Steve Stone Hinting At Another Move: Not Puig / Castellanos

Chisoxfn

Indeed.   That is one reason why I originally wanted Bennintendi or Castellanos, both of whom have weaknesses, but I think are the types of  guys that you probably don't feel compelled to platoon.  Now it looks like the hunt for a better platoon OF than Leury is under way. I don't know, thiat strategy seems a bit crazy to me .

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The new rule change that a reliever will be required to face at least three batters, or pitch to the end of the half-inning in which they enter the game, should minimize this a bit.

Yes but if you get the signature Mazara ground out or worse a gidp, you probably accomplished your objective. Also,  the other Manager probably has another Lefty to face Mazara if he comes up in another key situation.

Mazara could be  making his problem the Sox problem.

We want to solve a problem in RF, not create a new one.

Edited by tray

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Indeed.   That is one reason why I originally wanted Bennintendi or Castellanos, both of whom have weaknesses, but I think are the types of  guys that you probably don't feel compelled to platoon.  Now it looks like the hunt for a better platoon OF than Leury is under way. I don't know, thiat strategy seems a bit crazy to me .

The Sox wanted a lefty bat.  I wanted him too but I’m not sure if Benintendi was ever a realistic option.  Also, the Sox may not have wanted to throw that much money and years at Castellanos when he is not a good defender.  They acquired a cheaper, shorter term solution.  Lefty hitters typically struggle with hitting left handed pitching but that’s just the downside you accept to have a bat that also gets to hit against the majority of righties who make up 75% of pitching in baseball.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Would rather Engel or pillar 1000x over than sign Domingo Santana or Pence. The offense addition isn’t good enough to warrant their DH only defense.

Yes, if they add another righty bat with no glove, they would just have to keep Engel on the roster anyways.  Leury is a joke in CF.  I’d prefer Pillar as an upgrade to Engel.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think the Sox want to win next year. Thus, there is no way they will have a lineup featuring Engel, Garcia, Mensick, and Mazara for 2-3 weeks. That would defeat the purpose of putting this roster together. Maybe Luis and or Magical get extensions, or maybe they sign better stop gaps. Or, maybe Nick Castellanos won't find a big three or four year deal and will settle for a prove it deal. 

My own personal opinion that 2-3 weeks of Garcia, Mendick, Mazara is not hurting this team in any way. It's more likely than not that a Robert and Madrigal will struggle as most rookies do with their first taste of big league action. Also I think people get really excited around all these deals, sometimes fail to realize that this team while improved still has some real deficiencies. 

Just now, tray said:

But I'm not buying it 🤨

I am not a fan of Mazara either but if he’s the worst bat in the lineup, the Sox offense should be fine.  The bigger question mark will be the pitching staff.  Will guys like Cease and Lopez turn it around?  Will the bullpen be good enough?

The best part about Zobrist is he can play 2B for the first couple weeks before becoming a bench bat and platoon option in RF. He is a good fit. 

But I am also good rolling with Mendick at 2B with Leury in CF and Mazara in RF against LHP. Then Engel in CF and Leury in RF against LHP. It’ll work just fine for a few weeks.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tray said:

It is difficult to address the weakness of having a guy like Mazara with bad splits in the line-up. You want him to be up in the lineup 7th, 8th and 9th innings to get the big  hit when you need it. However, let's say the Sox are in a close game is the the 4th inning with men on 1st and 3rd and one out.  Mazara comes up. You are the opposing Manager and know  Mazara's splits so you signal for your big Lefty out of the pen.Mazara obliges your strategy by grounding into an inning ending, rally killing, game changing, ball-busting double play.  Or you are Renteria and you anticipate a signature Mazara gidp so you pinch hit Engel for Mazara. Engel who is forced to come in cold (w/o warming up) , probably whiffs anyway but whatever happens, you now have Engel or another weaker bat in the line-up for the last 4-5 innings of a game you need some runs to win.

