Steve Stone Hinting At Another Move: Not Puig / Castellanos

Chisoxfn

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The lineup & rotation are 100% set.  The bullpen has at least five locks in Colome, Bummer, Herrera, Cishek, & Fry and two more guys with very high likelihood’s of making the OD roster in Marshall & Cordero.  They could add a long-man but it seems pretty apparent they are looking to add bench depth.  I do like Mendick, but I wouldn’t be against adding two veteran bench pieces.  We are definitely lacking both OF depth and left-side infield depth (especially in the event of an injury).  That being said, I only expect one addition and could see it being Yolmer unfortunately.

Zobrist and a cheap reliever please.

• Like 1

If Nolan Arrenado can be had, Hahn should strike while the iron is hot. Arrenado is signed through 2025. He is 28. He is a top 5 hitter in all of baseball and has been for the last 5 years running now. He is a 7 time Gold Glove winner. At only between $19-25 MM per year, that is a very reasonable contract to absorb for a player of this caliber. Especially given what Harper and Machado got. Won't even mention Cole or Strausburg as they are pitchers.

No offense to our nice looking prospects, but none of them are Arrenado. A future first ballot HOF. Any knowledgeable baseball fan would laugh at the notion that any of our prospects are even equal to Arrenado. Why not get the prime years of this guy if we can get him when all scuttlebutt says Colorado is willing to move him for the right offer?

Trade package: Tim Anderson, Luis Alexander Basabe, Carlos Rodon, Dane Dunning.

Colorado gets 2 major league ready players. Batting champion who can play SS (and is signed through 2022 at a nice contract) and proven innings eating Starter with Ace upside albeit an injury history. Colorado also gets a close to major league ready OF and a Top 100 pitching prospect albeit with a recent Tommy John. Colorado unloads the massive contract and lets them start rebuilding but with ready made pieces to not require a total tear down.

White Sox get a legit, top 5 MLB player. An elite cornerstone 3rd baseman especially defensively. A middle of the lineup anchor who just mashes. The kind of guy they can someday build a statue on the concourse for. A guy who can finally play for a true contender for the entirety of his prime years. White Sox can move Yoan back to 2nd and slot Madrigal to his natural, college gold glove winning position. With Eloy and Robert signed for long contracts already, Sox can easily unload Basabe without a thought as there is only 1 OF spot opened for the next 7-8 years barring serious injuries. With the plethora of Pitching prospects and the No. 11 pick in a 2020 draft that is loaded with quality pitching prospects, Dunning would not be missed either ... if they can get Arrenado. With 2, elite, 19 year old pitchers drafted in rounds 2 and 3 of 2019 draft and another elite arm drafted at No. 11 in 2020, why would anyone say "Dunning is a deal breaker"? LOL.

To get a player like Arrenado, this package gets it done.

Edited by YouGottaBeBleepingMe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

If Nolan Arrenado can be had, Hahn should strike while the iron is hot. Arrenado is signed through 2025. He is 28. He is a top 5 hitter in all of baseball and has been for the last 5 years running now. He is a 7 time Gold Glove winner. At only between $19-25 MM per year, that is a very reasonable contract to absorb for a player of this caliber. Especially given what Harper and Machado got. Won't even mention Cole or Strausburg as they are pitchers.

No offense to our nice looking prospects, but none of them are Arrenado. A future first ballot HOF. Any knowledgeable baseball fan would laugh at the notion that any of our prospects are even equal to Arrenado. Why not get the prime years of this guy if we can get him when all scuttlebutt says Colorado is willing to move him for the right offer?

Colorado gets 2 major league ready players. Batting champion who can play SS (and is signed through 2022 at a nice contract) and proven innings eating Starter with Ace upside albeit an injury history. Colorado also gets a close to major league ready OF and a Top 100 pitching prospect albeit with a recent Tommy John. Colorado unloads the massive contract and lets them start rebuilding but with ready made pieces to not require a total tear down.

White Sox get a legit, top 5 MLB player. An elite cornerstone 3rd baseman especially defensively. A middle of the lineup anchor who just mashes. The kind of guy they can someday build a statue on the concourse for. A guy who can finally play for a true contender for the entirety of his prime years. White Sox can move Yoan back to 2nd and slot Madrigal to his natural, college gold glove winning position. With Eloy and Robert signed for long contracts already, Sox can easily unload Basabe without a thought as there is only 1 OF spot opened for the next 7-8 years barring serious injuries. With the plethora of Pitching prospects and the No. 11 pick in a 2020 draft that is loaded with quality pitching prospects, Dunning would not be missed either ... if they can get Arrenado. With 2, elite, 19 year old pitchers drafted in rounds 2 and 3 of 2019 draft and another elite arm drafted at No. 11 in 2020, why would anyone say "Dunning is a deal breaker"? LOL.

Who is our SS under this scenario?

18 minutes ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

White Sox get a legit, top 5 MLB player. An elite cornerstone 3rd baseman especially defensively. A middle of the lineup anchor who just mashes.

