Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Puig has had how many chances to prove he is more than a flash in the pan hot name rookie?  2 teams and 5 years later he has more red flags than teams interested?   

No Thanks.

I also think the Sox pass on Puig. Mazara actually hit right handed pitching pretty well in 2019, and I think they will look for a relatively inexpensive option to platoon and play against LHP in right field. 

Leury Garcia was actually pretty solid against LHP, batting .311 against them in 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

I also think the Sox pass on Puig. Mazara actually hit right handed pitching pretty well in 2019, and I think they will look for a relatively inexpensive option to platoon and play against LHP in right field. 

Leury Garcia was actually pretty solid against LHP, batting .311 against them in 2019. 

I know he is limited, but I love me some Leury.  I'm ok with him being Mazara's platoon partner if they can't/don't find someone better.

• Like 1

So our boy Hector Gomez shared an article linking the possibility of Puig to the Sox. Then added to a comment from a different post about the Sox possibly adding even more to their lineup after the EE signing. It seems as though he thinks that Puig is a real possibility. 

I just dont know why Puig would choose the Sox situation. Maybe just wants to win? 

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

So our boy Hector Gomez shared an article linking the possibility of Puig to the Sox. Then added to a comment from a different post about the Sox possibly adding even more to their lineup after the EE signing. It seems as though he thinks that Puig is a real possibility. 

I just dont know why Puig would choose the Sox situation. Maybe just wants to win? 

Puig is likely facing a pretty limited market. His best chance of regular at bats would be to join a rebuilding club on a cheap one year deal and try to hit the market again next offseason?

If Puig is willing to come on a cheap one year deal? Sure, but there's not a clear path to playing time. 

1 hour ago, tray said:

The Sox are gambling on Mazara turning things around. The Rangers were not able to get him to stop chasing balls out of the zone and grounding out.   Grounding into inning killing double plays could get old after a while, especially on a Sox team where RBI guys are up and down the line-up.

I hope the Sox get Castellanos if he could be signed to a 3 year deal for 45-50 with an option for a 4th year.  Mazara can be a 4th outfielder leaving  Engel as  the odd man out.

You'd need an outfielder who can be a defensive replacement if your corner outfielders are Eloy, Mazara and Castellanos. You'd have to keep Engel somehow to go in the game to protect a lead.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Baron said:

I mean if you get Puig I'd just rest Mazara on the bench. I don't know how the White Sox plan on fixing Mazara's lack of interest. DRS is also fairly kind to Puig. 

I don’t think lack of interest describes Mazara at all.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Being change averse is a hell of a lot better than just not giving a shit. 

Being against change is one thing. Running around on the baseball field doing the same old shit and plugging your ears is another. None of that's good. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Being against change is one thing. Running around on the baseball field doing the same old shit and plugging your ears is another. None of that's good. 

I don't think this is true because he did change his stance in the 2nd half of last season.  There was a video on MLBN with it too.  He slugged 541 I believe in the 2nd half by quieting his hands, less movement in his stance.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Being change averse is a hell of a lot better than just not giving a shit. 

Right and Mazara has to realize sooner or later that something with him has to change to reach his vast potential or he will always be THAT guy with huge talent like Avi who bounces around once he starts getting too expensive to keep for average or below average production from a corner OF. The question is what was TX selling that Mazara wasn't buying ?

when Mazara was acquired I doubt they knew the OF market would turn out so weak. Looking back I doubt they'd redo the Mazara (due ~$5.7m in 2020) trade considering Avi only got 20/2. Mazara should be considered a pet project and if a better player (Puig) is available for cheap you get him. This still allows for a solid cheap 4th OF signing too.

Edited by scotty22hotty

18 minutes ago, Baron said:

They said he worked hard to prepare for the game but wasn’t doing what he needed to do to for the season.

Texas had all these powerful, athletic intl signings and none planned out as expected. Maybe they were bad teachers. Sometimes guys think they are following instructions when they aren’t. Sox might not be the best player dev team in the world, but maybe hearing the same thing differently might help.

6 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

I enjoy his antics too.  Between him and Anderson, teams would hate us haha.

Difference between the two is that TA is beloved by his team mates and Puig is tolerated at best.  Serious rumblings about Puig being as prickly towards his own team as the opposition the last few years.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Difference between the two is that TA is beloved by his team mates and Puig is tolerated at best.  Serious rumblings about Puig being as prickly towards his own team as the opposition the last few years.

Would love to see the articles on this accusation 

2 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Would love to see the articles on this accusation 

Have.

Some.

Articles.

Imagine this happening this fall in Chicago and it helps cost the Sox a championship:

The baseball had sizzled down the line, and “I don’t remember looking at it like, ‘Oh, that’s a ball that should have been caught,’” said Brandon Morrow, the Dodgers pitcher at the time. But Morrow never studied the replay. Hours later — after Bregman scored, the Dodgers blew a lead and forfeited control of the series to the Astros — several members of the organization did.

The footage revealed issues the team had spent years trying to correct. Puig wasn’t ready for the pitch and got a late jump. He was out of position, shaded too far toward center field. He often ignored the positioning card distributed to Dodgers defenders before games; according to six people familiar with the situation, he on several occasions ripped up the card in front of outfield coach George Lombard and left the pieces on the ground. In the eyes of Dodgers officials, Puig was unprepared at a time when negligence might mean the difference between a title and heartbreak.

“There were always things like that,” manager Dave Roberts said one day this spring. “Taking plays off.”

• Like 1