Year in Review (2019 Soxtalk)

Look at Ray Ray Run

Well,

I'm bored at the office for a few hours today before another week off and I figured since I just finished my first year posting (who cares, I know), I would do something I don't frequently do - show appreciation for posters and people that make this site enjoyable. We spend a lot of time conversing and arguing with each other about a common interest, but we also learn new things and share those insights. If I didn't name you, it's nothing personal as I miss things from time to time in my elongated breaks due to work.

Sox Talk 2019 Shout Outs -

My favorite Poster: MQR - while I enjoy reading many thoughts and insights on the forum, I have to say that MQR quickly grew into my favorite poster over the past year. I enjoy reading his thoughts and insights - even if we don't agree - and I find him to be very good at describing things in ways that the masses understand; something I am not always great at. I think he walks the fine line between pessimistic and optimistic better than all posters at this site - being reasonable and rational for most of his thoughts while removing his emotion.

My favorite read: Chicago White Sox - He's a passionate SOB and he fluctuates between incredibly optimistic and emotionally pessimistic - that's the nature of being a Sox fan. That said, he tells people what he thinks and sometimes takes some pot shots but all in good fun. He dishes out quite a lot of shit but he's also more than capable of taking shit back without whining or complaining. I love his emotional reaction and take to White Sox baseball - he is my definition of a Sox fan. The guy moved to Nashville to take a stand! That can't be beaten by any other poster.

My favorite stat head: thxfrthmmrs - being a fellow analytic thinker, I enjoy reading his thoughts. We have clashed on countless topics over the past year - data can come to two different conclusions depending on the analyst! - especially basketball, but I really enjoy the thought he puts into his words and the evidence he uses to support his opinions. Even if I don't agree with him always, I am almost guaranteed to always learn something new.

My favorite sparring partner: Dick! - Dick doesn't love when I call him Dick, but I love how honest Dick keeps me. He calls me on my opinions when they become wishywashy and nonsensical. He brings my mistakes to the surface, and he always questions my methods. Dick is one of those people that keeps the place going by keeping everyone on their toes. Glad to have him in the stable of "keeping them honest" posters.

My favorite Contrarian: Moan - Moan takes a lot of heat for his negativity, but you need those type of posters to make sure we don't get to irrationally excited. What I really really like about Moan is that he disagrees with A LOT of posters, but he never attacks them or ridicules them. He spends all that energy on attacking the front office. I respect a poster who can disagree with you without making it personal, and Moan disagrees a lot so he's a pro. In general, I like his insights even if I don't always agree with them.

My favorite thinker: ChiSox59 - This is a guy you know thinks before he posts; frequently providing valuable and additional information to conversations that many might overlook. If you're uncertain of something, ChiSox59 or BMags are the guys to ask. They do a lot of great homework. 

My favorite underdog: Jack Parkman - Jack takes a lot of shit around here, and I'm honestly not a huge fan of some of the personal jabs at the guy but people seem to know him better than I. Jack has a good heart, and wants what is best for the team. I wish we could all collectively lift his spirits more when he gets down on himself or on the White Sox. I'm certain Jack is the kind of guy who would help a stranger in need at Soxtalk, and I appreciate that he realizes his shortcomings and tries to improve on them. 

My favorite researcher: fathom/Orlando - I remember when I came to this forum the perception was that fathom was negative. I can honestly say I would not draw that conclusion. Fathom is great for his knowledge of every baseball rumor that has ever existed for every single team. If you want to know where someone might go, ask Fathom as he's read every twitter/reddit and forum on the net to gauge rumors and fan expectations. In regards to Orlando, I'm like 99% sure that he actually knows exactly what people are about to tweet before they actually do it. 

There are so many other posters I enjoy reading and conversing with and it's one of the reasons it's the only place online that I post. 

BackDoor, Eloy, Lillian, Y2Jimmy for his awesome coverage, PTATC for his medical knowledge, Cali for his constant follow ups and question, and poppy for his unwavering positivity and on and on. 

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and wish you all a happy new year. Here's to a better, happier and more exciting 2020.

Go Sox!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Great recap of personalities here at the greatest compilation of Sox fans on the planet.  Kudos to you as well, Ray for your passion and insight.  I wish to add my hope for a Healthy and Happy New Year to all who post here.  :gosox1:

• Like 1

I am actually back on the Hahn bandwagon after he managed to sign a Boras client that we needed.  I liked all the acquisitions except for Mazara.  I just don’t see a reason to go cheap in RF with a question mark where there were better options available.  But then again, none of us will always agree on players and their talents.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Great recap of personalities here at the greatest compilation of Sox fans on the planet.  Kudos to you as well, Ray for your passion and insight.  I wish to add my hope for a Healthy and Happy New Year to all who post here.  :gosox1:

Ahh, see I missed you - someone whose posts I never miss in the minor league threads! Love your knowledge on those levels and appreciate you filling in the blanks for things I, and many others, may not follow quite as closely!

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ahh, see I missed you - someone whose posts I never miss in the minor league threads! Love your knowledge on those levels and appreciate you filling in the blanks for things I, and many others, may not follow quite as closely!

Any knowledge I have pales in comparison to many here...that is why I come here first if any news about the White Sox is breaking or hopefully about to break....or if I am just looking to vent or celebrate.  

I wasn't looking for a shout out...but I'll take it.

And one more time before the year comes to a close 👀

Best Thread (for me) was the continued Manny Machado saga with the ever-changing titles. So many highs and lows over the first couple months of 2019. "We have him!" "We don't!" "But sources!"

