Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was literally about to post this.  I still think the Sox have interest in Castellanos and my guess is we have something like 3/$48M on the table while Boras / Nick are holding out for a number closer to 4/$80M.

At $60-65 million, you really think the White Sox would bite?   It would have to be four years as well.

I would guess that Puig and his agent are really pushing for him to join his countrymen in Chicago, and he’s willing to sacrifice money for one season to get that unique opportunity.

40 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Do you think putting his locker in between Abreu’s and Grandal’s could serve to adjust his attitude some?  Maybe the Sox’ clubhouse could be the best one for him at this point.  

I could see it. He'd be around more of his countrymen than any point in his career. And then you have Encarnacion who is the oldest and another vet. Not saying I'd take the risk but it would be interesting. 

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And Mazara isn’t good at it either so that’s not  a great reason to sacrifice a better bat.

Do we even know if Castellanos is far worse than Mazara in RF defensively?

Yes. 

DRS he was -9 last year and -19 in 2018. URZ he's -4.9 and -12.3 in 2018. He's -12.6 in defensive WAR. He's a butcher.

Edited by Baron
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At $60-65 million, you really think the White Sox would bite?   It would have to be four years as well.

I would guess that Puig and his agent are really pushing for him to join his countrymen in Chicago, and he’s willing to sacrifice money for one season to get that unique opportunity.

Why would any player’s agent push their client to take less money, just to join his countrymen?  Typically, the more money the player gets, the more money the agent gets.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was literally about to post this.  I still think the Sox have interest in Castellanos and my guess is we have something like 3/$48M on the table while Boras / Nick are holding out for the Cubs to come anywhere remotely near that.

Unfortunately, I think my edit above of your post is probably closer to the truth. 

1 minute ago, RTC said:

Unfortunately, I think my edit above of your post is probably closer to the truth. 

The Cubs have zero money to work with right now.  They’d have to move Bryant in order to add Castellanos and I really don’t see that happening for a while given the grievance if at all.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Cubs have zero money to work with right now.  They’d have to move Bryant in order to add Castellanos and I really don’t see that happening for a while given the grievance if at all.

I actually buy the Nick/Cubs rumor. Giants don’t seem confident they get him and Reds are looking elsewhere. Might be a Rangers/Cubs battle?

Totally agree.  I just think NC/Boras are waiting as long as they can to see if the Cubs free up some cash 

True, and oh so fun to watch as they get screwed by the delayed Bryant grievance decision.

They are also going to lose out on their number one free agent target this offseason to the Reds — 32 year old CF Shogo Akiyama. Pathetic.

• Like 1

No the Sox aren’t looking for a long deal right now.  Castellanos still wants a multi year deal.   Unless he does a one year deal it’s not happening.   So who could it be?   The worry about JDM was the opt out.   It’s not a big deal now in fact it’s preferred.  So it’s a good take to think the Puig thing is a leverage play but not for Castellanos - just remember that Hahn is disciplined and has executed it well so far.  Next 48-72 hours should be big.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

No the Sox aren’t looking for a long deal right now.  Castellanos still wants a multi year deal.   Unless he does a one year deal it’s not happening.   So who could it be?   The worry about JDM was the opt out.   It’s not a big deal now in fact it’s preferred.  So it’s a good take to think the Puig thing is a leverage play but not for Castellanos - just remember that Hahn is disciplined and has executed it well so far.  Next 48-72 hours should be big.  

You forgot to post eyeballs.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

So Sunday is D-day?

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

JDM is not an option with EE in the fold.

• Thanks 1

Now that Betances is off the board, there’s Will Harris and Collin McHugh.  Most of the other reliever options are either old, fluky, or bad.  I think Hahn will nab one good reliever and sign some of the other guys to minor league flier deals.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

It’s absolutely possible that the Sox have leaked the Puig interest to the media as a diversion. Remains to be seen how this plays out.