Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

No he's not.  Ceshek has had the better career and was on our local TVs for the past 2 seasons.  

Need to look at this more not for what they've done, but for what you expect to get from them for the two seasons (assuming they can be had for a two year deal which after the Harris deal doesn't look likely). 

Similar ages and Hudson has no consistency of being a top reliever other than last season. Cishek does.  What are you talking about?  Look at their stats please.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Again, you're missing my point.  Looking at this as future high leverage situations.  

What is your point?  What indicates that Hudson can handle high leverage situations and Cishek can’t?  You still haven’t shown any evidence of this...

7 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Alright man, you win.  Congrats. 

I’m not even saying that Hudson couldn’t be better than Cishek next season but most of the stats point to Cishek being the better bet. I’d be fine with Hahn signing Cishek, Hudson, or McHugh honestly.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m not even saying that Hudson couldn’t be better than Cishek next season but most of the stats point to Cishek being the better bet. I’d be fine with Hahn signing Cishek, Hudson, or McHugh honestly.

This. The Sox aren’t signing their future closer and if Colome goes down or craps the bed they will have a couple options before having to turn to one of these guys in an emergency. They just need another serviceable piece. If the Sox can get a healthy Herrera this season and he can bounce back that is just a bonus. 

7 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

This. The Sox aren’t signing their future closer and if Colome goes down or craps the bed they will have a couple options before having to turn to one of these guys in an emergency. They just need another serviceable piece. If the Sox can get a healthy Herrera this season and he can bounce back that is just a bonus. 

Pretty much, unless they can swing a trade for Diaz, which is probably wishful thinking.  That’s the only huge way I see them improving the bullpen by adding a closer with his stuff and dropping every reliever back a slot.  Other than Diaz, Betances was probably the only guy they could’ve signed that would’ve made a big impact but he wanted to stay in New York.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I still find it interesting that movement happens with these players right after he tweets about them, dating back to Mazara

Cishek has had some very interesting tweets the last month or so, including mentioning the Madrigal for Gallen trade and that they might look for someone better than Mazara in RF

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cishek has had some very interesting tweets the last month or so, including mentioning the Madrigal for Gallen trade and that they might look for someone better than Mazara in RF

Exactly the problem, IMO.  He has been tweeting about Mazara being a bench bat and the Sox going after Puig which makes me question how legit he is.  As a Sox fan, I could’ve told you the second Hahn traded for Mazara that he was acquired to be our starting right fielder.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I missed the segment but supposedly Bruce reported today McCann is not happy about being a back-up catcher and could possibly get dealt for bullpen help

This would be pretty okay with me.  I'm not sure what kind of arm we'd get assuming he goes to a team trying to win.  

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

I missed the segment but supposedly Bruce reported today McCann is not happy about being a back-up catcher and could possibly get dealt for bullpen help

I really do like McCann, but given he’s gone after the 2019 season I’m more than ok with moving him if he we can get a good bullpen arm.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If McCann is unhappy, he is very unlikely to stay past this year, as he will have the opportunity to go elsewhere, as a free agent. As much as I'd love to keep him, if this suggestion that he is unhappy is true, he should be traded. 

McCann was already unlikely to stay past 2020 the minute the Sox signed Grandal.  With Collins around, it makes even less sense.  Many of us thought they should sell high on McCann regardless.  If there is any truth to his unhappiness, Hahn should definitely deal him.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

This sure sounds like typical Levine Cub-biased BS. Supposedly right before the Grandal signing was announced Renteria talked to McCann, who supposedly had nothing but good things to say about that deal. I am not at all against trading McCann if the return is good, but I do not buy what Levine is peddling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

This sure sounds like typical Levine Cub-biased BS. Supposedly right before the Grandal signing was announced Renteria talked to McCann, who supposedly had nothing but good things to say about that deal. I am not at all against trading McCann if the return is good, but I do not buy what Levine is peddling.

You don’t think that could’ve just been “coach speak” from Renteria and that a 29 year old catcher who was an All Star last year would be upset about his now drastically reduced playing time?

If McCann repeated his numbers from last season in 2020, he would likely be in line for a big long-term contract via free agency.  Without much playing time now as a backup, he won’t get to prove that last year wasn’t a fluke to teams that need a catcher next offseason.

A year before he hits unrestricted free agency for the first time in his career, he is made a backup?  I totally buy this rumor.  It makes all the logical sense in the world.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You don’t think that could’ve just been “coach speak” from Renteria and that a 29 year old catcher who was an All Star last year would be upset about his now drastically reduced playing time?

If McCann repeated his numbers from last season in 2020, he would likely be in line for a big long-term contract via free agency.  Without much playing time now as a backup, he won’t get to prove that last year wasn’t a fluke to teams that need a catcher next offseason.

A year before he hits unrestricted free agency for the first time in his career, he is made a backup?  I totally buy this rumor.  It makes all the logical sense in the world.

Yep, this is potentially costing him millions and millions of dollars if he thinks he can repeat the numbers.  I would rather have more lineup versatility than 3 catchers.

16 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

I too won't believe that McCann is unhappy until it comes from an actual Sox source.  

7 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I too won't believe that McCann is unhappy until it comes from an actual Sox source.  

Why would Renteria or a direct Sox source want to share that one of their players is unhappy?  To sabotage his trade value?

Like BackDoorBreach said above, McCann being relegated to backup catcher duties could cost him millions of dollars.  Why would this be a surprise?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

39 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

I agree with you.  McCann isn't the type to air his dirty laundry.

48 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If McCann is unhappy, he is very unlikely to stay past this year, as he will have the opportunity to go elsewhere, as a free agent. As much as I'd love to keep him, if this suggestion that he is unhappy is true, he should be traded. 

He's not staying past this year even if he was happy. He is unhappy because his market value is suffering while being a bench player. I wouldn't trade him, unless it was an offer I couldn't refuse. If something happens to Grandal, you need a reliable guy there. Collins probably won't be ready to handle backup duties for another year. 

• Like 1