Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Orlando

Just now, Tony said:

What a job by the front office this offseason. They need 1-2 more small additions, but they’ve put this team in a position to contend for the division in 2020. It’s time to go. 

Pillar and a good reliever, along with some flier reliever minor league signings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As I said in the other Mazara thread that Lilian started perhaps this is what Hahn meant by not looking at The Mazara deal in a vacuum. EE is a Dominican like Mazara. EE is a launch angle guy always around 20 degrees. Mazara is a line drive hitter with tremendous power but a career 8.9 launch angle,

I think the Sox are going to lean heavily on EE as a mentor to Mazara and encourage him to think very strongly about changing his swing path and try to get that launch angle close to 15% .  If the Sox , EE, Menchino and Mazara can accomplish that Mazara can be a beast .

This. If EE can preach launch angle to Mazara, he's going to be an absolute stud.

2 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

Per Fangraphs/Roster Resource 2020 Projected Payrolls. White Sox currently at $123 mil. League average at $138.5 mil. Lets get some relievers Ricky

Gotta make this team as Ricky-proof as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t see how anyone could be upset with this. Another move that helps for 2020 but doesn’t block core guys down the road.

What is it recently, the entire Sox F.O. likes every single one of your posts, lol?

This leaves a potential platoon partner for Mazara, utility infielder (instead of going with Mendick) and RH reliever as the remaining weak spots on the team.

Pretty drastic change from just a couple of weeks ago...almost unFATHOMable.   Now some will quibble with the fact that none of our signings are "prime years" acquisitions, but it's the best that can be done under the circumstances after missing out on Wheeler and not wanting to just punt the entire season.

Getting Robert locked into an extension would be absolutely huge, the cherry and whipped cream on top of the cake.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Baron said:

Good deal. Glad this got closed up today. Wasn't paying attention to Twitter today thinking it would happen next week sometime. I'd like to add a short term 2nd baseman if possible. But that's just cherry ontop move. 

If Robert signs an extension he'll be the OD center fielder and Leury can play 2B. Same goes if we sign a guy like Pillar.

22 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not embarrassed at all and I said I am happy with the moves that have been made.

But you are acting like the Sox are spending crazy money.  The Sox payroll was higher almost ten years ago in 2011.  It isn’t a narrative at all.

Nothing else to buy though, man. Having missed on the big pitchers, it's good to keep something in the tank to augment over the next few seasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Nothing else to buy though, man. Having missed on the big pitchers, it's good to keep something in the tank to augment over the next few seasons.

A couple bullpen pieces. Of who's left, I'd like either Stammen/Hudson and McHugh. 

What's really nice about what they've done is that all of the big money will come off the books when guys need to start getting paid. 

Very nice planning by the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Encarnacion hit his 34 HR in 109 games last year. Wowzas. I was thinking they might use him in 100-110 games with Collins getting the rest. 

I don’t think Collins is in this organization in a few weeks. No inside info, just reading the tea leaves

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think Collins is in this organization in a few weeks. No inside info, just reading the tea leaves

Maybe not. I don't mind if they can get a stud reliever with control for him. Wasn't a huge fan of Collins anyway, just thought he needed a look.  The hit tool is still very questionable. The lineup still lacks balance long-term. 6 regulars this year bat R, and 6 long-term if you replace EE with Vaughn next year. 

I'd rather them add Scooter Gennett than bring back Yolmer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• knightni changed the title to Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic