Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Orlando

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Decades ago

Tea leaf reading is a tradition that likely began soon after the discovery of tea by Chinese Emperor Shen Nun in 2737 BC. Once a cup of tea is enjoyed, a ritual is performed involving tapping into the subconscious and letting the tea leaves left at the bottom of the cup tell a story about the tea drinker's present life and upcoming future. It is speculated that before the discovery of tea, Chinese monks analyzed the designs and cracks that formed on the inside of bells for similar purposes.

One origin story suggests that after sharing a pot of tea, a group of friends discussed their affairs (just like we do today.) Then, someone realized and pointed out that the tea leaves in their cups contained symbols reflecting the topics of their conversation. 

But how do you name such a practice? Tea leaf reading is considered the art of tasseography, which also includes reading coffee grounds and wine sedimentation. The name tasseography has linguistic origins in French, with tasse meaning cup, and Greek, with graph meaning writing.

Other historical texts will refer to reading tea leaves as "throwing cups," which could be related to the way excess tea is drained and tossed away before a reading. It likely came about in the Victorian era, after tea was brought to England from China. 

The joy of "throwing cups" spanned across nations beginning in the 17th century, thanks to Dutch merchants bringing tea to Europe. England implemented The Tea Act, which restricted access to the delicious beverage to the upper class. This turned the act of throwing cups into a kind of parlor game, exclusive to those who could afford the beverage. 

However, thanks to the Scottish botanist Robert Fortune (1812-1880,) other countries were able to easily reap the healthy benefits of tea and analyze the patterns left behind. Fortune smuggled tea plants to Scotland, which allowed even the lower classes to imbibe on a regular basis. 

After tea parlors developed in the 1800s, nomadic Romani began performing readings in tea parlors. Following the First World War, it became common for women in the United States to open their own tea parlors, selling light lunches and offering readings to interested customers after a meal. 

Tea readings are even depicted in modern literature and movies, such as in "Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban." Remember when professor Trelawney saw a number of omens in Harry's cup? Professional tea readers can see similar images just as vividly, however most assure that readings contain only positive magic. 

It is common for a professional tea leaf reader to discover their love for the practice through a family member, or find that a distant relative was a reader centuries ago. It is a unique form of divination because enjoying the tea is essential to understanding the symbols that form at the bottom of the cup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's easy to understand why you would think that. Hahn has, on more than one occasion ,stressed building depth. He has also abstained from trading minor leaguers except for Walker.

As a high OBP and power hitting LH I don;t see an immediate reason to get rid of him.

We did that with Semien, Narvaez and Walker  , all decent to good OBP guys. .I'm hoping we don't do the same with Collins.

Especially when the guy ahead of him has 1 year left before FA.

2 hours ago, mqr said:

I actually fucking love the Mazara move now that he’s the third best bat added to the lineup. 

Even if Mazara puts up the 1.5 WAR that steamer projects him for, it's still better than the huge steaming pile of shit that was in RF last year. They had a -4.7 WAR between RF and DH. Between EE and Mazara, that's a net gain of 7.7 WAR at those two positions. 

Also, if the Indians keep Lindor, this season is going to be a rollercoaster. We're all going to need pepto bismol. 

The AL is tough. Just making the playoffs will be an accomplishment. I don't expect Boston to be that bad again. Every division has 3 good teams in it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/edwin-encarnacion-white-sox-deal

“The White Sox and free-agent slugger Edwin Encarnación have agreed to a one-year deal worth $12 million, a source told MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand on Wednesday. The deal includes a club option for 2021, also worth $12 million, which does not have a buyout.“

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

“The White Sox and free-agent slugger Edwin Encarnación have agreed to a one-year deal worth $12 million, a source told MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand on Wednesday. The deal includes a club option for 2021, also worth $12 million, which does not have a buyout.“

Good catch

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Basically if he rakes and Vaughn isn't ready by 2021 we keep him for $12 million. Otherwise we dump him for nothing. That's such a team friendly deal.

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Tea leaf reading is a tradition that likely began soon after the discovery of tea by Chinese Emperor Shen Nun in 2737 BC. Once a cup of tea is enjoyed, a ritual is performed involving tapping into the subconscious and letting the tea leaves left at the bottom of the cup tell a story about the tea drinker's present life and upcoming future. It is speculated that before the discovery of tea, Chinese monks analyzed the designs and cracks that formed on the inside of bells for similar purposes.

One origin story suggests that after sharing a pot of tea, a group of friends discussed their affairs (just like we do today.) Then, someone realized and pointed out that the tea leaves in their cups contained symbols reflecting the topics of their conversation. 

But how do you name such a practice? Tea leaf reading is considered the art of tasseography, which also includes reading coffee grounds and wine sedimentation. The name tasseography has linguistic origins in French, with tasse meaning cup, and Greek, with graph meaning writing.

Other historical texts will refer to reading tea leaves as "throwing cups," which could be related to the way excess tea is drained and tossed away before a reading. It likely came about in the Victorian era, after tea was brought to England from China. 

The joy of "throwing cups" spanned across nations beginning in the 17th century, thanks to Dutch merchants bringing tea to Europe. England implemented The Tea Act, which restricted access to the delicious beverage to the upper class. This turned the act of throwing cups into a kind of parlor game, exclusive to those who could afford the beverage. 

However, thanks to the Scottish botanist Robert Fortune (1812-1880,) other countries were able to easily reap the healthy benefits of tea and analyze the patterns left behind. Fortune smuggled tea plants to Scotland, which allowed even the lower classes to imbibe on a regular basis. 

After tea parlors developed in the 1800s, nomadic Romani began performing readings in tea parlors. Following the First World War, it became common for women in the United States to open their own tea parlors, selling light lunches and offering readings to interested customers after a meal. 

Tea readings are even depicted in modern literature and movies, such as in "Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban." Remember when professor Trelawney saw a number of omens in Harry's cup? Professional tea readers can see similar images just as vividly, however most assure that readings contain only positive magic. 

It is common for a professional tea leaf reader to discover their love for the practice through a family member, or find that a distant relative was a reader centuries ago. It is a unique form of divination because enjoying the tea is essential to understanding the symbols that form at the bottom of the cup.

I can sleep good tonight

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Just remember that enjoying the tea is essential.

Did you already know the answer when you asked when it became a thing or did you look it up and post that after you researched it ?

Even when I said 1919 as a haha answer I knew it had to be a 1000 or so years the Chinese were drinking tea and probably a few centuries since the British were drinking it. I was also wondering if the tea leaves were read in the bottom of the cup or if the more affluent used strainers to remove the tea leaves and they were read after dumping the strainer . Since the advent of teabags it's not as much of a thing but still many prefer drinking tea organically without teabags.

53 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I absolutely hope these moves DONT back fire. But if they do, I know Hahn will get crucified even though most here are happy with these moves.

Yea, it's called senior management. You call the shots; if they fail, shots fired at you, and deservedly so.

56 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t know what happens to Collins now, but I love this signing.

I hate to say it, but it doesn’t really matter. He’s a fringe prospect; not a real catcher, and currently not a good enough hitter to play anywhere else.

I’m hoping he sticks around and fulfills his Evan Gattis upside, but he’s not someone you adjust your plans for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

What if they still sign Castellanos? Would that break SoxTalk?

Not happening....Stoney is the team spokesperson now.  He’s basically spoiled 3 of the past moves now.   Will be interesting what he says might happen next. I believe he mentioned Pillar weeks ago.

• knightni changed the title to Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic