Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

10 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Do you think putting his locker in between Abreu’s and Grandal’s could serve to adjust his attitude some?  Maybe the Sox’ clubhouse could be the best one for him at this point.  

The Sox’s clubhouse may very well be the best for him at this point in time, but I think Puig is beyond fixing.  I personally don’t love this idea and am hoping this is simply a front for something else.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I was under the impression that Abreu and Puig don’t get along, although maybe that’s not the case.

I seem to remember hearing this in the past as well but here are some past quotes from Abreu:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/puig-and-abreu-face-off-in-dodgers-white-sox-series/2084777/

"It's a normal day. We're going to take it like a normal day in the past. It's good to play against friends. He's a friend of mine,” Abreu told MLB.com about playing against Puig.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Before DK and EE I would have been all for Puig. Take the gamble on catching lightning in a bottle with his potential on a team I didn’t think was heading to the playoffs. But if we are in win now mode having Puig as a platoon bat seems like a ticking time bomb not worth playing with. Especially since he’d theoretically be the bad side of the platoon with only facing lefties. Say what you want about him, but we better not have traded Steele Walker to have Mazara as a 4th OF’er for 1 year. 

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Maybe Puig will motivate Puig finally.

Man was he electric the last time he was motivated.

Big risk / reward potential.

Playing alongside 

Abreu

Moncada

Eloy

Grandal

(I might be missing one)

He will be rejuvenated and motivated, I truly believe we would be getting the best Puig, in the clubhouse and on the field 

Maybe this is additional protection against the inevitable injuries that Eloy tends to suffer from the minors to his first season in the majors?  I know I don’t want to see Adam Engel or Ryan Cordell starting in the outfield ever again.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

But wait. Was Puig a malcontent? He carried that heavy baggage when the Reds acquired him from the Los Angeles Dodgers.

He showed none of that with the Reds. In contrast he was a fantastic teammate, beloved in the clubhouse

Yasiel is a great teammate,” said Garrett. “I’d heard a lot of things about him before he came to us. I thought he was one of the best teammates we ever had. He was always joy in the clubhouse. He loved these guys, loved being around these guys.

“We are definitely going to miss him,” Garrett said. “I’m just going to have to strike him out next year. He is always messing with me because he is 1 for 3 off me.”

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-pitcher-garrett-grateful-for-puig-backup/22OEMTujWgm3WXCljSWl1I/

Seems like Rabbit is carrying around the 2013-14 Wild Stallion version.  Of course, the 1.5-2.0ish fWAR Puig isn’t nearly as impactful on the diamond, but the Dodgers wouldn’t have kept him for another four seasons if he was THAT bad as has been described.  And I’m guessing none of those anonymous quotes were from Latin American or Hispanic players, who comprise the majority of the Sox starting lineup right now.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But wait. Was Puig a malcontent? He carried that heavy baggage when the Reds acquired him from the Los Angeles Dodgers.

He showed none of that with the Reds. In contrast he was a fantastic teammate, beloved in the clubhouse

Yasiel is a great teammate,” said Garrett. “I’d heard a lot of things about him before he came to us. I thought he was one of the best teammates we ever had. He was always joy in the clubhouse. He loved these guys, loved being around these guys.

“We are definitely going to miss him,” Garrett said. “I’m just going to have to strike him out next year. He is always messing with me because he is 1 for 3 off me.”

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-pitcher-garrett-grateful-for-puig-backup/22OEMTujWgm3WXCljSWl1I/

Seems like Rabbit is carrying around the 2013-14 Wild Stallion version.  Of course, the 1.5-2.0ish fWAR Puig isn’t nearly as impactful on the diamond, but the Dodgers wouldn’t have kept him for another four seasons if he was THAT bad as has been described.  And I’m guessing none of those anonymous quotes were from Latin American or Hispanic players, who comprise the majority of the Sox starting lineup right now.

Reminds me heavily of AJ talk before 2005.

Honestly, if we get Castellanos I am going to go F***ing crazy. I could absolutely see these Puig rumors meant to push the market on cast. 

I am in the crowd of NEVER wanting to see the shitty OF'rs of the White Sox past like Engel etc. So a signing of Cast/Puig is huge for me. It guards against injury, against Mazara failing, etc.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Honestly, if we get Castellanos I am going to go F***ing crazy. I could absolutely see these Puig rumors meant to push the market on cast. 

I am in the crowd of NEVER wanting to see the shitty OF'rs of the White Sox past like Engel etc. So a signing of Cast/Puig is huge for me. It guards against injury, against Mazara failing, etc.

Castellanos would be the icing on the cake for me. Him or JDM were my priorities heading into the year.

• Like 1