Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really wonder if we plan on adding just one reliever or if we’d actually consider two guaranteed deals.  With Colome, Herrera, Bummer, Fry, Marshall, & Cordero more or less in line for spots, that leaves two openings assuming an eight man pen.  Eventually one of our starters will move there as well, so short of an injury (which is probable at some point) things will fill up fast.

But if you truly want to add depth, I’d love a trade a more impactful arm like Diaz or Givens and then sign McHugh as well.  That would give you the makings of a pretty good pen.

I think they should consider two.  Marshall and Cordero are far from sure things considering their history.

Edwin Diaz is so intriguing to me. I have no idea how much it would take to get him, but he’s proven how good he can be and is still under team control for awhile. If the Sox traded for him and he turned things around, he would be the closer and everyone else would move down an inning. That could be a really good bullpen with Bummer/Colomé/Diaz covering the 7th/8th/9th.

15 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Edwin Diaz is so intriguing to me. I have no idea how much it would take to get him, but he’s proven how good he can be and is still under team control for awhile. If the Sox traded for him and he turned things around, he would be the closer and everyone else would move down an inning. That could be a really good bullpen with Bummer/Colomé/Diaz covering the 7th/8th/9th.

This is the key.  If the Sox can add a closer quality reliever, it would greatly strengthen the bullpen.  I am a bit skeptical on Colome being as good as he was last year and would prefer him in a setup role.  A Diaz trade and a McHugh signing would be pretty sick.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

On 12/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, steveno89 said:

No way I pay Will Harris 2/$20 million

According to a writer from mlb.com (Mark Feinsand) Harris is weighing offers with multiple years at 6-7M per year. If we can get him at 2/14 we should have already paid the man. I don’t even have a problem at 3/21. The only obvious issue is his age, but he’s out produced that kind of contract easily. Even if he’s crap the 3rd year, 6-7 mil isn’t a significant enough amount to really hinder the team.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/will-harris-weighing-offers.html

Agree with you guys but that seems like such a win now move.  I love the idea of all that but with the innings limits for Kopech & Cease are we ready to fire a big bullet for Diaz?  Due to the year-to-year volatility of relievers, Diaz included, is this the time to pounce?  Diaz had a down year so he’s cheaper than normal.  Lot to think about- not sure how to sort it out myself. 

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Agree with you guys but that seems like such a win now move.  I love the idea of all that but with the innings limits for Kopech & Cease are we ready to fire a big bullet for Diaz?  Due to the year-to-year volatility of relievers, Diaz included, is this the time to pounce?  Diaz had a down year so he’s cheaper than normal.  Lot to think about- not sure how to sort it out myself. 

If Hahn had only signed one starter this offseason, I would agree with you.  But the opening day rotation should be good enough to compete in every game until Kopech and Rodon are back.  If Lopez or Cease still have their issues, a guy like Collin McHugh would be very valuable to keep them in those games.

Giolito

Keuchel

Cease

Gio

Lopez

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If Hahn had only signed one starter this offseason, I would agree with you.  But the opening day rotation should be good enough to compete in every game until Kopech and Rodon are back.  If Lopez or Cease still have their issues, a guy like Collin McHugh would be very valuable to keep them in those games.

Giolito

Keuchel

Cease

Gio

Lopez

I'd be happy with McHugh.  He'd be solid in the pen and would just provide more depth to SP if needed.  I'd be fine with a 2 year deal for sure.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know this sort of stuff usually doesn’t matter, but I do think it’s important to note that McHugh publicly criticized the White Sox FO a mere 10 months ago:

Who wants to tweet the Robert news back to Mr. McHugh?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know this sort of stuff usually doesn’t matter, but I do think it’s important to note that McHugh publicly criticized the White Sox FO a mere 10 months ago:

Yea he's always been very outspoken. He also retweeted and liked Passan's tweet about the Sox being the first team to put protective netting in the ballpark. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

It is pretty weird that he got the Robert signing yesterday and tweeted both of those relievers a few days ago

I mean, I haven't followed him closely, but hasn't he actually been pretty spot on?  He's either really good at guessing, or maybe he has a source or two.  

26 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yea he's always been very outspoken. He also retweeted and liked Passan's tweet about the Sox being the first team to put protective netting in the ballpark. 

Worth noting that with regard to his outspokenness, he is still without a job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As a fan, going to be pretty hard to have a strong opinion on who the best reliever to sign of what’s left will be.

Harris makes me nervous in that regard, the workload/the age, who knows what next year brings with him.

Cishek is my guess.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

As a fan, going to be pretty hard to have a strong opinion on who the best reliever to sign of what’s left will be.

Harris makes me nervous in that regard, the workload/the age, who knows what next year brings with him.

Cishek is my guess.

That was Brian's guess a few minutes ago. 

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

That was Brian's guess a few minutes ago. 

I’d sign both to one year deals and if possible option second years. Better odds at least one hits. I’d rather have one more than not enough. Having bullpen implode because they couldn’t fill depth of pen just wouldn’t be right, especially since you aren’t talking about long term deals (or at least I assume not).