So What Happens to Zack Collins?

KnightsOnMintSt

It all depends on McCann.

I hope we keep Collins and sell high on McCann. We need LH high OBP power hitters. He can learn from Grandal and when the computerized strike zone comes in a few years he will be very valuable. He can be the backup C this year and catch two games a week. 

I'm a big fan of all things Univ. of Miami so I'm admittedly biased but I really want to keep Zack.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 3

AAA, first man up.

If he's tearing the cover off the ball, he'll force the big league team to make room for him.

At the risk of sounding like Joe Maddon or a crazy man that thinks Luis Robert needs to stay in AAA, Schwarber was drafted as a catcher. If Collins really forces the issue, they'll teach/cram him in at 3rd as a backup, like they did Yermin, or left, like the Cubs did with Schwarber.

He could also force out one of McCann or EE, which could be amazing or terrible depending on circumstance.

Unless you could package him for an SP you hold on to him. It isn’t worth trading him for an RP when there are plenty of options in the FA market.

If he continues to hit and show great discipline in Charlotte he will be up at some point during the season when a roster spot opens up. I also point out in the EE thread there could be an outside chance he proves himself as the 1B/DH of the future and we could afford move Vaughn for high end pitching.

8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Unless you could package him for an SP you hold on to him. It isn’t worth trading him for an RP when there are plenty of options in the FA market.

If he continues to hit and show great discipline in Charlotte he will be up at some point during the season when a roster spot opens up. I also point out in the EE thread there could be an outside chance he proves himself as the 1B/DH of the future and we could afford move Vaughn for high end pitching.

When's the last time a Top 3 pick was traded within two years of being drafted?

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When's the last time a Top 3 pick was traded within two years of being drafted?

When was the last time a pitcher signed to a 9 year deal? Market is always changing, as long as it makes sense value wise then it’s fine to deal regardless of their draft slot.

And good one Q.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

When was the last time a pitcher signed to a 9 year deal? Market is always changing, as long as it makes sense value wise then it’s fine to deal regardless of their draft slot.

And good one Q.

Not exactly.  DBacks were too desperate to acquire Shelby Miller...and the Braves now look like they’re set up to be contenders for the next five years.   That’s not uncommon when you trade talent like that For veterans, it usually comes back to bite you.  A cautionary tale if ever there was one.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Not exactly.  DBacks were too desperate to acquire Shelby Miller...and the Braves now look like they’re set up to be contenders for the next five years.   That’s not uncommon when you trade talent like that For veterans, it usually comes back to bite you.  A cautionary tale if ever there was one.

Umm no... exactly the opposite. Swanson has been a disappointment so far so Dbacks do not regret trading him away. They regret however acquiring the wrong pitcher. That just goes to show you prospects are no sure things, even if it’s the #1 overall pick at a premium position.

In a hypothetical scenario between a 1B prospect and a cost controlled TOR type SP like Clevinger, I go for the pitcher 10/10.

Collins probably starts in AAA to get regular PT and AB's. Hopefully he continues to hit like he did in the 2nd half so the sox will have some debate on keeping him for 2021 or as a solid prospect with increased trade value to fill any holes the sox have. There isn't a rush to trade him now, when his value isn't at its highest. 

I think the Sox can actually pretty easily carry both all season...

26 man roster=

C- Grandal

1B- Jose

2B- Madrigal

SS- TA

3B- Moncada 

LF- Eloy

CF- Robert

RF- Mazara
Bench- Luery, Mendick, McCann, Collins, Engel

Thats only 13 of 26 with a pretty versatile bench.

SP- Gio, DK, Cease, Lopez, Gio

Long/mop up- Fulmer

Middle- Marshall, Frye, Cordero, ? (Hamilton/Guerro/Burdi/Free Agent)

Set up- Bummer and Herrera

Closer- Colome 

Obviously you can debate if being in the minors is best for Collins in that scenario, but I don’t see roster spots as an issue. 

EDIT: After all that I realized I forgot EE. So yeah, I guess Collins in the minors is likely to happen. Although a McCann trade wouldn’t shock me.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think the Sox can actually pretty easily carry both all season...

26 man roster=

C- Grandal

1B- Jose

2B- Madrigal

SS- TA

3B- Moncada 

LF- Eloy

CF- Robert

RF- Mazara
Bench- Luery, Mendick, McCann, Collins, Engel

Thats only 13 of 26 with a pretty versatile bench.

SP- Gio, DK, Cease, Lopez, Gio

Long/mop up- Fulmer

Middle- Marshall, Frye, Cordero, ? (Hamilton/Guerro/Burdi/Free Agent)

Set up- Bummer and Herrera

Closer- Colome 

Obviously you can debate if being in the minors is best for Collins in that scenario, but I don’t see roster spots as an issue. 

You forget EE as your DH, which would give you 14 position players.

I just don’t see how Collins and McCann both fit on this roster, as one of them will be vastly underused.  Let’s be conservative and say that Abreu gets 140 starts next year & Encarnación gets 125.  That opens up 59 starts at DH / 1B for our catching trio or 221 total starts altogether.  I want Grandal getting at least 140 starts next year, so at best we’re talking 81 total games available to McCann & Collins.  One of these guys will come out a big loser and it would be a poor use of Collins’ development time to to split those games with McCann.

Either trade McCann if you can extract value or send Collins to AAA to start the season.  Carrying three catchers doesn’t make sense when one of them is a guy who should play a fuckton in Grandal and you have an everyday DH.

8 hours ago, Quin said:

AAA, first man up.

If he's tearing the cover off the ball, he'll force the big league team to make room for him.

At the risk of sounding like Joe Maddon or a crazy man that thinks Luis Robert needs to stay in AAA, Schwarber was drafted as a catcher. If Collins really forces the issue, they'll teach/cram him in at 3rd as a backup, like they did Yermin, or left, like the Cubs did with Schwarber.

He could also force out one of McCann or EE, which could be amazing or terrible depending on circumstance.

McCann and EE will both be here for one season, unless EE has a Nelson Cruz type season. Collins will have a chance to play a significant role next year, which is fine by me because hopefully Robert and Magical have adjusted by that point.