Lead-off Man

Flash

14 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Ultimately, if everything goes to plan, it will 100% be Madrigal. He struck out like 5 times total last year. He’ll get on base. That’s all a leadoff man has to do

Speedy little fast guy who makes contact?  Yes.  Once he gets situated toward the bottom of the lineup, Renteria will likely fall in love and move him to leadoff.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Speedy little fast guy who makes contact?  Yes.  Once he gets situated toward the bottom of the lineup, Renteria will likely fall in love and move him to leadoff.

On base more important than anything else.  If he doesn’t get out, he needs to lead off. That’s just basic baseball strategy

• Thanks 1

On day 1, should be Yoan. The research on lineup construction would say you want your best hitters to bat 1, 2, and 4. If it's not clear which of your top 2 hitters is better, put the faster one at leadoff. So we should have Yoan 1, Eloy 2, and Grandal 4. Anderson is probably our 5th, 6th, maybe 7th best hitter and should be low in the order. We should make Robert and Madrigal prove their worth although I don't think Madrigal has the ability to be a top half of the order hitter even with everything going well.

• Like 1

Anderson with Robert or Moncada behind him. TA's splits show that he hits dramatically better higher in the lineup, so try it out with protection behind him. 

If that doesn't work, Madrigal test out Madrigal. Only reason I'm avoiding Robert is to give him the chance to drive in a bunch of runs.

Robert, Moncada, Abreu, Grandal. Eloy, EE, TA, Mazara, Madrigal...but I’m not too worried about it. We have nine major leaguers in the lineup, and lineup construction is mostly horseshit. It will work itself out once Robert and Madrigal are up.

Edited by flavum

I don't really see Robert as a leadoff guy. He's fast and has power but he's unlikely to post a BB rate above 5% (based on his MiLB career) and he doesn't have the elite contact skills of Madrigal or (to a lesser degree) Anderson. I think ideally he will be a 5/6 hitter with considerable power but an OBP that hovers between .320 and .330.

Madrigal would be ideal, but he has to hit first. If not, i'd prioritize on-base skills over speed. That might mean Moncada or even Grandal leading off.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why should it be grandal? 

.380 OBP last year. Even if one thinks it’s a fluke, it was still .350 the year before and based on his quotes, it seems like he has realized the importance of walks and I don’t think that will change. We need to maximize his PAs. I’d love to have who I think will be our highest OBP player (though Moncada may challenge him) batting right in front of Moncada, Eloy, EE, Abreu, etc

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

On base more important than anything else.  If he doesn’t get out, he needs to lead off. That’s just basic baseball strategy

Agreed but OBP won’t be the only reason he eventually leads off.  Renteria is old school and thinks that speedy guys should lead off regardless of their OBP.

With what have, Madrigal for sure should lead off.  Madrigal looks even better to me as a 2 hitter but we just don't have anyone that is prototypical leadoff hitter, .280, .380 40 sb guy. 

I would never let Leury leadoff, his k to walk is very bad. He had a .310 obp last season. 

Edited by Chisox378