Lead-off Man

Flash

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Red Sox won a World Series w Betts leading off  He had 32 HR

Yes, but remember that was Betts breakout year. The year before that,2017,he hit .264 with 26 sb and even then was a better than average leadoff hitter. So Boston went into 2018 thinking he would do more like 2017, but he exploded and they just left him as the leadoff hitter. Now they have him bat 2nd with the rise of Devers.

Edited by Chisox378

Best option, in my opinion, is Moncada. However, I think that won't work due to his struggles in '18 with being too selective. 

Robert is not the answer. He needs to be a producer in the middle-to-bottom of the order.

What about Grandal? Might seem nuts, but the dude gets on base...

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/buying-generic-plate-appearances-by-lineup-spot/

this was designed as a post about fantasy baseball, but you can see what I’m saying using the stats in it. 

The first batter by the  end of the season gets over 100 more at bats per season than the 8th place in the line up. That has to be taken into account in line up construction over speed.

the real question is who do you want to get the most at bats in your line up.

39 minutes ago, tdsox17 said:

Best option, in my opinion, is Moncada. However, I think that won't work due to his struggles in '18 with being too selective. 

Don't want a guy who is on record saying he hates leading off to lead off. Moncada himself said he likes to see what the opposing pitcher throws so he can better prepare in his ABs. 

4 minutes ago, Colinski said:

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/buying-generic-plate-appearances-by-lineup-spot/

this was designed as a post about fantasy baseball, but you can see what I’m saying using the stats in it. 

The first batter by the  end of the season gets over 100 more at bats per season than the 8th place in the line up. That has to be taken into account in line up construction over speed.

the real question is who do you want to get the most at bats in your line up.

What I want to do is get on the board first and put pressure on the other team to come back. I want the lead heading into the 6th and 7th so we can give it to the pen to close em down.  I would much prefer the HR hitter like Eloy hitting a home run in the 1st inning with Madrigal and Moncada on base rather than leading Eloy off and getting a solo HR.  

4 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

What I want to do is get on the board first and put pressure on the other team to come back. I want the lead heading into the 6th and 7th so we can give it to the pen to close em down.  I would much prefer the HR hitter like Eloy hitting a home run in the 1st inning with Madrigal and Moncada on base rather than leading Eloy off and getting a solo HR.  

I wouldn’t go as far as having Eloy lead off. But defo would have Robert there over Madrigal or Grandal over Leury Garcia for example. 

38 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Don't want a guy who is on record saying he hates leading off to lead off. Moncada himself said he likes to see what the opposing pitcher throws so he can better prepare in his ABs. 

I would think that batting him 6th isn't the worst idea.

Robert

Madrigal

Abreu

Encarnacion

Jimenez

Moncada

Mazara

Grandal

Anderson

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, knightni said:

I would think that batting him 5th isn't the worst idea.

Robert

Madrigal

Abreu

Encarnacion

Jimenez

Moncada

Mazara

Grandal

Anderson

Not only is Moncada batting 6th and not 5th here, but the handedness goes RRRRRSLSR. The three non-RH need to be split up more evenly

Robert is going to be a Soriano in his prime type of leadoff hitter...40 bombs a season ish (with juiced ball FOR SURE). Having him give the team the lead in 12-18 games a season is such a huge thing for a young pitching staff. With opposing starters wanting to establish their fastball...he is going to CRUSH some cookies. 

#2 spot is the one that is most interesting to me. TA, Yoan or Grandal all would be interesting, but I lean towards Yoan. 

Robert, Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Eloy, Encarnacion is insane. 

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

1. Robert CF
2. Moncada 3B
3. Jimenez LF
4. Grandal C
5. Abreu 1B
6. Encarnacion DH
7. Anderson SS
8. Mazara RF
9. Madrigal 2B

or

‪1. Madrigal 2B‬
‪2. Moncada 3B
‪3. Robert CF‬
‪4. Jimenez LF‬
‪5. Grandal C‬
‪6. Abreu 1B‬
‪7. Encarnacion DH‬
‪8. Anderson SS‬
‪9. Mazara RF‬

C'mon, you know damn well Abreu is never leaving the 3 spot under Renteria. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I was quoting his post, not his lineup. I didn't even notice that until @Jose Abreu brought it up anyways.

Let's not over think this.

The best hitter with great speed and power bats first. Robert. 

The best all around hitter/OBP guy with a little speed bats second. (Preference goes to lefty if lead off man and 3rd batter are righties) Moncada

The best power bat and hit tool bats third. Jimenez

Good hitter/high OBP with power hits cleanup. (Preference given to player that helps keep handedness balanced) Grandal

After these four, EE and Abreu can go next. Then Mazara to keep balance, Timmy, and then Magical.