Steve Stone Hinting At Another Move: Not Puig / Castellanos

Chisoxfn

11 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Mendick sported a .968 fielding % in 131 games at SS in BHam in 2018 vs a .994 in 42 games at Charlotte in 2019.  .971 in 325 games at SS in total.  

Can play SS vs play well vs do we want him filling in on the left side of the infield if someone needs an IL stint?  Sox probably look for a veteran UTIL.

As of now, who is likely to start at SS in Charlotte?

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As of now, who is likely to start at SS in Charlotte?

If Mendick doesn't make the MLB team out of Spring Training, I let him start at SS until Madrigal gets called up. Then, depending on how he is handling SS, move him to 2B when Madrigal gets called up.

Edited by soxfan2014

49 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It will be interesting in the National league. They may not be able to do multiple relievers in an inning but with the extra bat on the bench they can roll out multiple pinch hitters on a regular basis.

They just really need to adopt the DH and get rid of the pitcher hitting. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think I'll make that my signature to humble myself whenever I speak confidently against someone else's opinion... "Well Ray Ray, you thought only 8 position players were playing at a time in the AL for like 3 seconds."

Depends on your definition of playing. You are correct from a particular point of view. 😁

5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

If Mendick doesn't make the MLB team out of Spring Training, I let him start at SS until Madrigal gets called up. Then, depending on how he is handling SS, move him to 2B when Madrigal gets called up.

I don't believe it is an absolute that Madrigal doesn't start with the big club.  Eloy's extension came late in ST.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I don't believe it is an absolute that Madrigal doesn't start with the big club.  Eloy's extension came late in ST.

With Eloy we had a good idea of how much money it would take to make it happen. Ditto Robert. They gave up 1 year of control and got the 2 highest contracts in history for guys who had never come up.

How much does Madrigal get? Does his contract compare to Anderson's? He's still a top draft pick and a top 50 prospect, should he get an offer closer to Eloy's? Is he a future all star or a future average player? Is he willing to give up several years of control like Anderson or only 1 year like the other guys? I legitimately don't know how to value him without a big league track record. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Dude would have to sign dirt cheap and give up a few years of free agency to be worth it. They only got one year for Eloy and Robert. For the risk to be worth it, hes gotta give up 2 or 3.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

With Eloy we had a good idea of how much money it would take to make it happen. Ditto Robert. They gave up 1 year of control and got the 2 highest contracts in history for guys who had never come up.

How much does Madrigal get? Does his contract compare to Anderson's? He's still a top draft pick and a top 50 prospect, should he get an offer closer to Eloy's? Is he a future all star or a future average player? Is he willing to give up several years of control like Anderson or only 1 year like the other guys? I legitimately don't know how to value him without a big league track record. 

Id look at Scott kingerys personally. I wouldn’t care anyway, just bring him up. 

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Dude would have to sign dirt cheap and give up a few years of free agency to be worth it. They only got one year for Eloy and Robert. For the risk to be worth it, hes gotta give up 2 or 3.

Rick seems to know how to sell extensions.  He will get it done IMO.

19 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Madrigal 6 years 24 million.  2 club options for 10 million each.

Boom. Who says no?

Actually a good deal for both sides.  Lifetime security for the player...bargain for the team if he is all that they think he is.  Get er done Rick.

29 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Madrigal 6 years 24 million.  2 club options for 10 million each.

Boom. Who says no?

No one but Madrigal and his agent if he thinks he’s legit.  $24 million is chump change.  But the two bigger team options are definitely in line with what Hahn would look to do.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Theres no rush to sign Madrigal to a defined extension. His type of play isn't the type that lends itself to big arbitration raises. Robert and Eloy could smash 40-50HR and all of a sudden you're paying them $28mm like Arenado at the end. Madrigal will never grade out like a player like that. If he plays like we're expecting he's the perfect type of player... not too expensive.. but just produces and is a key part of the team. He's the Mark Buerhle of position players.. not flashy, but gets the job done. 

22 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The lineup & rotation are 100% set.  The bullpen has at least five locks in Colome, Bummer, Herrera, Cishek, & Fry and two more guys with very high likelihood’s of making the OD roster in Marshall & Cordero.  They could add a long-man but it seems pretty apparent they are looking to add bench depth.  I do like Mendick, but I wouldn’t be against adding two veteran bench pieces.  We are definitely lacking both OF depth and left-side infield depth (especially in the event of an injury).  That being said, I only expect one addition and could see it being Yolmer unfortunately.