up the spot we've been so bad in for a whole decade. Good on the FO for realizing their past mistakes.

3 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

We get you’re embarrassed (as you should be), but you have to get over it. 

Eat your crow, lose your narrative, and get past it

I’m not embarrassed at all and I said I am happy with the moves that have been made.

But you are acting like the Sox are spending crazy money.  The Sox payroll was higher almost ten years ago in 2011.  It isn’t a narrative at all.

• Like 2

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not embarrassed at all and I said I am happy with the moves that have been made.

But you are acting like the Sox are spending crazy money.  The Sox payroll was higher almost ten years ago in 2011.  It isn’t a narrative at all.

What are you moaning about?

Eat that crow, son

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Mazara is not a CF and Collins is not an RF. Lay off whatever you’re on.

Watching Mazara in CF would be one of those things where even if you literally knew NOTHING about baseball and watched a Sox game, you would know right away that it's a poor idea.. but @Chisox378 says it's a possibility so you never know!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

F*** the payroll narrative. When was the last offseason where they spent this much money? Combine that with thought of Madrigal, Robert, and Vaughn & you should be psyched

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exciting stuff. Didn’t love the fit when at first a few weeks ago, but with Mazara in RF not skimping on the DH became a lot more important. 

At 1/$12M guarantee there is literally no downside to this. I hope they don’t just give away Collins tho. 

Sox starting to look very legitimate!

Yeah I think this sums it up perfectly.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

@Moan4Yoan wants us to just waste money. He’s all about payroll. 

young guys are cheap, Moan. Everyone knows that

We’re at $122M and likely not done. I think we will still have a couple more one year deals left and end up at $135M. I’m fine with leaving enough flexibility to reassess the needs next year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Watching Mazara in CF would be one of those things where even if you literally knew NOTHING about baseball and watched a Sox game, you would know right away that it's a poor idea.. but @Chisox378 says it's a possibility so you never know!

He’s got a Hawk like thing for Mazara. If Avi could be a 30/30 CF why not Nomar!

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

drrr Mazara dumb Hahn drrr

Patience, boys.

As I said in the other Mazara thread that Lilian started perhaps this is what Hahn meant by not looking at The Mazara deal in a vacuum. EE is a Dominican like Mazara. EE is a launch angle guy always around 20 degrees. Mazara is a line drive hitter with tremendous power but a career 8.9 launch angle,

I think the Sox are going to lean heavily on EE as a mentor to Mazara and encourage him to think very strongly about changing his swing path and try to get that launch angle close to 15% .  If the Sox , EE, Menchino and Mazara can accomplish that Mazara can be a beast .

• Like 2

• knightni changed the title to Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic