Steve Stone Hinting At Another Move: Not Puig / Castellanos

Chisoxfn

11 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Having a several page debate about the 5th OF is probably the best sign that Spring training needs to happen yesterday. 

First televised game a month from tomorrow.😀

Edited by poppysox
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Having a several page debate about the 5th OF is probably the best sign that Spring training needs to happen yesterday. 

It’s still somewhat interesting with Stone hinting that the opening day roster isn’t finalized yet.  And there are still some good bats out there.

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t mind him but you have to avoid overexposing him like last year.

I think AAA talent is another consideration on bench players. Some teams use utility players to fill in during stretches of the season while they give young players a chance to develop their game at AAA. But we know a starter or two will go down for an extended period of time. That is when the AAA roster becomes important. Hopefully you have a young player to bring up and fill in if your utility player is not the answer for long stretches.  

41 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You can't carry 14. 13 max. But I agree with the premise. I think a 7 man bp would even be fine. 

I actually miss the days of 6 man BPs.

If there's a max of 13, how would the White Sox only have 4 bench spots? They'd have 5.

Engel

Mendick

McCann

Leury 

Collins

If you want a bat that can play OF then Collins goes down. Engel should be on the roster (cant believe I'm saying that)

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

48 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I know you don't really believe this.  Avi would have looked great in RF last year in comparison to what we had.  Did you really believe Palka was going to outperform Avi in RF.  Even "Mr. Positivity" didn't believe that Palka was the RF answer.

Yea I absolutely beleive that Avis last year in a sox uniform was total dogshit and that led them to non tendering him instead of going to arbitration and paying him a ridiculous sum that he didn't deserve.  Palka factored into that decision in no way whatsoever, they moved on from an underperforming player who can't stay healthy and whose production never matched the hype 

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If there's a max of 13, how would the White Sox only have 4 bench spots? They'd have 5.

Engel

Mendick

McCann

Leury 

Collins

If you want a bat that can play OF then Collins goes down. Engel should be on the roster (cant believe I'm saying that)

9 starting players

5 starting pitchers

8 relievers

22 players

So 4 spots left for bench for a 26-man roster.

Edited by soxfan2014

54 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

it was @bmags being funny that's all.

That's not true. He called poppys opinion complete bullshit, then agreed with half of it, then expressed an opinion poppy already got at by saying engel would have never had 1000 abs with any other club. Poppy said people hate on these guys so much because they were overexposed, and they were.

I'd rather get a true safety net this year, but all poppy has said was leury and engel are good bench spots, and I don't think that's "complete bullshit".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What is this, the National League? 8 position players + DH = 9 starting players lineup.

It will be interesting in the National league. They may not be able to do multiple relievers in an inning but with the extra bat on the bench they can roll out multiple pinch hitters on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I know you don't really believe this.  Avi would have looked great in RF last year in comparison to what we had.  Did you really believe Palka was going to outperform Avi in RF.  Even "Mr. Positivity" didn't believe that Palka was the RF answer.

If Avi had repeated his 2017 I have no doubt that the Sox would have paid his Arb #.  He was clearly injured most of 2018 and his play reflected that.  Add that to his injury history and his Arb #, non-tendering him was the right move.  Giving flash-in-the-pan-Palka a longer look in a rebuilding year probably didn't factor into the decision.  It was clear that it was time to move on from Avi.

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

If anything I don't believe in Leury as a backup infielder. I really think we need something more substantial on the left side of the infield.

I love me some Leury, but yeah, he really shouldn't be counted on as more than an emergency fill in at SS.  Mendick's fielding % at SS & 3B in the minors isn't so hot either.

3 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I love me some Leury, but yeah, he really shouldn't be counted on as more than an emergency fill in at SS.  Mendick's fielding % at SS & 3B in the minors isn't so hot either.

Plus I never know what to make of it when they move a guy to be pretty much a full time 2b in minors. Someone pointed out they used him all over in september, but still worry about the isseu if moncada is out with a hammy or something for 3 weeks. 

Now madrigal may be the answer here, and we instead can just focus on what's available in 2b which there is a bit more there.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Plus I never know what to make of it when they move a guy to be pretty much a full time 2b in minors. Someone pointed out they used him all over in september, but still worry about the isseu if moncada is out with a hammy or something for 3 weeks. 

Now madrigal may be the answer here, and we instead can just focus on what's available in 2b which there is a bit more there.

Mendick sported a .968 fielding % in 131 games at SS in BHam in 2018 vs a .994 in 42 games at Charlotte in 2019.  .971 in 325 games at SS in total.  

Can play SS vs play well vs do we want him filling in on the left side of the infield if someone needs an IL stint?  Sox probably look for a veteran UTIL.