Steve Stone Hinting At Another Move: Not Puig / Castellanos

Chisoxfn

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You are entitled to your opinion.

Stats prove out his opinion to be fact when it comes to Engel versus Maybin.

Also, with Steve Stone tweeting that the Sox aren’t done making moves (most likely for bench pieces), it appears that Hahn may disagree with your opinion as well.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

10 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Ideal bench players are guys who can play some defense and hit a bit.  Engel is all glove and no bat and Leury is mediocre at both and makes boneheaded defensive plays.  No fans of other teams are jealous for an Engel on their bench.  James McCann as a backup catcher?  Sure, but the rest of our bench is mostly mediocre to bad.

Garcia is a guy that can play some defense and hit a bit.  Engel has a glove that is valuable when corner outfielders don't have gloves.  James McCann was on the All Star team.  Engel and Garcia both have the additional plus of having some speed.  I stand by my opinion that our backups are quite sufficient.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Stats prove out his opinion to be fact when it comes to Engel versus Maybin.

Also, with Steve Stone tweeting that the Sox aren’t done making moves (most likely for bench pieces), it appears that Hahn may disagree with your opinion as well.

That's Sox speak for welcome back Yolmer.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That's Sox speak for welcome back Yolmer.

I dunno, Yolmer himself telling kitekrazy's brother that he is no longer with the white sox is Sox Speak for he isn't coming back imo.  Things could change but seems like they moved on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I dunno, Yolmer himself telling kitekrazy's brother that he is no longer with the white sox is Sox Speak for he isn't coming back imo.  Things could change but seems like they moved on

You might be right.  Yolmer and Avi both priced themselves off the WS.  Classic cases of 3 million dollar players needing to be paid 6 million.  Since WS didn't invite Avi back...Sanchez might be in the same position.  IMO Garcia, Engel, Sanchez and Avi where all OK as pieces...just overexposed as everyday starters.

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

With Engel and Garcia we have ideal bench pieces but they have been over exposed to WS fans.  If they had been doing their thing for another team...many here would b extolling their virtues.

I get your Mr. Positivity, but this is complete bullshit.  First off, most people here are completely fine with Leury as a bench piece.  Engel is the issue for most of us and I seriously doubt any other team would have given him 1,000+ plate appearances.  If we could rock a seven man bench sure he’d be great as a late inning defensive replacement, but most likely we’ll have a four man bench and we can’t afford one of those guys being a career 37% below league average when our entire OF lacks durability.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I get your Mr. Positivity, but this is complete bullshit.  First off, most people here are completely fine with Leury as a bench piece.  Engel is the issue for most of us and I seriously doubt any other team would have given him 1,000+ plate appearances.  If we could rock a seven man bench sure he’d be great as a late inning defensive replacement, but most likely we’ll have a four man bench and we can’t afford one of those guys being a career 37% below league average when our entire OF lacks durability.

You seem to agree with his point?

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Eh you can go with 2 OF on the bench. One for defensive purposes for CF and more of a corner/depth piece.

That sounds like Eaton and Garcia.  I have offered up more than once a Pence type would also work.  Players that field like Eaton and hit like Pence are starters somewhere not bench pieces.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

With Engel and Garcia we have ideal bench pieces but they have been over exposed to WS fans.  If they had been doing their thing for another team...many here would b extolling their virtues.

I don’t think any White Sox fan would be clamoring for Adam Engel and Leury Garcia if they were on another team, but that’s just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea what you are talking about here.  I fully disagree Adam Engel is a good bench player on a normal sized bench and he think he’s perfect.

I think I have said he is well suited to our needs in a backup role.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You might be right.  Yolmer and Avi both priced themselves off the WS.  Classic cases of 3 million dollar players needing to be paid 6 million.  Since WS didn't invite Avi back...Sanchez might be in the same position.  IMO Garcia, Engel, Sanchez and Avi where all OK as pieces...just overexposed as everyday starters.

Make no mistakes, Yolmer and Avi played themselves off the white Sox.   Both of them had bad years in critical seasons when the Sox had to shit or get off the pot. This is not a pricing issue.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Make no mistakes, Yolmer and Avi played themselves off the white Sox.   Both of them had bad years in critical seasons when the Sox had to shit or get off the pot. This is not a pricing issue. 

I know you don't really believe this.  Avi would have looked great in RF last year in comparison to what we had.  Did you really believe Palka was going to outperform Avi in RF.  Even "Mr. Positivity" didn't believe that Palka was the RF answer.

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

With the 3 batter rule, why would the White Sox - or any team for that matter - carry 14 pitchers and 12 PP's? 

You can't carry 14. 13 max. But I agree with the premise. I think a 7 man bp would even be fine. 

I actually miss the days of 6 man BPs.

Edited by soxfan2014

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t mind him but you have to avoid overexposing him like last year.

This is the problem that poppysox is not accounting for.  As long as Engel and Leury aren’t overexposed, they are okay as bench players.  But Eloy does get hurt.  We have seen what both Engel and Leury do when they get a lot of playing time and it isn’t very good.

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t think any White Sox fan would be clamoring for Adam Engel and Leury Garcia if they were on another team, but that’s just my opinion.

There really aren’t many bench players that are clamored over so, not that surprising.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I know you don't really believe this.  Avi would have looked great in RF last year in comparison to what we had.  Did you really believe Palka was going to outperform Avi in RF.  Even "Mr. Positivity" didn't believe that Palka was the RF answer.

No one thought Palka would be a better option than Avisail in RF but the Sox were still tanking for a high first round draft pick last year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan