Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's a damn good question. 

The Sox have had a good offseason but I just don’t understand why they are letting relief options come off the board left and right. The bullpen is easily one of the biggest question marks for this team and they’ve done basically nothing to address it. 

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The Sox have had a good offseason but I just don’t understand why they are letting relief options come off the board left and right. The bullpen is easily one of the biggest question marks for this team and they’ve done basically nothing to address it. 

I like to think they’re working on a big trade 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like to think they’re working on a big trade 

I also think we are at a point of the offseason where people tend to overrate what's the presumed "top" of what's available. Once Betances was off the board, the options for what sox needed were all of a pretty similar quality.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, Dick Allen said:

Hinch and Lunow 1 year suspensions. Fines for Cora and Beltran. 3 years of  lost 1st round picks. 3 years of shrunken international pool. $10 million fine for their owner.

Sounds like that would make them fireable offenses. Luhnow has really been caught up in some ethical challenges so maybe the Patriots will call him. Win at any cost could end up costing too much.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I also think we are at a point of the offseason where people tend to overrate what's the presumed "top" of what's available. Once Betances was off the board, the options for what sox needed were all of a pretty similar quality.

Yep. None of these options are overwhelmingly better than what they currently have. Lots of over-the-hill, 30+ arms that aren’t even guaranteed to be better than the current pen. sure they have the past track record, but there’s guys like Strop, Cishek, and Rondon that have injury concerns or major drop offs compared to their career norms. I think the Sox are working toward a trade for a younger arm that has a little more upside than what’s left on the market. No reason to go full panic mode in January.

29 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They have 2 of Gonzalez,  Lopez and rodon in the bullpen as pitchers come back from injury as well.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They have 2 of Gonzalez,  Lopez and rodon in the bullpen as pitchers come back from injury as well.

Yep. Really don't see the need to spend money right now on the pen outside maybe a couple NRI that can be cut loose with no commitment in April.  If in July the Sox are contending then you can add to the pen.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I hope it's taking on most of Price's contract to get Mookie Betts for a bag of balls and an A ball reliever.

The Sox are definitely done with rotation moves.  All that’s really left is a reliever or two and a right-handed hitting utility guy (infielder/outfielder).

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

The Sox are definitely done with rotation moves.

who cares about Price?  He'd basically just be another 5th starter.  The prize is getting Mookie's 6 WAR for essentially a one time fee of about 20 million.  I remain convinced that Boston is looking to dump both of them in a package deal.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2020/1/4/21049368/boston-red-sox-trade-rumors-mookie-betts-david-price-dodgers-adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-beckett