Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They have 2 of Gonzalez,  Lopez and rodon in the bullpen as pitchers come back from injury as well.

As of now, Marshall, Cordero, Fry, Herrera, Bummer, and Colome are all locks to be in the bullpen next year. Assuming the Sox go with an 8 man bullpen, that leaves 2 open spots. Maybe someone like Ian Hamilton or Zack Burdi will earn a spot during Spring Training, but I’d like to see the Sox bring in at least one veteran reliever. I’m not thrilled with Cishek but at least he’s dependable. 

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Steve Stone shot down Kela pretty hard due to his clubhouse antics.  Givens was a suggestion by Fathom.

Didn't specify who started the rumors just what was talked about here. Kela absolutely was rumored though before Stone said no.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

who cares about Price?  He'd basically just be another 5th starter.  The prize is getting Mookie's 6 WAR for essentially a one time fee of about 20 million.  I remain convinced that Boston is looking to dump both of them in a package deal.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2020/1/4/21049368/boston-red-sox-trade-rumors-mookie-betts-david-price-dodgers-adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-beckett

Because the Sox would then be tied to Price for the next three years.  That isn’t ideal when they have starters in the pipeline like Dunning and Stiever.

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That would be terrible. Assume 70+ million for one year of Betts?

Boston would be shipping about 30 million.  So roughly a one time fee of 30 million to become the clear favorite in the central.  The Sox aren't going to spend that money on a FA this year.  They might as well use it to get Betts.

Of course Jerry being Jerry would never see it as a creative use of money imo.  

they wouldn't be tied to him @Moan4Yoan they would just cut his ass if he becomes a problem and can't give them 120 innings and around 2 WAR.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That would be terrible. Assume 70+ million for one year of Betts?

man people are in. sane. Anyone that would be against that deal should find a new sport where people just count pennies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

As of now, Marshall, Cordero, Fry, Herrera, Bummer, and Colome are all locks to be in the bullpen next year. Assuming the Sox go with an 8 man bullpen, that leaves 2 open spots. Maybe someone like Ian Hamilton or Zack Burdi will earn a spot during Spring Training, but I’d like to see the Sox bring in at least one veteran reliever. I’m not thrilled with Cishek but at least he’s dependable. 

Dependable or not Cishek may be the last man standing, who is available to be signed. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

man people are in. sane. Anyone that would be against that deal should find a new sport where people just count pennies.

As I said, it would basically make the Sox a HEAVY favorite to win the central.  I'd hazard a guess it would take their odds from about 20% to somewhere around 60%.  Would take expected wins from about 85 to 90+.

If I'm Hahn I'm spending a lot of time trying to convince JR that this is a great use of his money with no long term commitment and the potential to have the inside track on resigning Betts after a successful season and he sees what they are building.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Boston would be shipping about 30 million.  So roughly a one time fee of 30 million to become the clear favorite in the central.  The Sox aren't going to spend that money on a FA this year.  They might as well use it to get Betts.

Of course Jerry being Jerry would never see it as a creative use of money imo.  

they wouldn't be tied to him @Moan4Yoan they would just cut his ass if he becomes a problem and can't give them 120 innings and around 2 WAR.

Why not just wait till next year instead of shipping off prospects and wasting money on price to get Betts. So even with 30 million if you got that's still 68 million you have to pay price that you don't need. Seems Boston is trying to just get rid of price and save the money from him to get Betts locked up potentially 

I really don't think Boston is looking to add Betts to sweeten the pot to trade Price. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I think they're trying to clear salary so they can resign Betts, and trading him to then resign him in the offseason is just odd.

1 minute ago, aeichhor said:

Why not just wait till next year instead of shipping off prospects and wasting money on price to get Betts. So even with 30 million if you got that's still 68 million you have to pay price that you don't need. Seems Boston is trying to just get rid of price and save the money from him to get Betts locked up potentially 

Exactly.  Neither scenario is going to happen but signing Betts as a free agent next offseason makes way more sense than trading for him now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, almagest said:

I really don't think Boston is looking to add Betts to sweeten the pot to trade Price. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I think they're trying to clear salary so they can resign Betts, and trading him to then resign him in the offseason is just odd.

There's no way they are, that deal is a fantasy and to be against it is so crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Exactly.  Neither scenario is going to happen but signing Betts as a free agent next offseason makes way more sense than trading for him now.

because you don't know he will be available next offseason, and you wouldn't have him available for this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aeichhor said:

you're not sending a single prospect with a pulse.  You're basically just adding about 8 fWAR between the two of them for 40 million lump sum.

@almagest I believe that Betts has indicated he intends to fully test the FA waters.  Boston is in a tough spot.  He's already turned down their extension offers.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

because you don't know he will be available next offseason, and you wouldn't have him available for this year.

I know he’s available via trade now and also next offseason.  I also know the Sox won’t be acquiring him at either point in time.

I know it’s a move everyone would love but it’s not happening, just like Machado/Harper/Cole/Rendon didn’t happen.  The Sox don’t assign that much payroll to one player.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

you're not sending a single prospect with a pulse.  You're basically just adding about 8 fWAR between the two of them for 40 million lump sum.

@almagest I believe that Betts has indicated he intends to fully test the FA waters.  Boston is in a tough spot.  He's already turned down their extension offers.

Boston isn't giving away Betts and price for nothing. Boston doesn't even want to attach a prospect of value to get rid of price. So not sure how you are getting Betts and price with out significant aspects given

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I know he’s available via trade now and also next offseason.  I also know the Sox won’t be acquiring him at either point in time.

I know it’s a move everyone would love but it’s not happening, just like Machado/Harper/Cole/Rendon didn’t happen.  The Sox don’t assign that much payroll to one player.

in that case you should be FOR this hypothetical.

12 minutes ago, almagest said:

Especially including $30+ mill and getting nothing back. No way that happens.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It makes sense to trade him, then, unless they're trying to keep him around one more year and persuade him. If they trade him though it won't be packaging him with Price and losing a ton of value. They'll trade him alone and get back a solid set of prospects.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

who cares about Price?  He'd basically just be another 5th starter.  The prize is getting Mookie's 6 WAR for essentially a one time fee of about 20 million.  I remain convinced that Boston is looking to dump both of them in a package deal.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2020/1/4/21049368/boston-red-sox-trade-rumors-mookie-betts-david-price-dodgers-adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-beckett

Lol the White Sox aren't going to have a 2020 payroll of $190M.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol the White Sox aren't going to have a 2020 payroll of $190M.  

Probably closer to $178-180 million with Boston subsidy but this kind of move was always a deadline one for the Sox, depending on their place in the standings.

Alex Rios claim is last similar situation, but they won’t get Betts, too.