Let's win the damn division

Nokona

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone should hold their horses until Lindor is moved. Not trying to rain on everyone's parade or anything, but the AL is really tough this year. 

The only teams in the AL actually rebuilding are the Orioles, Tigers, Royals and Mariners. 

Well, there's half the division right there in the Royals and Tigers. 

I think the Indians need to make some significant upgrades to keep pace. 

Twins are interesting, because I don't think they can maintain the ridiculous numbers they put up last year offensively and with their less than stellar pitching that could cause them to regress. 

Overall, there's an open window for the Sox to take the Central if a few pieces hit the ground running, at the very least, be in contention going into the final month. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Talent makes bad managers look a lot better especially a guy like Renteria who the players respect. Just imagine how long Renteria will manage the Sox if they win the division next year. :P

Well Ozzie only got 3 seasons after winning the Central in '08, and he had a ring on top of that. 

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Talent makes bad managers look a lot better especially a guy like Renteria who the players respect. Just imagine how long Renteria will manage the Sox if they win the division next year. :P

6 hours ago, Dan of Steel said:

Well Ozzie only got 3 seasons after winning the Central in '08, and he had a ring on top of that. 

Yes, but Ozzie was always going to be on the edge. RR is a different cat.  He isn't going to say or do anything to get himself in trouble. If he wins the division, he will be here until he doesn't want to be here anymore. But I would rather have him with his meal ticket punched and the Sox win, than the Sox be terrible and it's 50/50 at best he gets replaced.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

It's safe to say that Ricky will look a lot smarter in 2020 with this lineup.

Sox are looking much improved and should be an 80-85 win team as currently constructed, albeit with upside. 

Just purging the lineup of sub-replacement level players will make this club that much better. 

51 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox are looking much improved and should be an 80-85 win team as currently constructed, albeit with upside. 

Just purging the lineup of sub-replacement level players will make this club that much better. 

A few more tweaks and this WS team will go through this weak division like a hot knife through butter.  I would be extremely disappointed with 85 wins.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

A few more tweaks and this WS team will go through this weak division like a hot knife through butter.  I would be extremely disappointed with 85 wins.

Yes, I also think the Sox have done enough and the Twins and Indians aren’t as good too. We have a major league roster now, so 90 wins isn’t out of the question if health isn’t a major problem.  The winning window may still start in 2021, but after the last decade, I’ll take a fun, winning season that may end in the division series. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The bottom of this division is weak but as of right now the top of this division is as strong as any other than the AL East.

Doesn't have to play out as it is on paper - can't exactly predict Jose Ramirez missing nearly the entire season again - but the top of the AL Central is tough and has been that way for a decade. 

• Like 1

Just now, flavum said:

Yes, I also think the Sox have done enough and the Twins and Indians aren’t as good too. We have a major league roster now, so 90 wins isn’t out of the question if health isn’t a major problem.  The winning window may still start in 2021, but after the last decade, I’ll take a fun, winning season that may end in the division series. 

Don't call the Twins out until we see them make a move, but even with that - I'm still more focused on Cleveland unless Lindor is moved. That's a team that won 93 games while being absolutely devastated by injuries...and their OF and pitching staffs got a lot better during the season last year.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Don't call the Twins out until we see them make a move, but even with that - I'm still more focused on Cleveland unless Lindor is moved. That's a team that won 93 games while being absolutely devastated by injuries...and their OF and pitching staffs got a lot better during the season last year.

Yeah they have the best pitching staff by FAR which goes a long way, but maybe we can hope for a good ole bullpen explosion