Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He can't play defense.  He's -15 runs in RF the last two years via Fangraphs metric.  He is lazy, doesn't follow the scouting reports, and takes bad routes.  He's got an arm tho.

Where are you seeing that? In DRS he's at 0 which is perfectly fine. 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He can't play defense.  He's -15 runs in RF the last two years via Fangraphs metric.  He is lazy, doesn't follow the scouting reports, and takes bad routes.  He's got an arm tho.

Yes metrics don’t love him but he can be an elite defender and an above average player. Anyone signing him is taking a chance they can coach him and/or his switch has flipped to the positive. Huge risk and while I think Jose can handle it, Puig could just as wel implode everything built (and I don’t love the idea of having Puig around Robert and Moncada). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yes metrics don’t love him but he can be an elite defender and an above average player. Anyone signing him is taking a chance they can coach him and/or his switch has flipped to the positive. Huge risk and while I think Jose can handle it, Puig could just as wel implode everything built (and I don’t love the idea of having Puig around Robert and Moncada). 

Exactly.  Part of being a smart person in charge of something is isolating that something from risk.  There’s like zero reward with Puig and tons of risk.  The idea is insane. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2597460-is-there-anybody-left-in-los-angeles-whom-yasiel-puig-hasnt-alienated

"He is the worst person I've ever seen in this game," one ex-Dodger who believes Puig is beyond redemption said flatly. "Ever."

I'm not sure Puig is the sort of guy we should be adding to our locker room

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree 100%.  Like maybe there is a 5 WAR season in him -- but the Sox are not in a position to find out.  Maybe at mid season if he's performing...

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

It does feel like they traded for Mazara in case they couldn't acquire anyone else.

Agreed. All the smoke lately seems to indicate the Sox never really planned on Mazara being our sole option in RF. 

Concerned about Puig's fit though. 

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think you understand how shitty his attitude / personality is viewed around the league.  Why would teams put up with that when he hasn’t been very good?

Avisail Garcia banged Prince Fielder’s wife when he was with the Tigers.  Wouldn’t that also make him a clubhouse cancer?  😂  He still got paid though.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Agreed. All the smoke lately seems to indicate the Sox never really planned on Mazara being our sole option in RF. 

Concerned about Puig's fit though. 

Ultimately Mazara shouldn't be the starting RFer opening day with any club. He has to earn his way back into the fold. Puig is a superior player. I'm assuming that the White Sox internally already went through the motions about dealing with his attitude. 

9 minutes ago, Baron said:

Where are you seeing that? In DRS he's at 0 which is perfectly fine. 

just however they calculate their ran values for dwar on their site.  I honestly don't know I'm not even sure if it's average runs or above replacement.  Either way he's not good and it's backed up by the fans that watch him daily.  He's kinda like Rios.  Talented, but a head case.  Except alex was just kinda spacey, Puig has the potential to legit explode a MLB locker room.

Enticing player for many reasons but also a silly, ridiculous risk imo.  You already have a younger, more stable RF that could break out in Mazara,  you just signed another good bat in EE, why the hell you want Puig?

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It does feel like they traded for Mazara in case they couldn't acquire anyone else.

Or like some of us said at the time, it was just too good of a deal to turn down.  Some media member also recently said Sox soured on Steele.

Edited by fathom

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like an odd fit to me, but despite reverse splits he’s still better than league average against LHP and just as good as other option like Pillar.  I just can’t imagine they’d want to add him to our clubhouse.

Do you think putting his locker in between Abreu’s and Grandal’s could serve to adjust his attitude some?  Maybe the Sox’ clubhouse could be the best one for him at this point.  

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

My concern with Puig is how does he handle not playing more than 2-3 times a week

Theoretically he’d platoon with Mazara and then backup Eloy.  So let’s say he gets 50 starts in RF plus another 20 in LF?  If you assume Abreu & Encarnación start 140 & 125 games respectively, that opens another 55 games for Puig & Grandal at 1B / DH (with most of these going to Yasmani if I had to guess).  So short of a major injury, Puig get close to 90 starts all things considered.  That may be closer to 3 to 4 starts a week, but still seems bizarre why he would take that role and to your point a huge risk that he’d end being not happy with it in hindsight.

1 minute ago, Thad Bosley said:

Do you think putting his locker in between Abreu’s and Grandal’s could serve to adjust his attitude some?  Maybe the Sox’ clubhouse could be the best one for him at this point.  

maybe, but why?  spend the money on pitching or make a trade for price and eat some cash.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

just however they calculate their ran values for dwar on their site.  I honestly don't know I'm not even sure if it's average runs or above replacement.  Either way he's not good and it's backed up by the fans that watch him daily.  He's kinda like Rios.  Talented, but a head case.  Except alex was just kinda spacey, Puig has the potential to legit explode a MLB locker room.

Enticing player for many reasons but also a silly, ridiculous risk imo.  You already have a younger, more stable RF that could break out in Mazara,  you just signed another good bat in EE, why the hell you want Puig?

Oh that's what I thought you were looking at. I don't know how they calculate it. Just defensively to break down URZ or DRS Puig is superior. But yeah he could explode. I think it's an interesting opportunity to improve though if the White Sox already went through the motions on controlling him. 

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Oh that's what I thought you were looking at. I don't know how they calculate it. Just defensively to break down URZ or DRS Puig is superior. But yeah he could explode. I think it's an interesting opportunity to improve though if the White Sox already went through the motions on controlling him. 

honestly I can't give them the benefit of the doubt on any FA signing but if it was for this cuban guy with Jose and EE around and Rick el jefe I would have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'd be OK with it for like 1 year 8 million because at that point if he goes nuclear you just DFA his ass it's so cheap.  That's it.  He has to be able to do better than that.  Or maybe because of his attitude he really can't.

Edited by chitownsportsfan