Even when it ended it heartbreak, it really was a thrilling ride that brought a lot of old posters out of retirement and attracted a lot of new posters (or activated old lurkers) to the board. 

5 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Best Thread (for me) was the continued Manny Machado saga with the ever-changing titles. So many highs and lows over the first couple months of 2019. "We have him!" "We don't!" "But sources!"

Even when it ended it heartbreak, it really was a thrilling ride that brought a lot of old posters out of retirement and attracted a lot of new posters (or activated old lurkers) to the board. 

Yeah, it's when I got involved with posting here. It was one hell of a roller coaster and taught me to shut off all the noise and wait until that baby is delivered!

It was an up and down year; amazing that all the anger and sadness about Machado wasn't warranted as it may have been the best thing to happen to the rebuild. 

If people want to add threads and etc to read that was good from the year prior that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Best year on the board since 2012 imo.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It feels like that Manny thread was in 2012.   Was that really just earlier this year?  Such a pleasant off season this has been.

• Like 1

@Look at Ray Ray Run Always nice to see a classy post. There is a cornucopia of wonderful posters here and it's why I've been coming here for over 15 years. And many thanks to Jason  (owner) and the Argonauts (moderators} for keeping this place going and for being good sheriffs. Rock on !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

@Look at Ray Ray Run Always nice to see a classy post. There is a cornucopia of wonderful posters here and it's why I've been coming here for over 15 years. And many thanks to Jason  (owner) and the Argonauts (moderators} for keeping this place going and for being good sheriffs. Rock on !

we just need @southsider2k5 to rejoin us this year!  Let bygones by bygones.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

we just need @southsider2k5 to rejoin us this year!  Let bygones by bygones.

I agree he flashed through my mind while i was reading the thread. I don't know what made him leave. Maybe the new influx of posters being a little too brash. I'd rather avoid most run ins with posters unless I can have arguments without getting nasty and try to avoid trigger words that upset people. Maybe many don't care about that but I'd rather not use the forum to act like a tough guy just because it's easy. It's much harder to conduct yourself with some dignity.

I know he still lurks but maybe not posting is better for his blood pressure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree he flashed through my mind while i was reading the thread. I don't know what made him leave. Maybe the new influx of posters being a little too brash. I'd rather avoid most run ins with posters unless I can have arguments without getting nasty and try to avoid trigger words that upset people. Maybe many don't care about that but I'd rather not use the forum to act like a tough guy just because it's easy. It's much harder to conduct yourself with some dignity.

I know he still lurks but maybe not posting is better for his blood pressure.

When I first joined over a decade ago, after all the skirmishes with Ncorgbl at chisox.com MLB boards, Chisoxfn, Southsider2k5 and Balta were probably the three best posters.  Fathom was always the most reliable/faithful gameday poster, and his Cubs' obsession was amusing, although that obviously changed to an extent after 2016.

Dick Allen and I were sworn enemies, and then that transformed, probably or likely as a result of the infamous FILIBUSTER.

Now there is only KyLle Ren and occasional Rabbit appearances.  There's a couple of posters who departed that I miss (along with Scenario on the minor league side), but it was probably the best thing for the board.  I suppose the vitriol of political arguments in some ways got refocused into "whose side are you on?" arguments over the last three plus years of rebuilding, and your personal beliefs about the contributions of Hahn, KW and Reinsdorf to that malaise. 

Thankfully, that's OVER, at least until Opening Day.  The last time there was this much shared excitement in the fanbase was the Cabrera/LaRoche/Robertson off-season or early August, 2012.   It's long overdue that MOSTLY everyone can be optimistic/hopeful/positive.

Edited by caulfield12

Hopefully the 2020 year in review is a year of everyone singing Kumbaya as the Sox rebuild ended in proper fashion with a World Series championship. What...a man can dream, right?  Either way this place has a lot of people that make it special. I don't post near as much as I used to, due to work and family obligations, but I still read religiously and despite how tough it has been as a Sox fan this decade, we finally appear headed/positioned for what should be a fun decade (2020).  

On 12/30/2019 at 8:33 PM, Eloy Jiménez said:

You guys are all pretty awesome.

Even @Chisox378

Also, if this board had a spirit animal, it would be greg

Thanks Eloy. I would say fathom, caulfield should be the first posters deemed board Hall of Famers. I blocked southsider so I didn't notice he was gone. I'm no mod, but if anybody ever needed a vacation it was he. He was so mad all the time. But the poster of the decade is El Rockin. What can you say about El Rockin. He doesn't care what is up with the team. He loves all players and never appears to get mad at anything Sox team related.  Also Harry Chappas is a smart man and his Brother Rice connection makes me his supporter. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Thanks Eloy. I would say fathom, caulfield should be the first posters deemed board Hall of Famers. I blocked southsider so I didn't notice he was gone. I'm no mod, but if anybody ever needed a vacation it was he. He was so mad all the time. But the poster of the decade is El Rockin. What can you say about El Rockin. He doesn't care what is up with the team. He loves all players and never appears to get mad at anything Sox team related.  Also Harry Chappas is a smart man and his Brother Rice connection makes me his supporter. 

Is Southsider gone for good?  Is he still a Mod?

Good thread! The best 2019 thread was certainly the Manny one. Christ going through that was a rollercoaster. I was so mad I had to walk outside at work and get some fresh air to calm down. Especially after Rick's and Kenny's comments.