Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

Recommended Posts

Very important for our young and talented staff to have the experience of the Grandal/McCann tandem to guide them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sox aren't getting anything worthwhile for McCann IMO.  If they were, he'd be gone already.  He provides value on this team -  I wouldn't trade him unless we are getting a legit pen piece back.  

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

Mets, Astros

I mean, he'd be a time share in both of those places too.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox aren't getting anything worthwhile for McCann IMO.  If they were, he'd be gone already.  He provides value on this team -  I wouldn't trade him unless we are getting a legit pen piece back.  

I mean, he'd be a time share in both of those places too.  

Rangers and Reds?  He would definitely be a full time starter for the Rangers .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Rangers and Reds?  He would definitely be a full time starter for the Rangers .

Rangers make some sense, but for who?  Brett Martin is kind of interesting but not sure we need another lefty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, he'd be a time share in both of those places too.  

Not our concern at that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqr said:

Not our concern at that point. 

Sure, but its our concern in finding a fit that actually makes sense. I don't think the Mets are giving up anything interesting for 1 year of McCann to be Ramos backup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

He's not staying past this year even if he was happy. He is unhappy because his market value is suffering while being a bench player. I wouldn't trade him, unless it was an offer I couldn't refuse. If something happens to Grandal, you need a reliable guy there. Collins probably won't be ready to handle backup duties for another year. 

I agree with you and that has been my position, since the Grandal signing. However, I sure wouldn't want a disgruntled guy on the bench, especially since his role as mentor is one of the main objectives in keeping him.

Edited by Lillian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCann is just a year removed from getting non-tendered from one of the worst teams in the game.  I am sure he's disappointed he's not going to the starting catcher (I mean, who wouldn't be?), but I don't think he's going to be a clubhouse problem.  Doesn't seem like that type of guy.  Its a bummer of a situation from for him personally, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy that is going to make it an issue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lillian said:

If McCann is unhappy, he is very unlikely to stay past this year, as he will have the opportunity to go elsewhere, as a free agent. As much as I'd love to keep him, if this suggestion that he is unhappy is true, he should be traded. 

I wouldn't be too happy either coming off a career year and entering my last year to get a decent  contract if i was relegated to a back up either. But even he has to realize that his career before this year and his pitch framing are the reasons why he isn't in a great position to be unhappy about playing second fiddle to Grandal.

He'll either be traded or have to prove himself getting less PA's and catching less. Either way he still has to prove himself as more than the one year wonder to be relevant as a FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I agree with you and that has been my position, since the Grandal signing. However, I sure wouldn't want a disgruntled guy on the bench, especially since his role as mentor is one of the main objectives in keeping him.

He's getting paid 5 million dollars. I'm pretty sure he is gonna do his job correctly to avoid any issues finding a new deal. I agree he may not be thrilled about it, but he is a guy who many teams will try to replace with better options if they can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wouldn't be too happy either coming off a career year and entering my last year to get a decent  contract if i was relegated to a back up either. But even he has to realize that his career before this year and his pitch framing are the reasons why he isn't in a great position to be unhappy about playing second fiddle to Grandal.

He'll either be traded or have to prove himself getting less PA's and catching less. Either way he still has to prove himself as more than the one year wonder to be relevant as a FA.

If McCann hits well this year, he will see a significant amount of time at C/1B/DH. It will ultimately be up to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If McCann hits well this year, he will see a significant amount of time at C/1B/DH. It will ultimately be up to him. 

I would’ve agreed with this before the Sox signed Encarnacion.  He’s your full time DH and McCann isn’t going to outhit him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If McCann hits well this year, he will see a significant amount of time at C/1B/DH. It will ultimately be up to him. 

Will he though? With EE in the fold, Grandal is going to catch 130+ games.  Abreu and EE cover 1B and DH and will play most days.  Eloy will get some time at DH.  Abreu, EE and Eloy all murder LHP, which makes it even tougher to get McCann at bats against LHP.  

