Lead-off Man

Flash

Just now, soxfan49 said:

I don't. Robert's going to be their most electric player. 8th is a weird spot.

Not really.  He hasn’t seen one pitch at the ML level.  He could definitely have some swing and miss issues for some time.  If he immediately hits like he did in AAA last year, you obviously move him towards the top of the order.  But I’m not counting on that to start the season and it’s not a bad idea to put him a spot with less pressure.  We actually have the talent and depth to start him towards the bottom of the lineup.

I understand that Madrigal hasn’t seen a pitch at the ML level either but they are totally different players with different hit tools.  Madrigal will have not have swing and miss issues.  He’s a much better lock to replicate what he’s doing in the minors fairly quickly.  

2 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Not really.  He hasn’t seen one pitch at the ML level.  He could definitely have some swing and miss issues for some time.  If he immediately hits like he did in AAA last year, you obviously move him towards the top of the order.  But I’m not counting on that to start the season and it’s not a bad idea to put him a spot with less pressure.  We actually have the talent and depth to start him towards the bottom of the lineup.

I understand that Madrigal hasn’t seen a pitch at the ML level either but they are totally different players with different hit tools.  Madrigal will have not have swing and miss issues.  He’s a much better lock to replicate what he’s doing in the minors fairly quickly.  

I also liked the idea of having four above average runners batting in a row.  

OPENING DAY vs RHP

SS Anderson

3B Moncada

1B Abreu

C Grandal

DH Encarnacion

LF Jimenez

RF Mazara

CF Engel

2B Garcia

MAY vs RHP

SS Anderson

3B Moncada

1B Abreu

C Grandal

DH Encarnacion

LF Jimenez

RF Mazara

CF Robert

2B Madrigal

AUGUST vs RHP

CF Robert

3B Moncada

1B Abreu

C Grandal

DH Encarnacion

LF Jimenez

RF Mazara

SS Anderson

2B Madrigal

No player right now makes perfect sense batting lead off. I think Anderson makes the most sense on opening day and until Robert proves himself. Even if and when he does, I see them switching Anderson, Robert and Madrigal around until the right lineup clicks. 4 speedy players making up the top and bottom two in the order is great but I dont think Moncada should ever move from batting 2nd.

Abreu will bat 3rd until his numbers dramtically decline. Grandal at clean up most of the season. He is a well paid All Star and if the top of the order goes down 1-2-3 at least you know Yasmani can leadoff a better 2nd inning. E.E. and Eloy can help and challenge each other at 5th and 6th. Mazara filling in the 7th spot a perfect fit for him.

James McCann being the backup Catcher, Zack Collins hopefully getting some reps at DH 1B and Pinch Hitting, Luery Garcia being a utility guy and Adam Engel platooning with Nomar and also Pinch Running late in games makes up a pretty decent bench IMO.

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, hes a career 357 guy. I'll pass on a slow footed catcher leading off solely based on OBP skills. 

I understand not wanting Grandal to bat first but is speed really that important from a leadoff hitter these days?

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Anderson had a 357 obp last year. He may regress but wouldnt oppose to him leading off and yoan hitting second to open the season.

And I do agree on this. The quality of Tim's ABs improved a lot as the season went on and I think he's a better option than Leury (easily) or Madrigal (for now at least) in that role

For me, Moncada bats 2nd every game and Eloy bats 4th. I'd bat Abreu 3rd vs. LH and Grandal 5th and would switch them vs. RH. EE bats 6th. 

Would love if Robert could capably lead-off as he has done in AA and AAA, at least vs. LH and ideally, every game. If Robert struggles at LO, either TA or Madrigal. Love the idea of Madrigal forcing pitchers to throw 7-8 pitches to start game. Both he and TA would force teams to pay attention should they get on base.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Love the idea of Madrigal forcing pitchers to throw 7-8 pitches to start game. 

So do I, but the problem is his ABs are generally really short. I think someone posted here the other day that he saw an average of 3.3 pitches per plate appearance last year

I feel Madrigal is the only option at lead off that makes sense.  

He’s the one guy who doesn’t have to sacrifice anything else in his offensive skill set to get on base.  It’s pretty much the name of this game, although I do understand a lot of that will come from BA.  If he can’t produce a high BA then he doesn’t really belong in the majors anyways.  

I believe the Sox will instill in him a more patient approach.  Not only to draw more walks, but to ensure he’s making contact on the pitches he can drive.  Which would in turn increase his BA.

He belongs at the top of the order.  Moncada belongs 2nd.  Those are the main two spots I feel most strongly about.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, hes a career 357 guy. I'll pass on a slow footed catcher leading off solely based on OBP skills. 

Mitch Garver lead off quite a bit for the Twins and had pretty good numbers in that spot to boot. Not saying I would necessarily do that but it isn't some farfetched idea either. 

The new rule requires that relief pitchers pitch to a minimum of 3 batters, the inning in which they enter the game. Spacing out the left handers hitters means that an opposing manager would be reluctant to bring in a LOOGY, because he might have to pitch to 2, out of 3 right handed hitters. 

Edited by Lillian

I can see the argument for Grandal against RHP and Anderson against LHP to begin with at least.

eventually it Robert is what we think he is then he HAS to lead off for two reasons.

1) in a game when it’s tight in the ninth you want him getting an extra AB not Madrigal. 

2) He would be our version of Springer. Opening the game with a HR just creates a buzz that would hopefully be followed through the game. When the Marlins on the World Series you could feel something when Pierre got on base in the first, I know the skill set couldn’t be more different. I’m after that feeling.

the key thing here is we should hit so well I don’t think many line up choices are terrible.

17 hours ago, zisk said:

Ugh, Madrigal, Vaughn, Moncada and even Grandal would be better than Anderson. If your OBA is .22 above your BA You would have to

hit like Rod Carew every year. Not bloody likely with TA.

Apparently hitting like TA will win you the batting title.

49 minutes ago, Colinski said:

He would be our version of Springer. Opening the game with a HR just creates a buzz that would hopefully be followed through the game. When the Marlins on the World Series you could feel something when Pierre got on base in the first, I know the skill set couldn’t be more different. I’m after that feeling.

Agree.  Which is why I want Robert, Moncada, & Eloy up top.  Lots of early 1st inning leads and or many extra pitches thrown in taxing 1st innings.  

Edited by SouthWallace

Here’s how I’d construct our lineup against RHP when Robert & Madrigal first come up.   In parentheses I have their 2019 OBP’s & ISO’s against RHP.

1. Anderson, SS (.360 | .175)
  2. Moncada, 3B# (.377 | .246)
  3. Encarnacion, DH (.332 | .266)
  4. Grandal, C# (.372 | .201)
  5. Jimenez, LF (.313 | .264)
  6. Abreu, 1B (.299 | .215)
  7. Mazara, RF* (.344 | .212)
  8. Robert, CF (.336 | .336)
  9. Madrigal, 2B (.405 | .039)

At some point I’d swap Encarnación & Jimenez and consider putting someone else in the leadoff spot assuming BABIP regression from Tim.  But I really do like this lineup construction and think that having Robert, Madrigal, Anderson, & Moncada all bat consecutively is going to create a ton of havoc on the bases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Remember, as Ozzie said, we want the HRs with guys on base. Don't bat HR guys leadoff. I laughed when the Yankees had Judge leading off or even batting 2nd.

Red Sox won a World Series w Betts leading off  He had 32 HR