Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Orlando

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Guessing Zavala or Medeiros gets the DFA.  The other likely to go for Cishek. 

I don't see Medeiros getting DFA'd.  When he went to the pen, he was pretty good.  Zavala, Ruiz, Covey, Fulmer I see all go before him.

My prediction is Zavala and Ruiz will be DFA'd for Encarnacion and Cishek.

17 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

I don't see Medeiros getting DFA'd.  When he went to the pen, he was pretty good.  Zavala, Ruiz, Covey, Fulmer I see all go before him.

My prediction is Zavala and Ruiz will be DFA'd for Encarnacion and Cishek.

Possible, but I think Ruiz is pretty safe.  He is a big arm and an option remaining.  I also don't see the Sox DFAing Covey right now.  Fulmer I guess I could see, but I actually think he'll get on last chance on the OD roster.  

So we got nothing of value for the Swarzak and Soria trades.  Both guys (Cordell and Medeiros) are now gone.  I remember some posters here saying they would rather have low A ball, high upside prospects in return rather than older prospects and they may have been right.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So we got nothing of value for the Swarzak and Soria trades.  Both guys (Cordell and Medeiros) are now gone.  I remember some posters here saying they would rather have low A ball, high upside prospects in return rather than older prospects and they may have been right.

Is Medeiros gone yet?  I'm guessing he clears waivers and just gets outrighted to AAA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Swarzak was a no brainer, but Soria always was a head scratcher  to me.  He was making $9 million or so. If he sucks, you risk the $9 million, if he is good, like he was, you pay him $5-6 million, and get a guy like Medeiros. That's really best case scenario. I think if a choice had to be made, the Sox would be better off spending their international allotment and paying out buyouts than buying vets to flip,. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Swarzak was a no brainer, but Soria always was a head scratcher  to me.  He was making $9 million or so. If he sucks, you risk the $9 million, if he is good, like he was, you pay him $5-6 million, and get a guy like Medeiros. That's really best case scenario. I think if a choice had to be made, the Sox would be better off spending their international allotment and paying out buyouts than buying vets to flip,. 

Yeah, the flipping middle relievers was not particularly interesting.

But at least it should be heartening that it does not take much talent to acquire relievers having pretty good seasons at the trade deadline.

52 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I thought Medeiros would pan out into a decent swing man or 5th starter.  So much for that.    I think they probably asked for younger guys but were rebuffed.

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Medeiros gone yet?  I'm guessing he clears waivers and just gets outrighted to AAA.

Exactly. He’s interesting enough, has options, throws left handed and has a pedigree that I wouldn’t be totally shocked if he gets claimed. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly. He’s interesting enough, has options, throws left handed and has a pedigree that I wouldn’t be totally shocked if he gets claimed. 

I'm almost certain he'll get claimed.  Maybe they should have just exposed him in the rule 5.  Personally I would have rather cut Seby but maybe they prefer catching depth to pitching right now.  Although I don't think Seby is any sort of real depth.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:09 AM, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

When was the last time the Sox had a stacked 40 man like this? There's always been filler, even in the mid-2000s. I can't remember a time where I thought that all the guys on the 40 man were real assets.

Yea, but Dylan fucking Covey.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm almost certain he'll get claimed.  Maybe they should have just exposed him in the rule 5.  Personally I would have rather cut Seby but maybe they prefer catching depth to pitching right now.  Although I don't think Seby is any sort of real depth.

Zavala will very likely be the one DFA'd for Cishek.  So I wouldn't get too worked up about that.

And exposing Medeiros to the rule 5 draft wasn't an option in 2019.  He was added to the 40 man in 2018.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Zavala will very likely be the one DFA'd for Cishek.  So I wouldn't get too worked up about that.

And exposing Medeiros to the rule 5 draft wasn't an option in 2019.  He was added to the 40 man in 2018.  

Oof.  So they traded for him when he needed protection that soon.  Obviously wasn't an issue on the 40 man then, but is now.  It's a loss at the margins but it's still a loss.  

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oof.  So they traded for him when he needed protection that soon.  Obviously wasn't an issue on the 40 man then, but is now.  It's a loss at the margins but it's still a loss.  

yah, but it also shows how far the Sox have come in such a short amount of time when we now have a 40 man roster that is is at least 90% occupied by players that have real value to the organization.  Always sucks to lose someone, but it is just another sign that some real progress has been made.  

I do expect a rebuilding org to gobble Medeiros up, though.  

• Like 2

• knightni changed the title to Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA
6 hours ago, oneofthemikes said:

Saw something on twitter about EE having known Eloy since he was 14. Hopefully, that familiarity leads to a good working relationship and Eloy can pick up some launch angle tips from EE. Eloy's eye with EE's loft would be a sight to behold.

Hopefully EE tells Eloy to pull the damn ball a little more as well as get it more in the air.

After he figured out the slider a little I feel like he got bullied by the high FB a bit.  I don't have any data for this but he fouled off a ton of center cut high FB's last year.  Hopefully he starts turning on those.