Arenado is not a top 5 MLB player if you take him away from Coors. Why do people not understand this?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

Good post . Just a few things . There is an Arenado thread and notice the difference in how I spelled Arenado and how you did.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lane said:

Arenado is not a top 5 MLB player if you take him away from Coors. Why do people not understand this?

Probably because he has never played all his home games away from Coors. Lots of guys are better at home than the road. Nobody thought much of DJ LeMahieu who put up great seasons at Coors and was always better there than on the road .

Then the Yankees sign him for 2 years $24M and he puts up 6 WAR . Great is great no matter where you play. Coors is a factor but not a factor that defines his greatness. Any player defined as top 5 is arguable unless it's Trout.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess I got confused when he said move him back to his natural, college gold glove winning position when he was a 2B in college.

LOL Yea that confused me too but Madrigal was the only guy he could possibly mean. That's why I said pretty sure he meant Madrigal ,

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say there is a zero percent chance the Sox trade Anderson.  He’s just got that star factor that a team like the Sox is going to value like crazy.

You are right and even though I suggested signing Rendon and moving Yoan to 2nd  a while ago they are not moving Yoan either or trading for Arenado .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Is Colorado really looking for that much talent, in their attempts to trade Arenado? I would think that it would take less. That contract is not exactly a bargain. As has been pointed out, the acquiring team would only be getting two guaranteed years of his service, because of his opt out. Seems like a lot to give up for just two years.

Edited by Lillian

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Is Colorado really looking for that much talent, in their attempts to trade Arenado? I would think that it would take less. That contract is not exactly a bargain.

I'm sure they are looking for as much as they can get. But that 2021 player opt out looms large in any potential deal. Pretty odd it was the GM who pushed for the opt out and now it's potential snag in getting the most they can for him.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/01/rockies-nolan-arenado-opt-out-clause/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm sure they are looking for as much as they can get. But that 2021 player opt out looms large in any potential deal. Pretty odd it was the GM who pushed for the opt out and now it's potential snag in getting the most they can for him.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/01/rockies-nolan-arenado-opt-out-clause/

Player options are poison pills imo.  Owners were pushing for them a few years ago as a way to drive down AAV (while banking on continuing strong yearly MLB revenue growth) but I don't think smart clubs will hand them out so easily from here on out.  As I've said repeatedly here and elsewhere it leaves the club on the hook for all the downside projection on the contract and very little of the surplus.

Sox aren't gonna trade Tim Anderson.  Nor move Mocada off of 3B.

Arenado makes any team better in a vacuum, but the acquisition cost is too great.  Moving a burgeoning star under team control for 4 more years off of 3B (his best position) while creating a massive hole at SS and losing that marketing/swag/face of franchise/team leader for only 2 guaranteed years of a guy making $35M per just makes zero sense. 

Sox have more pressing needs in the near future to mess up their rebuild with short sided moves. 

3 hours ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

I would be easily on board with that package. HOWEVER. 

You have to look at it from two sides ... why would Colorado want Anderson? They already have a log jam in the infield. They have Arenado, Story, Rodgers, McMahon, and Hampson. If they're getting rid of Arenado it's going to be a for a nice pitching prospects. They'll slide McMahon over to third, Rodgers slots in at 2b, and Hampson slots in at CF, 2B, UTIL. 

They also have some decent OF prospects... 

If I was the Rockies I'd be fine letting Arenado go - attaching Desmond, and then getting 2 pitching prospects like a Dunning/Rodon (Rodon not exactly a prospect). But in that scenario they clear nearly $50mm of payroll and add arms to their rotation that is very thin after Marquez and Gray. It opens up their infield for a top 20 prospect in Rodgers.

I'd think, if the Sox are willing to play big boy ball on payroll for a few years when it doesn't matter, you do Arenado and Desmond for Collins, a pitching prospect like Dunning or Steiver, and then a lower level pitching prospect. It may actually get it done ... the PR is the toughest part for Colorado, but other than that, it almost makes their team better for the next 2-4 years just due to payroll flexibility and ability to slot in some of their prospects a bit better 

But in that scenario you're playing Moncada in RF, and I don't know enough about the reality of that. 

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Madrigal didn't play SS in college.  

The only reason he didnt was that OSU had one of the top defensive players in the nation there. His scouting reports all say he has all the tools to be an average MLB SS but his arm is more suited to a GG caliber 2B.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Player options are poison pills imo.  Owners were pushing for them a few years ago as a way to drive down AAV (while banking on continuing strong yearly MLB revenue growth) but I don't think smart clubs will hand them out so easily from here on out.  As I've said repeatedly here and elsewhere it leaves the club on the hook for all the downside projection on the contract and very little of the surplus.

I said this back when the Cubs signed Heyward. Player only options are awful deals for the teams. Sometimes it may be the only way to convince a player to sign though and some teams are willing to risk it.