Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That was the point I was going to make. Engel plays CF vs. LHP, Robert plays RF. 

If you're planning a starting lineup (even a weak side platoon) that requires moving guys around so that you can get ABs for Adam Engel, you're probably doing something wrong 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If you're planning a starting lineup (even a weak side platoon) that requires moving guys around so that you can get ABs for Adam Engel, you're probably doing something wrong 

Well yeah, but Engel has a noodle arm and Robert doesn't. Can't put a noodle arm in RF. 

IIRC Engel is one of the best CF defenders in baseball. He might be better than Robert as a CF. 

It's Bruuuce and I'm guessing his source is Steve Stone. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

They are not repeat not signing Puig. Castellanos too makes no sense.  One year stop gap makes sense only.  Hahn has had years to put the rebuild together, he will not be another Cubs failure.   A trade could happen or a lower level signing for RF.  It’s been a great off season don’t be greedy or stupid.  

Just for the record, Stone isn’t even under contract with the White Sox at the moment.  I don’t think they’re using him to message the fanbase and I don’t believe he has real time info on what they’re doing.  I think he has a high level understanding of their broader plan but most of what he tweets is just educated speculation.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just for the record, Stone isn’t even under contract with the White Sox at the moment.  I don’t think they’re using him to message the fanbase and I don’t believe he has real time info on what they’re doing.  I think he has a high level understanding of their broader plan but most of what he tweets is just educated speculation.

Disagree, he’s been dead on with his predictions this offseason. He mentioned he talks to Jerry on occasion about the team. He all but stated prior to the signing broke yesterday why the team went with EE over Castellanos.

Edited by fathom

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Disagree, he’s been dead this offseason. He mentioned he talks to Jerry on occasion about the team. He all but stated prior to the signing broke yesterday why the team went with EE over Castellanos.

Yep, and I seriously doubt Stone not being signed means much.  I have no doubt he will be back in the booth once a deal is worked out with him.  They aren’t going to let Stone go before the first season of their competitive window.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Disagree, he’s been dead this offseason. He mentioned he talks to Jerry on occasion about the team. He all but stated prior to the signing broke yesterday why the team went with EE over Castellanos.

He hyped up Bumgarner right after we missed out on Wheeler and it seems pretty obvious he wasn’t in the plans.  I don’t doubt he talks with Jerry from time to time, but I don’t believe for a second the front office is flowing leaks through Stone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He hyped up Bumgarner right after we missed out on Wheeler and it seems pretty obvious he wasn’t in the plans.  I don’t doubt he talks with Jerry from time to time, but I don’t believe for a second the front office is flowing leaks through Stone.

Sox made a similar if not better offer.   I know everyone will be skeptical but he wasn’t coming to American League- especially non West Coast or area team.   

26 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

know this account is complete bullshit, but it actually brings up a good point. If Puig's market is as bad as some seem to think it could be, I wonder if he decides to go overseas.

Puig is exactly the type of guy who fails hard in NPB (prima donna, no discipline, doesn't respect coaches) and is in exactly the type of situation which creates failures in NPB (I'm not getting what I think I'm worth so I'll go trash this weak league and show all of you --  I don't need to make any adjustments at all).

Fifteen years ago, some team would make a huge mistake and pay him a bunch of money. Nowadays, teams scout as much for fit as they do for talent, and IMO I think they'll know to stay away at the type of price that would make him do it.

JDM makes no sense and neither does anybody else on the Sawx right now that wouldn't cost Vaughn++.

I really, really, really, want Castellanos as the dude has been 3rd in the majors in XBHs over the last 3 years and would be a serious offensive upgrade in RF.  I don't think they are going to be making any big splash in RF at this point now though for whatever reason.  It bothers me to get all these pieces and spend all this money and still have a replacement level platoon player as our RF. Mazara is an "upgrade" over negative WAR players we had last year only.  The Sox aren't competing against themselves, they are in fact, competing against the rest of the league.  I like Mazara as depth, not as a starter when clear upgrades are still out there.

I would bet they go for some unsexy RH platoon partner at this point as many of the mouthpieces have basically said that.  You can't be taken serious if Adam Engle is that guy.  He is a terrible hitter.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the Sox probably talked to Bumgarner’s agent and he simply wanted to stay on the west coast so they pivoted to Keuchel.  Both the Sox and Twins were rumored to be in on Bumgarner...

https://mobile.twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1202318280465305603

Also, Stone went from hyping up Bumgarner in one tweet to then talking up Keuchel right before Bumgarner signed with Arizona.  It was like he knew Bumgarner wasn’t happening so he started hyping up the guy the Sox would target next.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Puig is exactly the type of guy who fails hard in NPB (prima donna, no discipline, doesn't respect coaches) and is in exactly the type of situation which creates failures in NPB (I'm not getting what I think I'm worth so I'll go trash this weak league and show all of you --  I don't need to make any adjustments at all).

Fifteen years ago, some team would make a huge mistake and pay him a bunch of money. Nowadays, teams scout as much for fit as they do for talent, and IMO I think they'll know to stay away at the type of price that would make him do it.

I was just going to say he'd be a worse fit in NPB than Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball.

• Haha 2