Sox still looking at Puig?

SoCalChiSox

Would be a heck of a platoon with Mazara, although Puig is about equally as effective against RHP and LHP. Still, for one year 8m would be solid.

Per report on Puig. Very weak market. Puig’s reps looking for “Pillow” contract to help restore his value. Entering Age 29 season. Teams w/ veteran Cuban Players (See White Sox)
interested. Especially for a low risk gamble. 1 Yr $8-$10M probably gets Deal Done.
5:40 PM · Dec 25, 2019

12 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Would be a heck of a platoon with Mazara, although Puig is about equally as effective against RHP and LHP. Still, for one year 8m would be solid.

Per report on Puig. Very weak market. Puig’s reps looking for “Pillow” contract to help restore his value. Entering Age 29 season. Teams w/ veteran Cuban Players (See White Sox)
interested. Especially for a low risk gamble. 1 Yr $8-$10M probably gets Deal Done.

Unless I'm making this up, isn't this like the only tweet/report that has linked us at all to him?

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Where did Heyman say this?  This is all I can find about Puig on his twitter feed:

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Have a feeling he's a fall back for Castellanos, who probably isn't getting the offers he expected (Neither is Puig)

Regardless, I think one of them comes here...Give me the cheaper one and I'll be happy

Wonder what Puig's relationship is with Abreu, they had issues in Cuba

If Puig doesn't get along with Abreu he won't be coming here.  This is Abreu's team.

• Like 3

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

I would think Puig could do better than as a platoon bat. If he were willing though, I'd take him as a platoon bat/fallback option to Mazara if he struggles.

I expected him to get a 3 year deal roughly $10 a year, now I see reports of him receiving a 1 year deal to improve his stock

13 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Man, if we get Castellanos or Puig to add to this team, that would be simply incredible... I'd be all in.

Right now they've had a good to great offseason.. but give me puig or castellanos and some RP help and WOW. 

Puig sucks...I do not understand your infatuation with him.

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Puig sucks...I do not understand your infatuation with him.

25/25 threat, batting .275, OBP .333 is not so bad. Id imagine he is ok/decent defensively at least. Super energetic a la Tim Anderson. Him and Anderson on the team makes this Sox team must-see TV.

and on top of it, he still has potential for 'that breakout season'.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

11 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

25/25 threat, batting .275, OBP .333 is not so bad. Id imagine he is ok/decent defensively at least. Super energetic a la Tim Anderson. Him and Anderson on the team makes this Sox team must-see TV.

Puig will never break out unless he dedicates himself to getting better. His best days are behind him He does not work hard at getting better. He admitted it himself. He relies on his own instincts and his own perceived knowledge of the game which in the past has resulted in clashes with coaches about defensive positioning. Everyone knows these things about him which is why he has a soft market.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Seems you care more about good TV & brand name players than a winning team & a positive clubhouse.  Puig is a total selfish douchebag and not the type of influence we want around our young players.  He’s simply not good enough to take a gamble on.

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems you care more about good TV & brand name players than a winning team & a positive clubhouse.  Puig is a total selfish douchebag and not the type of influence we want around our young players.  He’s simply not good enough to take a gamble on.

I think I don't see his attitude as a problem as you and calisoxfan do. I'm definitely ignorant on the topic and could be totally wrong, but just based off of twitter/other resources it seems like most of his teammates like him outside of a select few.

The Sox are gambling on Mazara turning things around. The Rangers were not able to get him to stop chasing balls out of the zone and grounding out.   Grounding into inning killing double plays could get old after a while, especially on a Sox team where RBI guys are up and down the line-up.

I hope the Sox get Castellanos if he could be signed to a 3 year deal for 45-50 with an option for a 4th year.  Mazara can be a 4th outfielder leaving  Engel as  the odd man out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2