There really isn't an avenue for him to get a "significant amount of playing time" barring an injury to Grandal.  And none of this even considers Collins, who I would imagine is going to start in AAA, but if an injury to EE or Abreu occurred, I feel like Collins would take a lot of those at bats before McCann would. 

I am all for keeping McCann around because he's cheap, he's good insurance and I don't think he has much if any trade value.  But he's not going to play much if Grandal, EE and Abreu are healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCann's first half last season earned him an AllStar spot.  But playing all season without an adequate backup really showed in the 2nd half.  He has to know that any good team needs two quality catchers, and that he will still get plenty of starts in 2020.  He also has the Sox best pitcher in his corner.  If that is untenable I don't even know what to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think the cubs would be willing to trade Kimbrel for mostly a salary dump and maybe a mid-tier prospect or two? 

Missing spring training and half the season seemed to really hurt him, but he still had good strikeout numbers, is still only 31, and could be a good bounce back candidate.

Not sure if this is at all a possibility or would be of interest but might be worth the risk, and it seems the cubs want to get under the luxury tax threshold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tsak31 said:

Do you think the cubs would be willing to trade Kimbrel for mostly a salary dump and maybe a mid-tier prospect or two? 

Missing spring training and half the season seemed to really hurt him, but he still had good strikeout numbers, is still only 31, and could be a good bounce back candidate.

Not sure if this is at all a possibility or would be of interest but might be worth the risk, and it seems the cubs want to get under the luxury tax threshold. 

We’d have a couple of great beards then too between him and Keuchel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCann should certainly get all of the starts vs. LH pitching. His splits were terrific vs. lefties and Grandal is just average when batting right handed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

McCann should certainly get all of the starts vs. LH pitching. His splits were terrific vs. lefties and Grandal is just average when batting right handed.

Huh?  Grandal's career splits are fairly even. Grandal has a career .362 OBP against LHP.  McCann is going to get some starts against LHP which he hits well, but they definitely aren't going to sit our prized new catcher against all LHP as you just suggested.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce Levine of WSCR-AM and 670thescore.com reports that James McCann "is a prime candidate to be dealt" if the White Sox make a trade for a reliever.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reported last month that the White Sox "would need to be overwhelmed" to trade McCann, but the reality is that he's set to make $5.4 million in 2020 but isn't in line for much playing time following the team's additions of Yasmani Grandal and Edwin Encarnacion. McCann faded badly in the second half this past season, but he made the All-Star team after a strong first half and is worthy of being a starter somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Bruce Levine of WSCR-AM and 670thescore.com reports that James McCann "is a prime candidate to be dealt" if the White Sox make a trade for a reliever.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reported last month that the White Sox "would need to be overwhelmed" to trade McCann, but the reality is that he's set to make $5.4 million in 2020 but isn't in line for much playing time following the team's additions of Yasmani Grandal and Edwin Encarnacion. McCann faded badly in the second half this past season, but he made the All-Star team after a strong first half and is worthy of being a starter somewhere.

Add Mazara in too Rick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James McCann didn't fade badly. He had a horrible July , but was well above average in August and September. This takes like 5 seconds to look up

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Huh?  Grandal's career splits are fairly even. Grandal has a career .362 OBP against LHP.  McCann is going to get some starts against LHP which he hits well, but they definitely aren't going to sit our prized new catcher against all LHP as you just suggested.  

I would think that giving McCann all of the starts vs. lefties, wouldn't be more than the normal load for the 2ND catcher. How many starts to you expect Grandal to get, behind the plate? He started 110 games, as catcher in 2018 and 124 behind the plate, last year. Keeping Grandal fresh and rested should help him. Why wear him out, when the Sox have McCann there to spell him games? 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I would think that giving McCann all of the starts vs. lefties, wouldn't be more than the normal load for the 2ND catcher. How many starts to you expect Grandal to get, behind the plate? He started 110 games, as catcher in 2018 and 124 behind the plate, last year. 

I think he'll get 130 starts at catcher now that EE is in the fold.  McCann is not going to start against every LHP.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×