Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Those options may cost a lot of money, which the team may want to use elsewhere? I don't mind trading for a reliever if they have a decent amount of service time remaining. 

2.5 years ago, the conventional wisdom was that we must trade Kahnle because relievers ebb and flow, despite 4+ years of control.  Now to get a reliever it will cost at least Rutherford, which is all we got for Kahnle, Frazier and Robertson (a couple of rule 5 guys added in).
We got Kahnle by dealing the prospect we got for dumping Beckham - there's always dissonance in that kind of move - essentially dumping Beckham for Kahnle. Plus Kahnle hadn't come close to putting it together when acquired.

Don't trade a serious prospect for a reliever.

Edited by GreenSox

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

2.5 years ago, the conventional wisdom was that we must trade Kahnle because relievers ebb and flow, despite 4+ years of control.  Now to get a reliever it will cost at least Rutherford, which is all we got for Kahnle, Frazier and Robertson (a couple of rule 5 guys added in).
We got Kahnle by dealing the prospect we got for dumping Beckham - there's always dissonance in that kind of move - essentially dumping Beckham for Kahnle. Plus Kahnle hadn't come close to putting it together when acquired.

At this point, Rutherford isn't a serious prospect, and he has very little chance to make it to the bigs with the Sox.  I have zero issues whatsoever trading him for a reliever.  The only OF prospect we have worth holding for the time being is Adolfo (besides the obvious in Robert), and maybe Basabe to a lesser extent.  

Edited by ChiSox59

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At this point, Rutherford isn't a serious prospect, and he has very little chance to make it to the bigs with the Sox.  I have zero issues whatsoever trading him for a reliever.  The only OF prospect we have worth holding for the time being is Adolfo (besides the obvious in Robert), and maybe Basabe to a lesser extent.  

Yea - Rutherford for a reliever- okay.  Preferably one that is reasonably young with some control.

26 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Rutherford doesn't have much value other than a throw in, and he doesn't have any realistic path to the majors.

Even if Hahn does nothing to legitimately fix RF (He still hasn't), someone like Adolfo or Basabe would be ahead of Rutherford imo.

12 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Rutherford doesn't have much value other than a throw in, and he doesn't have any realistic path to the majors.

Even if Hahn does nothing to legitimately fix RF (He still hasn't), someone like Adolfo or Basabe would be ahead of Rutherford imo.

Rutherford has enough value to get a live bullpen arm with potential.  That's what they need.  
I'd look at someone like Feliz from the Pirates.  Improving, high Ks, but still hasn't put it all together. 

59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am hesitant to pay what would be necessary for Will Harris.  A 3 year $40M type deal for a soon to be 36 year old probably isn't going to turn out great.  

No way he’s getting that big of a deal.  I’d say he’s looking at something closer to 2/$20M which I still don’t like for us.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

You are nuts. I would be all over a Diaz deal. Now I agree with you that I'm not trading premium talent but if they ask for Stiever for him (for example), I'd probably do it. Edwin is still only 25 (will be 26 in March) and still has 3 years of control left. 

Maybe I am nuts. It just concerns me how bad he was last year. That's more than just an off year. It's downright terrible. How do you know there isn't an injury lurking in there somewhere?

Would be cool to turn a couple of the 40 man filler guys into a pen piece. Need a space for EE anyway. You can always use more pen arms, but I’m actually not SUPER concerned about the pen. I’m hoping Hamilton and Burdi can at least play roles. Along with Colome, Bummer, Fry and Cordero hopefully we can at least have an average pen already. 

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Why don’t people like Harris at something like 2/20?

Probably just because of his age and being worried about blowing 10 million a year IF he busts this year already. Never know with that old of a RP. I personally would be content with it.. 

Edited by cjgalloway

51 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Probably just because of his age and being worried about blowing 10 million a year IF he busts this year already. Never know with that old of a RP. I personally would be content with it.. 

Ah. Makes sense. Especially since 2020 isn’t really the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Why don’t people like Harris at something like 2/20?

Probably because we already have a couple of ~$10M/year bullpen pieces in Herrera and Colome. Sign Harris or similar and we'll be paying our bullpen more than our rotation. How cool is that? I'm actually all for Harris, Hudson, Stammen, or Cishek. Also would trade for Diaz, which I have a sneaky suspicion Hahn is working on as we speak.

I really enjoy the idea of trading for Diaz and making him our closer.. I just think it would take Dunning (who was a top 70 prospect prior to TJ) to get a deal done and I wouldn't want to move him.. Collins + Rutherford sounds fine to me though.  Though I'd imagine the Mets could get more elsewhere should they decide to move them.  I find that uncertain since I don't think they are/or should be rebuilding.

• Like 2

Let's be careful what we wish for in hooking ourselves to a multi year reliever deal just for the sake of "feeling better" about our bullpen. 

Kelvin Herrera made many folks "feel real good" about the bullpen last Winter.  

Bullpens are crap-shoots, just need to hope to get lucky with a bunch of the unknown arms down in the Farm to supplement those we think are already known commodities from last season.  

On 12/31/2019 at 3:19 PM, cjgalloway said:

I really enjoy the idea of trading for Diaz and making him our closer.. I just think it would take Dunning (who was a top 70 prospect prior to TJ) to get a deal done and I wouldn't want to move him.. Collins + Rutherford sounds fine to me though.  Though I'd imagine the Mets could get more elsewhere should they decide to move them.  I find that uncertain since I don't think they are/or should be rebuilding.

That’d be tough for me to swallow especially after 2019.  You’d hope Hahn can play better poker than that

I really wonder if we plan on adding just one reliever or if we’d actually consider two guaranteed deals.  With Colome, Herrera, Bummer, Fry, Marshall, & Cordero more or less in line for spots, that leaves two openings assuming an eight man pen.  Eventually one of our starters will move there as well, so short of an injury (which is probable at some point) things will fill up fast.

But if you truly want to add depth, I’d love a trade a more impactful arm like Diaz or Givens and then sign McHugh as well.  That would give you the makings of a pretty good pen.