Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think he'll get 130 starts at catcher now that EE is in the fold.  McCann is not going to start against every LHP.  

OK. It's not an issue for me, but was rather just an assumption, on my part. McCann's numbers vs. LHP were very good, last season, in 122 at bats: 

295 .372 .492 .864

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

I agree with you and that has been my position, since the Grandal signing. However, I sure wouldn't want a disgruntled guy on the bench, especially since his role as mentor is one of the main objectives in keeping him.

McCann is not the disgruntled type.  We need a strong 1/2 combo as much as anyone.  Only an overpay should pry him loose.  Grandal will need 50 days off to stay fresh.  That's to many games to trust to Collins for now.

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

McCann is not the disgruntled type.  We need a strong 1/2 combo as much as anyone.  Only an overpay should pry him loose.  Grandal will need 50 days off to stay fresh.  That's to many games to trust to Collins for now.

Right, and remember we'll need him rested for all of those Post Season games. How's that for positive thinking? LOL. Seriously, 40 games of rest, would be reasonable. 50 days off might be excessive. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I doubt we go with a five man bench outside of short stretches of the season.  And I really hope we aim higher than guys like Yolmer & Engel if we’re going with a four man bench.

Defense and speed wins many games in the course of a season.  Not many stars are sitting on any teams bench.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I doubt we go with a five man bench outside of short stretches of the season.  And I really hope we aim higher than guys like Yolmer & Engel if we’re going with a four man bench.

I honestly don't get your anti-defense bench position.

I'd actually be fine with Engel as the 4th outfielder. He could be fine vs lefties with a little positive variance (see last year) and he's a fantastic defender and baserunner. Engel the starter makes me irrationally upset, but Engel as a 4th OF'er is such a perfect fit.

This isnt the NL; I've never been a buyer of the power bench bat in the AL. If your regular lineup is talented enough (the Sox is) you don't need some PH masher or hit first player. You need versatile and athletic players who excel defensively and on the bases imo. That's an ideal bench in the modern game. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I honestly don't get your anti-defense bench position.

I'd actually be fine with Engel as the 4th outfielder. He could be fine vs lefties with a little positive variance (see last year) and he's a fantastic defender and baserunner. Engel the starter makes me irrationally upset, but Engel as a 4th OF'er is such a perfect fit.

This isnt the NL; I've never been a buyer of the power bench bat in the AL. If your regular lineup is talented enough (the Sox is) you don't need some PH masher or hit first player. You need versatile and athletic players who excel defensively and on the bases imo. That's an ideal bench in the modern game. 

I’m not anti-defense if there’s utility to be gained from it.  A strong defensive 4th outfielder would be great because of Eloy & Mazara.  Renteria is not pulling Yoan, Timmy, or Madrigal late in the game to use Yolmer as a defensive replacement.  I’d much rather have a guy who can start for a stretch of time and not be a black hole offensively or can contribute beyond just the infield like a Holt or Zobrist.

What I think doesn’t matter though, because Yolmer will almost certainly be the SoxFest “surprise” this year.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who is Yolmer replacing in the field late in a game?

Madrigal, Moncada or Anderson if they got dinged up or anyone needing a day off.  Blowouts, double headers or late inning pinch runner.  A gold glove switch hitter who has started for 3 or 4 years is as good or better than anyone I hear being discussed.  Keep in mind...I think he will be available for 3 or 4 million.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Madrigal, Moncada or Anderson if they got dinged up or anyone needing a day off.  Blowouts, double headers or late inning pinch runner.  A gold glove switch hitter who has started for 3 or 4 years is as good or better than anyone I hear being discussed.  Keep in mind...I think he will be available for 3 or 4 million.

He’s better than Holt?

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Holt isn't much of a defender, is he? I doubt that he is any where near a gold glove second baseman. 

His point was though that Sanchez isn't going to be replacing anyone in the IF late game and he just can't hit.

I would prefer to get a versatile guy that could plug in at IF and corner OF spots as well.

24 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Holt isn't much of a defender, is he? I doubt that he is any where near a gold glove second baseman. 

But why do we need a gold glove, no bat 2B on our bench?  Holt provides a much better bat and more versatility.  IMO, he is a far more useful piece based on our roster construction than Yolmer.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But why do we need a gold glove, no bat 2B on our bench?  Holt provides a much better bat and more versatility.  IMO, he is a far more useful piece based on our roster construction than Yolmer.

One thing is for sure...if we sign Holt...I'll learn to love him.🙂

Having a Gold Glove second baseman, such as Yolmer, is more about depth, to cover potential injuries, than it is about late inning substitutions. If Madrigal succeeds, there is obviously no point in ever pulling him, for defensive purposes, in that he is a Gold Glove defender, himself. However, if Madrigal were to get hurt and have to miss any significant time, Sanchez would be a nice fall back option, especially with all of the offensive thunder, now in the lineup. HIs offensive deficiencies could easily be hidden in a deep lineup. The problem is what do you do with Sanchez, in the meantime? He really has no place to play, unless Moncada, or Madrigal are injured. He would just be riding the bench and driving his teammates crazy, with his antics. LOL.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fathom said:

I missed the segment but supposedly Bruce reported today McCann is not happy about being a back-up catcher and could possibly get dealt for bullpen help

Would love this for a couple reasons- first, it would make it easier (on paper) for Grandal to DH on off days. I know we have EE, but I still expect Ricky to work McCann in as DH every now and then which I personally think is not a good idea.

Additionally, I don't think Collins' defense is nearly as bad as many seem to think and I believe he'd be more than fine as a backup to Grandal.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Would love this for a couple reasons- first, it would make it easier (on paper) for Grandal to DH on off days. I know we have EE, but I still expect Ricky to work McCann in as DH every now and then which I personally think is not a good idea.

Additionally, I don't think Collins' defense is nearly as bad as many seem to think and I believe he'd be more than fine as a backup to Grandal.

Agreed. Collins could also get more time at DH against right handers, when Abreu gets the day off and EE plays 1B. 

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

OK. It's not an issue for me, but was rather just an assumption, on my part. McCann's numbers vs. LHP were very good, last season, in 122 at bats: 

295 .372 .492 .864

The key there is 122 ABs. A lot of Sox fans this offseason seem to be projecting players based on one season LHP platoon splits (with another common example being Adam Engel's 89 ABs). I just am not convinced that we should put that much stock into such a small sample. I like McCann but not enough to take playing time away from Grandal and EE

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1

Who’s the backup SS when Madrigal is promoted? Leury Garcia? I’m assuming Mendick to start the year but will both Mendick and Madrigal be on the big league roster? Worth noting that TA has missed an average of 21 games per season over the last 3 years.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who’s the backup SS when Madrigal is promoted? Leury Garcia? I’m assuming Mendick to start the year but will both Mendick and Madrigal be on the big league roster? Worth noting that TA has missed an average of 21 games per season over the last 3 years.

Definitely Leury at the moment. 

I do think they’ll sign someone who can cover SS. Brad Miller maybe?