Lead-off Man

Flash

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Let's not over think this.

The best hitter with great speed and power bats first. Robert. 

The best all around hitter/OBP guy with a little speed bats second. (Preference goes to lefty if lead off man and 3rd batter are righties) Moncada

The best power bat and hit tool bats third. Jimenez

Good hitter/high OBP with power hits cleanup. (Preference given to player that helps keep handedness balanced) Grandal

After these four, EE and Abreu can go next. Then Mazara to keep balance, Timmy, and then Magical. 

A little speed? Moncada? :huh:

Again, you know damn well Abreu is not moving out of the 3 spot under Renteria. Don't know why that is even a discussion at this point. 

Edited by SoxAce

I think the one thing everybody should agree on is Madrigal is 9 this year.  He’s a rookie, too bad.  I lean towards this. 

1. R Anderson batting champ   Not perfect but I like having our team middle finger up first 😂

2. S Moncada best hitter

3. R Abreu just cause it’s what they’ll do

4. S Grandal good leadoff for inning 2 if they go 1-2-3 in the first.  

5. R Jimenez I’d prefer he switches with Abreu but whatever

6. R EE I’m sure he’ll be 5 instead of Jimenez because of seniority but ok whatever 

7. L Mazara just because the rookies should be 8-9 but I could see Robert bumping him to 8 at some point.

8. R Robert  Rookie.  Too bad just play him here in 2019. Solves the problems of pressure, seniority etc.  

9. R Madrigal  Rookie. See above

The older, leadery guys are going to bat ahead of rookies   It’s respect.   Use that to our advantage for building lineups.  Makes it easier for RR and RH.  Let Robert, Madrigal, Jimenez, Mazara etc push Abreu, Granda, EE lower for 2021 by putting up better numbers in 2020.  The opposite way is scary.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I think the one thing everybody should agree on is Madrigal is 9 this year.  He’s a rookie, too bad.  I lean towards this. 

1. R Anderson batting champ   Not perfect but I like having our team middle finger up first 😂

2. S Moncada best hitter

6. R EE I’m sure he’ll be 5 instead of Jimenez because of seniority but ok whatever 

7. L Mazara just because the rookies should be 8-9 but I could see Robert bumping him to 8 at some point.

8. R Robert  Rookie.  Too bad just play him here in 2019. Solves the problems of pressure, seniority etc.  

The older, leadery guys are going to bat ahead of rookies   It’s respect.   Use that to our advantage for building lineups.  Makes it easier for RR and RH.  Let Robert, Madrigal, Jimenez, Mazara etc push Abreu, Granda, EE lower for 2021 by putting up better numbers in 2020.  The opposite way is scary.

I'm down for the respect role but if Madrigal is batting 9th posting .300 .390 with a terrific k to walk and it's a month into the season, then we have to worry about winning games and putting Madrigal first.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

2. S Moncada best hitter

This.

And absolutely no question that Moncada should bat 2nd, for the same reason Trout, Yelich, and Judge batting 2nd. Many analysis have shown that you want your player with best combination of power and OBP there.

48 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

C'mon, you know damn well Abreu is never leaving the 3 spot under Renteria. 

I don’t think this is a guarantee like it used to be. Last year, RR didn’t have many options for the 3 spot. Eloy was struggling early, and we didn’t have Grandal or EE. I would guess that Abreu starts at 3, but I don’t think RR will refuse to change things up. This is the first team he has ever coached that isn’t in a rebuilding year. 

28 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don’t think this is a guarantee like it used to be. Last year, RR didn’t have many options for the 3 spot. Eloy was struggling early, and we didn’t have Grandal or EE. I would guess that Abreu starts at 3, but I don’t think RR will refuse to change things up. This is the first team he has ever coached that isn’t in a rebuilding year. 

We'll agree to disagree. There was a period of time last season that Abreu was really struggling and people were questioning Ricky why not just put Moncada there. Eventually Abreu figured it out though.

39 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

.290 AVG with a .380 OBP?  That’s fine?  He’d be one of the best 2B in the league if he hit and got on base like that.  😂

I'm bored so I actually looked up fine in the dictionary and the top definition was "of high quality" while most of us think of fine as "good, satisfactory" another one of the definitions.  So I would say that hopefully Mendick is a gradation of "fine" and we will be OK (which is kind of a synonym for fine so I think I better stop now)

2 hours ago, wegner said:

I'm bored so I actually looked up fine in the dictionary and the top definition was "of high quality" while most of us think of fine as "good, satisfactory" another one of the definitions.  So I would say that hopefully Mendick is a gradation of "fine" and we will be OK (which is kind of a synonym for fine so I think I better stop now)

Like fine wine or fine China or a fine woman.

22 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Yes, but remember that was Betts breakout year. The year before that,2017,he hit .264 with 26 sb and even then was a better than average leadoff hitter. So Boston went into 2018 thinking he would do more like 2017, but he exploded and they just left him as the leadoff hitter. Now they have him bat 2nd with the rise of Devers.

No, last year he still had over 400 lead-off ABs. They tried Benintendi at one point but that failed and Betts returned to lead-off.