Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Personally I doubt he'll be here in that short of time. People forget Madrigal's numbers in AAA were solid but that last game of the season when he went 5-5 kinda skewed his overall stats. I think he'll need a bit more time than 2 weeks. Now Robert on the other hand is a different case. 

Plus Frazier does play the OF too FYI.

He was hitting .301 before the 5-5 game.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s what I think.  And honestly, I could totally see it being for Rutherford and half the board freaking out.

Good riddance.  He is a worse Ryan Sweeney. Zero power.  He probably won’t even make the majors.  Getting two years of Givens for him would be fine.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Bullpens are such a crapshoot.  Not knowing how bad he turned out, Herrera would have been an exciting pick up right now.  Not knowing how solid Bummer turned out, right now we'd be pissed calling him a key piece. 

I just let Spring Training dictate who gets hot and makes the cut.  Plenty of solid hard throwing arms to choose from, just need to find command and consistency.

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Good riddance.  He is a worse Ryan Sweeney. Zero power.  He probably won’t even make the majors.  Getting two years of Givens for him would be fine.

Rutherford's hitting metrics were pretty good last year.  He had an avg exit velocity of 91 mph.  46% of  his balls in play were 95+ mph and 6% were hit 105+ mph.  There's power in there he just has to lift the ball more often and at 22 years old he has plenty of time to figure that out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Rutherford's hitting metrics were pretty good last year.  He had an avg exit velocity of 91 mph.  46% of  his balls in play were 95+ mph and 6% were hit 105+ mph.  There's power in there he just has to lift the ball more often and at 22 years old he has plenty of time to figure that out.

Where do you find statcast info on minor leaguers??

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s what I think.  And honestly, I could totally see it being for Rutherford and half the board freaking out.

Well, you're probably right, as many people freaked out when Walker was traded, and he is older and a level down, and also has no power.

I wouldn't love trading for Givens, as he has gotten worse each of the last 2 seasons, and really wasn't very good at all last year.  He really has walked a lot of guys.  He'd be ok, but I really think they should be going after Hudson.

Edited by turnin' two

I'm not sure I would trade for Givens either. Last year he wasn't the greatest out of the bullpen for Baltimore as compared to years past. I don't care about his salary, I just think that there might be better options either in a trade or FA. But I'm a guy who really doesn't like Colome either. I feel his stats aren't a true reflection to how he's pitched. He's had alot of good luck with us.  Maybe the Sox feel internally they will have Ty Johnson as an option in a year to replace him.

44 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I wouldn’t trade for Givens. Maddeningly inconsistent and would cost $3M+. Not a better option than options in FA.

Givens is way better than anyone left in free agency with only Harris maybe being close.  And Harris is 35 years old and coming off significant usage.  I get not wanting to give up a prospect when possible, but let’s not downplay Givens’ ability & value.

20 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

But when a better reliever could be had for $5M, it isn’t worth trading a top 10 prospect for.

Rutherford wouldn’t be a top 10 prospect on many teams and he is quickly falling out of that range with the Sox if he can’t even maintain a .750 OPS in the minors.  He is still living off of his high draft pick status without any actual production.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Givens is way better than anyone left in free agency with only Harris maybe being close.  And Harris is 35 years old and coming off significant usage.  I get not wanting to give up a prospect when possible, but let’s not downplay Givens’ ability & value.

Are we talking about the same player? I had him on my fantasy team and all he did was throw meatballs over the plate that gets tagged for long balls. 37% GB rate won’t go pretty at GRF either. He’s been inconsistent for about two years now. Off the top of my head I would take Harris, Cishek, Hudson and McHugh over him.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Where do you find statcast info on minor leaguers??

Seconded, I didn't think there was a way to find this info out.

Wonder what prospects we have that are actually tradeable and have any value? If we are going to trade something for a reliver given what's still on the free agent market it better be someone with at least 2 years of control + a good track record. Unless its someone with closer or at least lockdown 8th inning potential l I have a hard time giving up much more than Sheets or Gonzalez as the best prospect for a reliver, MAYBE Basabe. Should be interesting...if what Stone is alluding to is actually correct of course. 

Maybe there's a bad team out there that would take a chance on Fulmer for a reliever? Something like Fulmer and low level prospect is fine

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

20 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Wonder what prospects we have that are actually tradeable and have any value? If we are going to trade something for a reliver given what's still on the free agent market it better be someone with at least 2 years of control + a good track record. Unless its someone with closer or at least lockdown 8th inning potential l I have a hard time giving up much more than Sheets or Gonzalez as the best prospect for a reliver, MAYBE Basabe. Should be interesting...if what Stone is alluding to is actually correct of course. 

Maybe there's a bad team out there that would take a chance on Fulmer for a reliever? Something like Fulmer and low level prospect is fine

I would say that Stiever is the most valuable, "under the radar", prospect that we have. I think that he could net a pretty good return.