How good do YOU think we can be next season?

SonofaRoache

19 hours ago, poppysox said:

One thing that will help everyone is being surrounded by other good players.

Precisely. For a baseball team, the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts.  I will go back again to Steve Stone drawing  some comparisons to his 1977 SS Hitmen .   Stoney made that analog to convey the sense of synergy that occurs when you have a line-up like the one the Sox FO have  now assembled.   In '77 the sum of the parts included  the momentum  that Sox fans added to.  When the Hitmen mashed, opposing pitchers came under pressure the entire game.....,then their hitters started pressing.   On the other side of that, when a team goes up 4-6 runs, it makes everybody better,,,,pitchers, hitters and even the Manager. Confidence and momentum are huge.  The line-up we have now is potentially crazy good - a rare combination of speed and power .

The glass half empty would be if Eloy, Mazara or Robert get injured diving for balls in the outfield like Avi did.. Maybe let a few of them drop and live to fight another day. 

Edited by tray

16 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Watch them turn into gold, its only fitting. God I hate the twins so much

Hill is out until June or July. Pineda is out until mid May, I think. Bailey is bad. But the Twins are great at turning garbage into gold. I just think this year the Sox are good enough to keep them at bay

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Hill is out until June or July. Pineda is out until mid May, I think. Bailey is bad. But the Twins are great at turning garbage into gold. I just think this year the Sox are good enough to keep them at bay

My comment was from years of PTSD in the 2000s when we would go 4-14 every season against the Twins due to their ridiculous dome and cheap hits. Their lucky hitters slapped the shit out of us and I will always hate the Twins more than any other organization in baseball because of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

My worry is the Twins nab Donaldson, putting them at a pretty big advantage over the Sox in 2020.

You are totally right that the Twins get the absolute most out of players. Their bullpen is also several steps ahead of ours. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 3:27 PM, soxfan49 said:

I think they can win 85-88 games.

I think they can win 92-95 if Cease makes a jump and Kopech comes back and has a decent impact.

Kopech  will come back guns blazing and be the best pitcher on the staff IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, wsd said:

Kopech  will come back guns blazing and be the best pitcher on the staff IMO

If Kopech does this, Gio repeats or has similar numbers to last year with what Keuchel can do and having Cease take the next step this rotation will be pretty Nasty regardless of who the 5th guy is.

On December 30, 2019 at 4:40 PM, reiks12 said:

Offense:

1. Robert .295 AVG, .340 OBP, .538 SLG, .878 OPS

2. Moncada .310 AVG, .370 OBP, .544 SLG, .914 OPS

3. Abreu .260 AVG, 325 OBP, .460 SLG, .785 OPS

4. Grandal .234 AVG, .369 OBP, .470 SLG, .839 OPS

5. Encarnacion .253 AVG, .338 OBP, .512 SLG, .850 OPS

6. Eloy .292 AVG, .348 OBP, .589 SLG, .939 OPS

7. Anderson .305 AVG, .332 OBP, .434 SLG, .826 OPS

8. Mazara .286 AVG, .329 OBP, .489 SLG, .818 OPS

9. Madrigal .294 AVG, .342 OBP, .391 SLG, .733 OPS

Special note: Abreu will bat 3rd for the whole season and Soxtalk will go crazy. 

Pitching:

1. Giolito 18-6, 3.11 ERA, 209 IP

2. Keuchel 13-12, 4.19 ERA, 198 IP

3. Cease 10-7, 4.08 ERA, 154 IP

4. Lopez 12-5, 3.88 ERA, 172 IP

5. Gonzalez, 9-12, 4.49 ERA, 179 IP

Kopech 4-6, 4.21 ERA, 88 IP

Rodon 6-3, 3.39 ERA, 92 IP

Special note: Lopez and Cease have themselves great seasons but struggle with pitch counts.

Bullpen and bench will put up average numbers, Colome is going to falter but Bummer becomes a good closer. 

88 wins.

Nice work. I think that with the great offseason, we may things hang in the balance of the unknown. Injuries, regression from the core, off years from vets.  It can also swing positively, which we all hope for. The depth needs to be built stronger. Take a flier on a couple starting pitchers like Walker or Felix if the money is right. Complement Mazara with another piece & see where we are at the drade deadline while not giving away too many good prospects. Happy New Year Sox Fans!!!!

On 12/30/2019 at 3:40 PM, reiks12 said:

Offense:

1. Robert .295 AVG, .340 OBP, .538 SLG, .878 OPS

2. Moncada .310 AVG, .370 OBP, .544 SLG, .914 OPS

3. Abreu .260 AVG, 325 OBP, .460 SLG, .785 OPS

4. Grandal .234 AVG, .369 OBP, .470 SLG, .839 OPS

5. Encarnacion .253 AVG, .338 OBP, .512 SLG, .850 OPS

6. Eloy .292 AVG, .348 OBP, .589 SLG, .939 OPS

7. Anderson .305 AVG, .332 OBP, .434 SLG, .826 OPS

8. Mazara .286 AVG, .329 OBP, .489 SLG, .818 OPS

9. Madrigal .294 AVG, .342 OBP, .391 SLG, .733 OPS

Special note: Abreu will bat 3rd for the whole season and Soxtalk will go crazy. 

Pitching:

1. Giolito 18-6, 3.11 ERA, 209 IP

2. Keuchel 13-12, 4.19 ERA, 198 IP

3. Cease 10-7, 4.08 ERA, 154 IP

4. Lopez 12-5, 3.88 ERA, 172 IP

5. Gonzalez, 9-12, 4.49 ERA, 179 IP

Kopech 4-6, 4.21 ERA, 88 IP

Rodon 6-3, 3.39 ERA, 92 IP

Special note: Lopez and Cease have themselves great seasons but struggle with pitch counts.

Bullpen and bench will put up average numbers, Colome is going to falter but Bummer becomes a good closer. 

88 wins.

Uh, chief, if this happens they're going to win 98 games.

They will hit.

They'll go as far as their pitching takes them.

My biggest concern is Renteria-Cooper. Their inflexibility and non-embrace of metrics is exactly what this team has to move away from.  But then again that's also reflective of the owner.

I want them to sign Puig.

The team needs an attitude and he brings some street cred.

Edited by GradMc

2 hours ago, GradMc said:

iThey will hit.

They'll go as far as their pitching takes them.

My biggest concern is Renteria-Cooper. Their inflexibility and non-embrace of metrics is exactly what this team has to move away from.  But then again that's also reflective of the owner.

I want them to sign Puig.

The team needs an attitude and he brings some street cred.

You might get your wish.  Some of these FA outfielders are going to need to grab a seat in this game of musical chairs.  Puig might still be standing when RH goes shopping for a bargain at the end of the month.