Steve Stone: more bullpen help is coming

4 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Collins is more likely to be moved and has more value than McCann for a bullpen arm. Iglesias could be a useful arm in return. The Reds might see him being expendable for a long term C like Collins.

I’m all about trading Collins because I do not see a fit long term here with the Sox but not for him, he has more value then a utility infielder who will only start for a couple weeks.

49 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

MLBExecutiveBurner is so fake that it hurts.

Fake in that they don't have inside info? Perhaps. They do seem to have a grip on general baseball intelligence and if they're making shit up at least it is thought provoking. I don't love the burner account that's developed on Twitter but this account in particular doesn't bother me.

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Could have said the same thing about McCann last year.

Or with the Astros and JDM a few years back.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Three weeks til Sox Fest and six weeks until Spring Training.  Time to get the last pieces in place.  Maybe there will be some bargains available soon.  Puig is a good possibility as is Sanchez.

I think if the Sox wanted Sanchez back, they would’ve already resigned him by now.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Three weeks til Sox Fest and six weeks until Spring Training.  Time to get the last pieces in place.  Maybe there will be some bargains available soon.  Puig is a good possibility as is Sanchez.

I am going to be kinda disappointed if Sox sign Puig. Just let Mazara do his thing. With Robert up day one, Leury gets less reps - let him get the platoon oops. Sign a 2B like Brad Miller, Brock Holt or Zobrist and go to battle. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am going to be kinda disappointed if Sox sign Puig. Just let Mazara do his thing. With Robert up day one, Leury gets less reps - let him get the platoon oops. Sign a 2B like Brad Miller, Brock Holt or Zobrist and go to battle. 

You know you want Castellanos :)

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree with you.  My belief is that Mazara was brought in to be the full time right fielder.  Puig is intriguing because of the Cuban connection and probable low price tag.  Can't help but be curious if Jose & Yoan could unlock Puig's potential.

Just now, fathom said:

You know you want Castellanos :)

I think it’s a terrible fit as I’ve stated many times, but if his market has cratered I won’t complain. If they can get him on like 3/$45M deal it would be fun for 2020, but I just hope they plan to trade him next offseason if it’s more than a 1 year deal. But I cannot imagine a 1 year deal being possibility worth discussing. 

That said, I don’t think the Sox acquired Mazara to not play and I don’t think they’ll give Castellanos the 4 years and close to $70M it will require to be a platoon player. And I don’t think they signed EE to do anything less than DH as much as he’s able. It’s the ultimate example of forcing a fit. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Collins is more likely to be moved and has more value than McCann for a bullpen arm. Iglesias could be a useful arm in return. The Reds might see him being expendable for a long term C like Collins.

I think the Reds are going to compete and would want to keep Iglesias

29 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think if the Sox wanted Sanchez back, they would’ve already resigned him by now.

Kind of like when they signed Gordon Beckham at SoxFest after just recently dumping him in the season prior.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Sox sign Puig it is because nobody in MLB finds value in Puig. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

This acquisition of Fernandez could simply be about organizational depth. McCann will likely be gone by 2021, at the latest. Having a solid defensive catcher in the system, makes sense. It's premature to read much more into this move. We'll see. Has this move even been officially reported? I can't seem to find anything, to confirm it.

He’s a minor league free agent, I don’t think we’d have control of Fernandez after the 2020 season unless he agrees to it.  This is a move about 2020 and with Collins, Zavala, & Mercedes already in the catching mix, this does suggest a corresponding move is coming.

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Same here.  I want no part of Puig.  Didn't want him before Mazara, and is definitely a poor fit now.  On top of Puig's red flags.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s a minor league free agent, I don’t think we’d have control of Fernandez after the 2020 season unless he agrees to it.  This is a move about 2020 and with Collins, Zavala, & Mercedes already in the catching mix, this does suggest a corresponding move is coming.

If Fernandez is good on defense, I think it does.  If the Sox were to trade McCann, they would be very thin at defensive backstop with Collins, Mercedes, and Zavala.  None of those three is known for their catching skills.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'm not sure that I understand the rule, regarding the signing of a Minor League free agent. Could you please clarify exactly what the Sox would need to do, in order to keep Fernandez in the organization?

3 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

MLBExecutiveBurner is so fake that it hurts.

Probably,  but the proof will be how MLB penalizes Houston. His prediction is a lot harder than most. If the penalty is anywhere near what he predicts, I will believe he is a lot closer to what he claims to be than the consensus right now.