Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

23 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

No the Sox aren’t looking for a long deal right now.  Castellanos still wants a multi year deal.   Unless he does a one year deal it’s not happening.   So who could it be?   The worry about JDM was the opt out.   It’s not a big deal now in fact it’s preferred.  So it’s a good take to think the Puig thing is a leverage play but not for Castellanos - just remember that Hahn is disciplined and has executed it well so far.  Next 48-72 hours should be big.  

JDM or Mookie?

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Yes. 

DRS he was -9 last year and -19 in 2018. URZ he's -4.9 and -12.3 in 2018. He's -12.6 in defensive WAR. He's a butcher.

Is it possible that Castellanos is improving the more playing time he gets in RF?  Before 2018, he was playing 3B for the Tigers.

46 minutes ago, fathom said:

I actually buy the Nick/Cubs rumor. Giants don’t seem confident they get him and Reds are looking elsewhere. Might be a Rangers/Cubs battle?

My buddy who is friends with a member of the Cubs front office is not optimistic about the Cubs’ chances to land Nick and while his source doesn’t typically provide him with player specific details he has made it very clear that they’re operating with zero financial flexibility.  Sounds like the new TV deal is not going to bare the fruits many in the org were expecting and there have been some changes in their go-forward operating plans as a result.  I really can’t see them adding Castellanos unless they move Bryant and even then there are other guys that will need to get paid in the near future like Báez.  Seems like a total long-shot to me unless Nick is willing to take a pretty soft offer from the Cubs.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But according to the defensive stats you posted, it sure looks like he dramatically improved from 2018 to 2019.

The problem is he went from Matt Kemp level to ok he's just really bad. Mazara right now is much better than him. I'd rather not have a black hole out there when we have Eloy in the same outfield. I dont see him making a huge jump to Yasiel Puig status in DRS. That factors in range too. 

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why is everyone speculating some big deal about to be announced? 

I feel like that poster has some sort of semblance of inside info, but am not 100% Sure. If Boston likes our prospects though I’m intrigued with a betts gamble. Maybe that was the piece Hahn was talking about being tempting at the winter meetings (and making sure the move lined up with our window)

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why is everyone speculating some big deal about to be announced? 

There is a recent rumor that the Sox are still going after Puig, even after signing Encarnacion.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1210329167822233600

Some people are interpreting it as the Sox playing games with Castellanos and Boras so they lower their demands because he’s the outfielder the Sox truly want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's not good.  That's the problem.  People still have this idea in their head (not all but many) that he's this dynamic 5 WAR talent still in his prime.   He's produced 3 WAR in his last 300 games.   If he was still good, he'd already be on a roster, but, he's not.  He'll be lucky to sign a 1 year deal for around 8-12 million.

This.  He isn't good.  Yet people still think it's 5 years ago and he somehow *hasnt* proven to be a mediocre player not worth the headache. 

• Like 1