Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

28 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Could this possibly be the reasons for conflicting reports? Maybe the Sox have reached out and expressed interest but Puig’s team is dragging their feet. Hence the “0 negotiations tweet” from Bruce.

I think it likely has more to do with the Marlins and their offer to Puig.  They are cheap.  It was probably a lowball offer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

18 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think it likely has more to do with the Marlins and their offer to Puig.  They are cheap.  It was probably a lowball offer.

Thats a very good hypothesis...although now Puig has seemingly reduced the number of potential options in any event. 

If the Sox are truly interested they are now in a better position to squeeze him. He could very well end up in Japan if he insists on multiple years and or 10m or more. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Domingo Santana looks like a good platoon option, at least offensively. Defense is pretty bad though.

They aren’t adding another poor glove guy to the mix IMO.  If they do add another OF I’d imagine they would at least provide some defensive value relative to Eloy & Mazara.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They aren’t adding another poor glove guy to the mix IMO.  If they do add another OF I’d imagine they would at least provide some defensive value relative to Eloy & Mazara.

agreed -- Santana may be the worst defensive OF on the board. Just brutal. 

I really cannot see the Sox signing Puig.  

He’s not that good.  They want to give Mazara at bats.  And Puig isn’t going to sign to platoon, especially on the wrong side of it.

I do not dislike Puig and he may be a nice guy.  I just don’t like the potential disruption of a young clubhouse that looks to be coming together really well.  I do believe if a team has enough talent, those kind of teams are the ones that surprise people.  

If he actually is a jerk, that stuff does matter.  You’re not just on a baseball field with him, you’re pretty much tied to him for the majority of the year. 

In short, his production is nowhere near good enough to potentially have his attitude become an obstacle.  I think the the Sox know this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

I really cannot see the Sox signing Puig.  

He’s not that good.  They want to give Mazara at bats.  And Puig isn’t going to sign to platoon, especially on the wrong side of it.

I do not dislike Puig and he may be a nice guy.  I just don’t like the potential disruption of a young clubhouse that looks to be coming together really well.  I do believe if a team has enough talent, those kind of teams are the ones that surprise people.  

If he actually is a jerk, that stuff does matter.  You’re not just on a baseball field with him, you’re pretty much tied to him for the majority of the year. 

In short, his production is nowhere near good enough to potentially have his attitude become an obstacle.  I think the the Sox know this.  

one would hope.

• Like 1