Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Orlando

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We must be drinking different tea.

Given the roster construction, he has no real path at being a full time starter the next few years. Grandal has catcher and Abreu/EE and then Vaughn have 1B and DH taken. If he has strong value on the market, he’s easily the most tradable asset.

• Like 1

If you were Collins what would you be thinking after the Sox just put out big money to bring in a starting catcher, a DH, and signed Abreu for three years? You are thinking I probably need to get in another situation because I will have very little opportunity here as it stands. 

• Like 1

No need to jettison Collins. He may only have a small role this year, but he still has potential that could be brought along. Super cheap. No reason to dump him. Abreu's and EE aren't playing more than 120-25 games, so the Sox can use Grandal and Collins to spell them. And if Grandal is going to be used as a DH some of the time, Renteria is going to want a backup catcher on the bench. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shipps said:

If you were Collins what would you be thinking after the Sox just put out big money to bring in a starting catcher, a DH, and signed Abreu for three years? You are thinking I probably need to get in another situation because I will have very little opportunity here as it stands. 

If he's not traded he's starting the year in Charlotte and be the first man up whenever there is a need at 1B/DH/C. If he shows he could hit consistently again in Charlotte we could make him or Vaughn available as a trade chip then. There is no reason to trade him for an RP now if we could go sign one for $4-5M. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Given the roster construction, he has no real path at being a full time starter the next few years. Grandal has catcher and Abreu/EE and then Vaughn have 1B and DH taken. If he has strong value on the market, he’s easily the most tradable asset.

It's easy to understand why you would think that. Hahn has, on more than one occasion ,stressed building depth. He has also abstained from trading minor leaguers except for Walker.

As a high OBP and power hitting LH I don;t see an immediate reason to get rid of him.

We did that with Semien, Narvaez and Walker  , all decent to good OBP guys. .I'm hoping we don't do the same with Collins.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• knightni changed the title to Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic