Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

29 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Not sure I want to bring in a guy who's had multiple issues in the locker room. One can be written off. But more than 1 shows a pattern and an issue that the Sox don't need.

I would however, be fine with trading Rutherford for an arm.

I've never heard of this guy being an issue. Can you elaborate?

47 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I would say that Stiever is the most valuable, "under the radar", prospect that we have. I think that he could net a pretty good return.

He is and really the only pitcher in the lower minors we have.
No way should they trade good prospects for relievers, especially pitching prospects.

Go sign Hudson - if Cooper will allow it.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I would say that Stiever is the most valuable, "under the radar", prospect that we have. I think that he could net a pretty good return.

Sure, but who’s left in the system as a pitching prospect? Of the guys we won’t be relying on to contribute in the majors this year it’s pretty much only Dunning, Stiever, and the 2019 draft class as decent SP prospects in our system. I’d prefer to not trade Stiever unless it’s in a package for a guy like Hader or someone dominant.

56 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I've never heard of this guy being an issue. Can you elaborate?

55 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I thought the Kela thing was with the pitching coach not the players?

We're still talking about Kela, right? Timmy posted 2 links earlier. One of them led to this link about his issues when he was with Texas.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article142465809.html

18 minutes ago, quickman said:

the love of whitesox crap prospects amazes me. Win in the majors not the minors. Half if not three quarters of these guys don’t make it. The top guys are great the rest who the hell cares. Trade them and get people on the major league roster. 

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I remember hearing E. Diaz and Mazarra last deadline. They already have Mazarra so maybe the get Diaz as well.

Just reading the Stone tweets, he was quick to say the Sox shouldn’t trade Dunning or Cease. He didn’t say the same for Collins and Basabe.  I do wonder if McCann and some quality prospects (think Stiever) for Diaz could work

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Just reading the Stone tweets, he was quick to say the Sox shouldn’t trade Dunning or Cease. He didn’t say the same for Collins and Basabe.  I do wonder if McCann and some quality prospects (think Stiever) for Diaz could work

Wilson Ramos is a better catcher than McCann. Maybe that could work as a three team trade, but I don't see McCann having a ton of value to the Mets.

12 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why is he a non-entity to any fans younger than 35?  Is he out of touch with younger fans because he’s older?  If that’s the case, the majority of announcers are in the same boat as Stone.  Stone tweets about the Sox and even replies to fans questions.  He appears to be staying in touch to me.

Besides, Benetti couldn’t carry Stone’s jockstrap.

Benetti is cool, and works well with Stoney. Steve would never ask Jason to carry his jock because, you know, he’s not a dick. 

• Haha 1

Not a huge Collins fan, but I really hope he’s not used to acquire a RP, especially one with only a year or two of control.

Collins should be used to a acquire a more impactful player, probably in a package.  If not traded, he can still be useful during the White Sox window as soon as opening day as a LH power bat.  There’s also the small hope he can position himself to be a regular in 2021.  

I’d much rather just sign a RP. If it’s a trade, prospects like Basabe, Rutherford, Pilkington should be used.  It’s shaping up that they will never serve any purpose in this rebuild besides a potential trade chip. 

I posted this in another thread a couple of days ago, but if you look at what the Sox and Hahn have pulled off this off-season, they've added ~15 WAR and gave up Steele Walker in the process. I really doubt that the FO is gonna trade a B+ prospect for a short term fix for the bullpen, unless they've really soured on him. 

Stone eluded to it in a tweet, "you work with your best asset, which is knowing your prospects better than anyone else" ... whatever his tweet was exactly, he was hinting that the Sox might trade a prospect for a reliever, and it's because they don't have that guy's name on KW's big white board.

How many recent trades for relievers netted the other team something substantial? (this isn't a rhetorical question)

Looking through some trade history on the BA trade tracker, not a lot of teams trading relievers got much back other than some salary relief, slot money, or flyer prospects. Only the big names and closer-types drew real returns. 

30 days ago, I'd be thinking differently, but I trust RickyGM.

7 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Edwin Diaz would be a HUGE get, on the level of a Josh Hader IMO. Diaz is a huge bounceback candidate and would give our bullpen the dominant guy. 

That's a pretty big gamble, considering how awful he was last year. I would only do it if he comes somewhat cheap. Anything with Stiever is an immediate no as far as I'm concerned.

Edwin Diaz would be a great bounce back addition for the Sox, having only one off year after 3 stellar ones in Seattle. New York has to get solid value in return that helps their big league club. I could see a 3 team with the Pirates where the mets get Marte. But the cost would be more than most around here would want to give up.