Can the 20s be the best decade in Sox history?

Jack Parkman

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I can objectively say they have a better stadium, if for no other reason than the retractable roof...and definitely not for the more overpriced/trendy food.   Based on having spent many games at OldComiskey, Kauffman (which was the original model and has a very similar upper deck) and GRF...and a handful in Seattle at Safeco.  I guess the best argument for Chicago now is that it's more of a home field advantage with the lower bowl full than a sparsely attended Mariners game in that bigger facility.

The problem is that the history of the M's goes back only until, what, 1977?

If you chop off 75+ years of White Sox history to make it an equivalent comparison in term of player comps, any list over time becomes much less impressive.

Just like if you only considered Griffey's rookie year through around the 2003 season for the Mariners...of course, you can do the same for the White Sox from 1990-2008 and argue they even had the 3rd or 4th or 5th best overall MLB record (behind the Braves, Yankees, Cardinals or Red Sox) over a nearly two decade-long stretch.

Of course, the obviously problem for the White Sox is that, other than 2005 and the last 2-3 weeks of 2008, they've been completely overshadowed by the Cubs in the city of Chicago, so we'll always have that stigma of being the second team in the market, like the Mets and A's.

And in that timeframe, the Sox have a ring. The Mariners don't. 

The Mariners have made the playoffs 4 times (yes, once back-to-back) despite all the megastar talent you listed and Nintendo money.

14 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm in the boat that I just want to have a competitive team, consistently. That's what I watch for. 

I know a lot of people on here would MUCH rather have 1 World series win and no other playoff appearances, but for me, I'd prefer to have 10 years of playoffs and 0 WS wins.

I love when this team is competitive and can follow along and watch the games with joy. I can do that with or without a WS. 

Give me one World Series win over ten straight playoff appearances all day

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sarava said:

Win 2 World Series in the roaring 20s and we have our best decade ever. I'm not saying it's likely, but I'd love to see the Sox have a 20s, like the Blackhawks had in the 10s.

Multiple playoff appearances and a few rings with a Blackhawks type run this decade definitely puts them best of the modern era!

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm in the boat that I just want to have a competitive team, consistently. That's what I watch for. 

I know a lot of people on here would MUCH rather have 1 World series win and no other playoff appearances, but for me, I'd prefer to have 10 years of playoffs and 0 WS wins.

I love when this team is competitive and can follow along and watch the games with joy. I can do that with or without a WS. 

I am in your camp. Regular contention makes every season fun. Marlins have won multiple championships but suck pretty much every year other than that. Nothing fun about thag. Sustained winning and playoff appearances are what I want. Hopefully a series win comes with that but I’d take a Braves like run or recent Dodger run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am in your camp. Regular contention makes every season fun. Marlins have won multiple championships but suck pretty much every year other than that. Nothing fun about thag. Sustained winning and playoff appearances are what I want. Hopefully a series win comes with that but I’d take a Braves like run or recent Dodger run. 

I'm kind of torn in between, but really I want both.  2005 lives forever.  But its been way too long since we've seen post season baseball on the Southside.  I want as many chances to win it all as possible.

21 hours ago, greg775 said:

I hear what you are saying. I'm not quite with you. A lot of people would take one WS win and no other playoff appearances as you say. I would gladly take 1 WS win, preferably early in the decade and three more playoff appearances and be very happy. And ideally have us in contention each of the other years of the decade. If the Sox have to tank again in the relatively near future, that will be annoying.

I was there for the 1959 World Series so I was ecstatic for 2005!!

19 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I know this is irrelevant and in the past, but could you even imagine this lineup in 2021 had a certain trade never happened?

C-Grandal

1B-Vaughn

2B-Madrigal

SS-Tatis Jr.

3B-Moncada

RF-Robert

CF-Anderson

LF-Jimenez

DH-Abreu

SO MANY DINGERS

20 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I know this is irrelevant and in the past, but could you even imagine this lineup in 2021 had a certain trade never happened?

C-Grandal

1B-Vaughn

2B-Madrigal

SS-Tatis Jr.

3B-Moncada

RF-Robert

CF-Anderson

LF-Jimenez

DH-Abreu

SO MANY DINGERS

Cubs fans think the same thing. Ya gotta move on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Quin said:

Well, in the 50s and 60s you went straight to the World Series. The Sox had 17 straight winning seasons and we're consistently blocked by the Yankees.

The 1954 squad went 94-60 which was only good for third place. There must have been a few pretty bad teams in that eight team league just after the Browns left St. Loo and the A's were getting ready to leave Phila. The Senators were almost always bad. 

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

C-Grandal

1B-Vaughn

2B-Madrigal

SS-Tatis Jr.

3B-Moncada

RF-Robert

CF-Anderson

LF-Jimenez

DH-Abreu

SO MANY DINGERS

This isn’t entirely accurate though. The Tatis trade essentially started the whole rebuild process because Shields was so bad. If that trade never happened, there’s no guarantee that the team would look the same as it does right now.

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

C-Grandal

1B-Vaughn

2B-Madrigal

SS-Tatis Jr.

3B-Moncada

RF-Robert

CF-Anderson

LF-Jimenez

DH-Abreu

SO MANY DINGERS

The Tatis trade helped lead to the rebuild. The Tatis trade also will probably lead to not trading any of our valuable prospects for average vets. Some good wil come from it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Tatis trade helped lead to the rebuild. The Tatis trade also will probably lead to not trading any of our valuable prospects for average vets. Some good wil come from it. 

Yeah. Hahn has said that trading Tatis for Shields, and Tatis blowing up after the trade was the last straw that pushed Jerry to OK the rebuild. If the Sox didn't make that trade, there's a good chance that they hold on to Sale/Q/Eaton for another season and the trade market would have been worse for those guys with 2-4 years left instead of 3-5. They still would have received good players, but there's a good chance that the nucleus of this team isn't here with Tatis, and that includes Robert. If the Sox are carrying a 110M+ payroll in 2017, there's a good chance Jerry wouldn't have given the thumbs up to spend $52M on Robert. So in a way, think that the Sox traded Sale, Eaton, Quintana and Tatis for the 2016-17 Hauls. 

The Sox did excellent work grabbing Kopech and Cease before they blew up on prospect lists publicly, and buying low on Giolito after the prospect shine had lost its luster a bit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Maybe Tatis and Yoan will enter The Hall together. Maybe Tatis will have a chronic bad back and his brother will emerge as a talent along with Yogurt Sanchez. Some people thought Buxton was going to have a great career. Others thought Ortiz wasn't worth keeping around and not coachable. Maybe Muchado will never make the playoffs. 

On 1/1/2020 at 6:35 PM, Quin said:

The Sox had 17 straight winning seasons and we're consistently blocked by the Yankees.

I believe the Sox were the overall winningest team in the American League in the 90s...  a lot of 2nd place finishes, but only one playoff appearance.

That's been the MO of this team for a long time... good but not quite good enough.

I dream of them to have a team that because of its success, will be identified by the faces of its players by a generation of fans everywhere. Think of Garvey, Lopes, Baker, and Cey; or Nettles, Jackson, Guidry and PInellla; or Stargell, Madlock, Parker and Tekulve. Those legends defined the teams they played and made them timeless. Could this young core the Sox will have locked up become like one of those?

SFF