Here’s A Laugh

The Sir

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I could take some of my issues one at a time this offseason if I don't get put on vacation for it.

1.) W/L. For decade after decade, Hall of Fame ballot after Hall of Fame ballot, W/L was huge, maybe THE most important factor in a starter being named to Hall of Fame or not. And also huge factor in the Cy Young voting. Now if you mention W/L at all you are laughed out of the discussion. I do not care much for analytics but something like this is a huge pet peeve of mine. From one of the most important factors EVER involving a pitcher's performance to "nobody cares about wins and loss record!!!"

Because stat itself does not measure the talent or performance of a pitcher.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Does Greg have a brother who's a Twins fan? Here's a couple other gems from the same poster in the same thread:

In reference to Yolmer being a GG and had an OPS+ of 80 last year:

He sounds like a real twat brain, mildly entertaining. His trash talk is uber juvenile. 

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Still matters for hall of fame and CY.  And it definitely matters for GMs signing free agents; just not as much as it used to.  It definitely still factors in though.  A GM would be an absolute idiot not to use all information available. 

For the most part it counts for Cy Young but Hernandez won it a few years ago despite a W/L record that wasn't special

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I could take some of my issues one at a time this offseason if I don't get put on vacation for it.

1.) W/L. For decade after decade, Hall of Fame ballot after Hall of Fame ballot, W/L was huge, maybe THE most important factor in a starter being named to Hall of Fame or not. And also huge factor in the Cy Young voting. Now if you mention W/L at all you are laughed out of the discussion. I do not care much for analytics but something like this is a huge pet peeve of mine. From one of the most important factors EVER involving a pitcher's performance to "nobody cares about wins and loss record!!!"

Who would you rather have:

SP who's 5-10 with a 3.00 ERA

SP who's 10-5 with a 5.00 ERA

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

For the most part it counts for Cy Young but Hernandez won it a few years ago despite a W/L record that wasn't special

Who would you rather have:

SP who's 5-10 with a 3.00 ERA

SP who's 10-5 with a 5.00 ERA

1998 Rick Helling (20-7 with a 4.41 ERA) or 2013 Chris Sale (11-14 with a 3.07 ERA)...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pcq said:

Sox are low on hustle index but excel on bunted balls in play. He left out Kopech Robert and Madrigal. If the Twinks sign Josh D and move Skanko to 1B they would be well served. They signed a pitcher who may not even pitch. I would speculate Josh is just using them for leverage. Even though the Sox have a Fundamentals section the Twins play better baseball. We have all seen that but we have Rikki Rentoria. 

Rikki?  Really?  Be better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

And while it's obvious that the guy doesn't know who Robert and Madrigal are, I still think there's a good chance that our 2020 team is actually good defensively. I wrote about this yesterday but in a nutshell, we have terrific defenders at the most important positions (with Anderson being the lone exception) and that should outweigh the bad defense at 1B and LF, even if Anderson doesn't improve at SS. 

I really enjoyed your article there Jose. It's an aspect of the whitesox that you really don't think about that much.  But this does make me ask how many gold gloves will the whitesox win in the next 5 - 6 years?  I  got to think possibly Moncada at 3rd and Madrigal at 2nd? I'm sure not next year but a good chance later on?

So, after proclaiming that they were going to shore up their rotation, it appears that the Twins will spend the big money on another bat, in Donaldson. That offense worked last year, but ultimately, it's still pitching that wins championships and their rotation looks pretty thin and pretty weak. They have reportedly offered $90 million to Donaldson and if he signs with them, he could certainly replace the loss of Cron and Schoop, but if the League goes back to the old ball, I don't see them continuing to hit the long ball, at last year's pace.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

I really enjoyed your article there Jose. It's an aspect of the whitesox that you really don't think about that much.  But this does make me ask how many gold gloves will the whitesox win in the next 5 - 6 years?  I  got to think possibly Moncada at 3rd and Madrigal at 2nd? I'm sure not next year but a good chance later on?

Thanks for reading. I think the only current Sox with that kind of defensive potential are Moncada, Madrigal, and Robert. If Anderson really steps it up defensively, he has the ability to be that good, but I think it's more likely that he improves to a slightly above-average defensive SS, which would be more than acceptable 

17 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

And while it's obvious that the guy doesn't know who Robert and Madrigal are, I still think there's a good chance that our 2020 team is actually good defensively. I wrote about this yesterday but in a nutshell, we have terrific defenders at the most important positions (with Anderson being the lone exception) and that should outweigh the bad defense at 1B and LF, even if Anderson doesn't improve at SS. 

Anderson is much better than people give him credit.   He makes great plays on balls he has no business getting to.  It's the simple play that sometimes eludes him.  It's mental...not physical.

23 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I know they will regress...but regression for them probably means 90-93 wins still. Are Sox prepared to win that many? At THIS point of the off-season I say not yet. I'd say 86-89 feels about right and MAYBE a chance at 90-92 if everything went perfect.

I don’t see a 90 win team with that twins roster

15 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Thanks for reading. I think the only current Sox with that kind of defensive potential are Moncada, Madrigal, and Robert. If Anderson really steps it up defensively, he has the ability to be that good, but I think it's more likely that he improves to a slightly above-average defensive SS, which would be more than acceptable 

Moncada won’t be winning a gold glove any time soon as long as Matt Chapman’s playing 3rd

On 1/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, thxfrthmmrs said:

Does Greg have a brother who's a Twins fan? Here's a couple other gems from the same poster in the same thread:

In reference to Yolmer being a GG and had an OPS+ of 80 last year:

Some people see change as the enemy. Just give me my old tricks and play happy.

18 hours ago, smellysox said:

I believe Keuchel has won some as well.  

Who really cares what a poster is saying on a Twins fan site? Most of what is said on this site is biased too. The sox can compete this year, but no doubt have some question marks. The sox are in that 80-85 win category. Twins are probably a hair above at 85-90. Indians same. There will be a ton of close games and injuries, etc. that determine the outcome. 

Let's just have fun watching the games and competitive baseball. 

9 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Who really cares what a poster is saying on a Twins fan site? Most of what is said on this site is biased too. The sox can compete this year, but no doubt have some question marks. The sox are in that 80-85 win category. Twins are probably a hair above at 85-90. Indians same. There will be a ton of close games and injuries, etc. that determine the outcome. 

Let's just have fun watching the games and competitive baseball. 

It’s not the bias. If we weren’t all biased, we wouldn’t be diehard sports fans. I get and respect that.

It’s the gross ignorance.

The not understanding Encarnacion’s role so you end up thinking his D matters, the writing off Dylan Cease, the total unawareness of Robert and Madrigal’s very existence. And thinking Yoán Moncada will regress while Mitch Garver won’t isn’t just bias; it’s stupidity.

I hate the Twins more than any other team in sports, but I am actually aware of Brusdar Graterol and Alex Kiriloff, and I’m not idiotic enough to write them off.

We’re all Sox homers here. No argument about that. But very few of us are that...dumb. That’s what I find funny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1