Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He also retweeted Y2Jimmy’s recent post about Puig:

I wouldn’t be opposed to this but I don’t know if I believe these rumors.  If Puig is looking for a one year pillow contract to build his value for a long-term deal next offseason, he would get less at bats with the Sox than a team like the Marlins where he would play full-time.

The lesser reason I’m not sure I buy this is that Puig has reverse splits and hits righties better than lefties.

I wouldn’t mind seeing it happen because the more good bats the better and he could cover for Mazara potentially being a bust but I don’t think it will.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to this but I don’t know if I believe these rumors.  If Puig is looking for a one year pillow contract to build his value for a long-term deal next offseason, he would get less at bats with the Sox than a team like the Marlins where he would play full-time.

The lesser reason I’m not sure I buy this is that Puig has reverse splits and hits righties better than lefties.

I wouldn’t mind seeing it happen because the more good bats the better and he could cover for Mazara potentially being a bust but I don’t think it will.

Seems like an odd fit to me, but despite reverse splits he’s still better than league average against LHP and just as good as other option like Pillar.  I just can’t imagine they’d want to add him to our clubhouse.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

They said he worked hard to prepare for the game but wasn’t doing what he needed to do to for the season.

Texas had all these powerful, athletic intl signings and none planned out as expected. Maybe they were bad teachers. Sometimes guys think they are following instructions when they aren’t. Sox might not be the best player dev team in the world, but maybe hearing the same thing differently might help.

The Sox players are pulling for each other.  Often see them on the bench showing each other how they grip the ball or talking about baseball stuff.  Abreu and McCann are like having additional bench coaches.  EE, Gio and Keuchel will add to this coaching culture IMO.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like an odd fit to me, but despite reverse splits he’s still better than league average against LHP and just as good as other option like Pillar.  I just can’t imagine they’d want to add him to our clubhouse.

Yeah, his splits are worse against lefties but they are still better than most other options so that isn’t a big enough reason not to add him.

Also, the Sox have been interested in Puig in the past so this isn’t a huge surprise that they are mentioned in rumors around him.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/08/31/report-white-sox-placed-claim-on-yasiel-puig-but-werent-awarded-him/

We all know Hahn and Kenny have their favorite players that they continue to try to acquire if they don’t at first succeed.

If they don’t think his past clubhouse issues will be a problem in Chicago, it’s likely that they think Abreu can keep his ass in check.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

No no no no. Take his ass elsewhere. Don't need that shit in the clubhouse. I don't care how good he is. The offense is set anyway.

He's not good.  That's the problem.  People still have this idea in their head (not all but many) that he's this dynamic 5 WAR talent still in his prime.   He's produced 3 WAR in his last 300 games.   If he was still good, he'd already be on a roster, but, he's not.  He'll be lucky to sign a 1 year deal for around 8-12 million.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's not good.  That's the problem.  People still have this idea in their head (not all but many) that he's this dynamic 5 WAR talent still in his prime.   He's produced 3 WAR in his last 300 games.   If he was still good, he'd already be on a roster, but, he's not.  He'll be lucky to sign a 1 year deal for around 8-12 million.

Exactly. Bye Felicia

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Avisail Garcia got 2/$20 but you don’t think Puig could get that?  If Puig signs a one year deal, it’s probably intentional, not just because it’s the most he could get.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d rather take a chance on Zobrist as interim 2B and then versatile bench piece who can play RF against LHP and fill in a little at 2B against tough righties. Puig is just such a douchebag and not worth the risk.

I would love him too. But I thought he was seriously thinking about retirement? I know he's pretty old. But would be an absolute perfect fit. Would check off all the boxes for remaining offensive needs.

• Like 1

I like fact that Puig can actually play defense and has upside. I don’t like Puigs attitude which has always prevented the upside from emerging. That said it sounded like his time with Reds went better than time with Dodgers but boy were all the local reports really really bad on Puig and his impact on clubhouse. 

51 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Avisail Garcia got 2/$20 but you don’t think Puig could get that?  If Puig signs a one year deal, it’s probably intentional, not just because it’s the most he could get.

I don’t think you understand how shitty his attitude / personality is viewed around the league.  Why would teams put up with that when he hasn’t been very good?

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I like fact that Puig can actually play defense and has upside. I don’t like Puigs attitude which has always prevented the upside from emerging. That said it sounded like his time with Reds went better than time with Dodgers but boy were all the local reports really really bad on Puig and his impact on clubhouse. 

He can't play defense.  He's -15 runs in RF the last two years via Fangraphs metric.  He is lazy, doesn't follow the scouting reports, and takes bad routes.  He's got an arm tho.

26 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I would love him too. But I thought he was seriously thinking about retirement? I know he's pretty old. But would be an absolute perfect fit. Would check off all the boxes for remaining offensive needs.

Agreed, not sure about the seriousness or retirement with him but given his age and divorce situation it wouldn’t be overly surprising.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

You know pretty much what you are getting with a player like Puig. Talent, headcase, I really do not think he will get much better than what he has shown the past few years. 

He's fun to watch, and a one year deal would not be all that risky. Mazara has not proven to be a reliable full time starter so far in his career. 

Edited by steveno89