Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm surprised (but not really) at this "the sky is falling" mentality whenever a reliever signs elsewhere. Did we not see these same exact complaints during/shortly after the winter meetings with regards to starting pitchers? 

I had the exact same thought. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm surprised (but not really) at this "the sky is falling" mentality whenever a reliever signs elsewhere. Did we not see these same exact complaints during/shortly after the winter meetings with regards to starting pitchers? 

To be fair, the FA options are getting slim.

But honestly, I am fine with just rolling with some combo of Burdi,Fulmer, Hamilton, Ruiz, Foster, Thompson and whatever NRI guys they bring in for the last two spots.  I feel like Burdi and Hamilton, at the very least, will be in the bigs most of the season.  And Fulmer is out of options so I could see them giving him one last shot.  

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe White Sox can work something out with the Red Sox involving one of their spare parts like JBJ, Pedroia ,Rusney Castillo in order to get Brandon Workman.

I'd love JBJ to take Engel's current role. We wouldn't have to give up much for JBJ + Workman either if we take on all the money

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'd love JBJ to take Engel's current role. We wouldn't have to give up much for JBJ + Workman either if we take on all the money

that makes no sense at all. both him and mazara only hit against righties, and jbj is worse at it. what is the point of JBJ at all?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Boston's cap hit for those 2 is going to be around $14M so it's no eating much but Workman is a FA next year but since Boston is probably still looking to compete would be hard to get Workman epecially considered the Bosox have bullpen needs of their own.

Pedroia has 2 yrs. and $25M left is 36 yrs. old and not even sure how healthy he is. Rusney Castillo has $14M left and he's 32 and has been in the minors for 3 years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

To improve the 4th outfielder role

Yep he wouldn't necessarily be Mazara's platoon guy but he could spell Robert and replace Jimenez in late innings Leury would still be Mazara's platoon mate . There are more righty then lefty pitchers anyway so he'd be better suited to late inningg bench piece and PH than Engel. Then after a year he gone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yep he wouldn't necessarily be Mazara's platoon guy but he could spell Robert and replace Jimenez in late innings Leury would still be Mazara's platoon mate . There are more righty then lefty pitchers anyway so he'd be better suited to late inningg bench piece and PH than Engel. Then after a year he gone.

Exactly. I don't get why it was met with such chagrin. Nobody is saying JBJ would be an everyday player, he's just better than Engel and wouldn't cost much. 

17 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Exactly. I don't get why it was met with such chagrin. Nobody is saying JBJ would be an everyday player, he's just better than Engel and wouldn't cost much. 

People just react without thinking everything out . Red Sox are in deep shit. I told everyone 3 weeks ago the Red Sox were fishing for suckers for Price and to wait a few weeks to a month to see how that ends up . They need cap relieve bad but they still aren't budging . They may eventually trade Price but they are going to have to eat half that contract or give up someone or both depending on what they get back.

I still don't see the Red Sox parting with Workman but they will keep playing the waiting game on ridding themselves of Price before they do anything else or they might try moving JDM or Eovaldi basically their higher contracts but getting old or constantly injured. Their basic plan is now get salary relieve and restock the farm. They didn't bring in Tampa Bay's Boy Wonder for nothing.

If you can't get Workman you don't take JBJ so it's likely not happening.

JBJ is a starter on the Red Sox. He's not going to come here and want to take a backup role, and even if he did I'm not taking on a large chunk of David Price's salary to get a backup who isn't really better than Engel on defense and hasn't been much better at hitting since 2016.

• Like 1

Just now, almagest said:

JBJ is a starter on the Red Sox. He's not going to come here and want to take a backup role, and even if he did I'm not taking on a large chunk of David Price's salary to get a backup who isn't really better than Engel on defense and hasn't been much better at hitting since 2016.

He wouldn’t have much of a choice, and it would be Brandon Workman, not David Price

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

who cares about Price?  He'd basically just be another 5th starter.  The prize is getting Mookie's 6 WAR for essentially a one time fee of about 20 million.  I remain convinced that Boston is looking to dump both of them in a package deal.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2020/1/4/21049368/boston-red-sox-trade-rumors-mookie-betts-david-price-dodgers-adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-beckett

Guess I don't follow where you get $20M from. Price is owned $96M for 3 years and Betts around $28M this year.  That's $124M,

That also adds another $60M to the 2020 payroll.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He wouldn’t have much of a choice, and it would be Brandon Workman, not David Price

Brandon Workman just put up a 2 fWAR season as a reliever, made $1 mil last year, and is under team control for 2 seasons. There's no realistic way the Sox are getting Workman and Bradley without giving up too much, especially if they're bringing Bradley off the bench.

4 minutes ago, almagest said:

Brandon Workman just put up a 2 fWAR season as a reliever, made $1 mil last year, and is under team control for 2 seasons. There's no realistic way the Sox are getting Workman and Bradley without giving up too much, especially if they're bringing Bradley off the bench.

I guess it depends on what one considers to be “too much”. I was thinking someone like Collins

13 minutes ago, almagest said:

13 minutes ago, almagest said:

I was on Sportrac and it appears both JBJ and Workman are FA 's in 2021. STill it is a long shot considering Red Sox have BP problems too. He's also going to get $3.4M this season. Please do some research . You not only mistakenly thought we were talking about David Price but you misrepresented how long the Red Sox have control of Workman and talked about his salary from last year as if it was this years salary.

You should be happy you got a "LIKE" for being so off base on your opinion.

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Guess I don't follow where you get $20M from. Price is owned $96M for 3 years and Betts around $28M this year.  That's $124M,

That also adds another $60M to the 2020 payroll.

I honestly don't know how much cash the league would let a club send with Price.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the Red Sox are currently over the tax for 2020 is that right?  If so, they have every incentive to send Chicago 60 million, which would basically mean 30 million for Price.  I didn't even factor in Betts' salary obviously I'm just spitballing here.  Sorry very boring day at work.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

If you’re gonna add an OF, it makes sense to add on that can actually platoon with Mazara.