Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

16 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm not sure that I understand the rule, regarding the signing of a Minor League free agent. Could you please clarify exactly what the Sox would need to do, in order to keep Fernandez in the organization?

I think they’d have to call him up and put him on the 25 man roster.  I could be wrong but I don’t believe he is option eligible, meaning we can’t control him via the 40 man roster.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There will be plenty of Sox fans excited though.  I don’t dislike him personally, just don’t think his skillset is optimal for this roster.

They will announce it and Yolmer will emerge from behind a curtain and dump some Gatorade on himself.  Half the crowd will love it, and it will remind the other half of the on field horror of the past several seasons where one of the bigger highlights was someone dousing themself.

Yolmer is actually perfectly fine for a bench player.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s a minor league free agent, I don’t think we’d have control of Fernandez after the 2020 season unless he agrees to it.  This is a move about 2020 and with Collins, Zavala, & Mercedes already in the catching mix, this does suggest a corresponding move is coming.

I see it like this as well. Something is brewing. One or 2 of our catchers are out of here. Zavala released ,someone else traded ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’m all about trading Collins because I do not see a fit long term here with the Sox but not for him, he has more value then a utility infielder who will only start for a couple weeks.

Iglesias is the Reds closer not the IFer

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:29 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I see it like this as well. Something is brewing. One or 2 of our catchers are out of here. Zavala released ,someone else traded ?

We don't need McCann any more. He doesn't fit as a backup who would see limited duty. The question is can we get a reliever for him? Hope so.

26 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I've never understood the desire to get rid of McCann or Collins, since, you know, we don't need to.

Yeah, and it's not like we package them together to acquire, say, Josh Hader.  McCann's salary is a reward for 2019, insurance for Grandal, reassurance to keep Giolito comfortable and another tutor to work with Collins on the mental side of the game.

So best to just let the season play out, inevitably there are injuries.   Even in 2005, as durable as that starting staff was, we needed Brandon McCarthy to give them a breath of life those final 6 weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

McHugh, Cishek and Hudson are pretty much the last viable pen arms unless I am forgetting someone.

I don't think the Sox have been linked to any so far. 

Those are probably the top names left but there are a few more guys that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world because they wouldn’t cost much.  The scary thing is that most of them are ex-Cubs.

Sam Dyson - scratch him due to domestic violence reports

Tommy Hunter

Brandon Kintzler

Hector Rondon

Pedro Strop

Josh Tomlin - lack of strikeout stuff would be scary

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Those are probably the top names left but there are a few more guys that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world because they wouldn’t cost much.  The scary thing is that most of them are ex-Cubs.

Sam Dyson - scratch him due to domestic violence reports

Tommy Hunter

Brandon Kintzler

Hector Rondon

Pedro Strop

Josh Tomlin - lack of strikeout stuff would be scary

if we did an exercise where soxtalk tried to rank who would perform best of the leftover relievers I'm certain we'd be way off. I liked stammen and was sad to see him not an option, but it's hard to make guesses with the info we have. Definitely scouts signings left at this point. 

Sox definitely lack strikeout firepower,  and I still think cingrani would be a good MILB pickup alongside Salazar.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, and it's not like we package them together to acquire, say, Josh Hader.  McCann's salary is a reward for 2019, insurance for Grandal, reassurance to keep Giolito comfortable and another tutor to work with Collins on the mental side of the game.

So best to just let the season play out, inevitably there are injuries.   Even in 2005, as durable as that starting staff was, we needed Brandon McCarthy to give them a breath of life those final 6 weeks.

I could not agree more. This has been my contention, from the beginning, providing that he is willing to contribute in that limited capacity.

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Could probably send every catcher in the org not named Grandal.

But interesting that he said to work on his defense, McCann is a great defensive catcher just a poor framer.

Agreed, especially Collins. What I like most about McCann is his game calling skills an management.

I wasn't impressed with McCann's game calling skills at all. It seemed he was going straight off the scouting report and not adjusting to the reaction of the hitters. There were many times where hitters couldn't catch up to Giolito and Lopez fastballs but he's calling for off speed pitches anyway when they can't touch their heaters.