My point (which I probably should have condensed) is that bad splits are not that easily addressed with a platoon regime.  And, IMHO, a Mazara and Puig  platoon is just a head shaker. Even if the Mazara platoon mate is not as goofy as Puig, I still think it isn't an ideal situation. Platooning might only compound problems by having two incomplete players that never gain consistency because they are always being substituted for, passed over, and not  given the confidence that they need to possibly become legit full time starting players.

Lol...if the opposing team wants to play for the win in the 4th inning by pulling their starter to get Mazara out I’ll happily take my chances against their bullpen for five innings with a lineup that will still have Moncada, Eloy, Grandal, Abreu, Encarnación, Anderson, Robert, & Madrigal in it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

My own personal opinion that 2-3 weeks of Garcia, Mendick, Mazara is not hurting this team in any way. It's more likely than not that a Robert and Madrigal will struggle as most rookies do with their first taste of big league action. Also I think people get really excited around all these deals, sometimes fail to realize that this team while improved still has some real deficiencies. 

The premise is that those 10 to 15 games missed early on can be the difference between winning a division or not. You don't need stars there, just some sort of competence where they wouldn't be a complete liability. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The best part about Zobrist is he can play 2B for the first couple weeks before becoming a bench bat and platoon option in RF. He is a good fit. 

But I am also good rolling with Mendick at 2B with Leury in CF and Mazara in RF against LHP. Then Engel in CF and Leury in RF against LHP. It’ll work just fine for a few weeks.  

Zobrist would really be a perfect fit for what we need.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...if the opposing team wants to play for the win in the 4th inning by pulling their starter to get Mazara out I’ll happily take my chances against their bullpen for five innings with a lineup that will still have Moncada, Eloy, Grandal, Abreu, Encarnación, Anderson, Robert, & Madrigal in it.

That’d be idiotic anyhow. What would stop us from then PHing for Mazara? Besides, only in Fantasy Analogy Land can GIDPs in the 4th inning be game changing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

That’d be idiotic anyhow. What would stop us from then PHing for Mazara? Besides, only in Fantasy Analogy Land can GIDPs in the 4th inning be game changing.

Well in his scenario Engel comes in “cold” and strikes out.  Remember, no other teams in baseball use platoons and none certainly use pinch hitters, so we’re basically doomed with Mazara in the fold now that opposing teams have learned they can simply use a LOOGY in the 4th to win games.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well in his scenario Engel comes in “cold” and strikes out.  Remember, no other teams in baseball use platoons and none certainly use pinch hitters, so we’re basically doomed with Mazara in the fold now that opposing teams have learned they can simply use a LOOGY in the 4th to win games.

Yeah, your initial response was correct. Have fun using your pen for five innings against Jimenez, Moncada, Robert, Encarnación, Grandal, Abreu, and Anderson.

I’ve always been a big supporter of the Mazara acquisition. But I’ve also pointed out that Texas mostly had him batting cleanup. That’s a weak lineup and I’m not a fan. For us, next year, Mazara will probably be batting eighth and that will work just fine.

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Yeah, your initial response was correct. Have fun using your pen for five innings against Jimenez, Moncada, Robert, Encarnación, Grandal, Abreu, and Anderson.

I’ve always been a big supporter of the Mazara acquisition. But I’ve also pointed out that Texas mostly had him batting cleanup. That’s a weak lineup and I’m not a fan. For us, next year, Mazara will probably be batting eighth and that will work just fine.

His splits are not ideal for our need, but what about Cameron Maybin? 

He can play any outfield position, and actually put together a really solid season in 2019. In the event one of our outfielders got injured we would be far from screwed with him in the mix. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Don't be surprised to see Mendick in the OF for some ST games.

26 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The premise is that those 10 to 15 games missed early on can be the difference between winning a division or not. You don't need stars there, just some sort of competence where they wouldn't be a complete liability. 

It's a small enough sample that they could just as easily win every game without Robert as they can lose every game with him.