Golf/PGA TOUR thread

Golf question of the year: Will Brooks Koepka continue to not give a shit about normal tournaments and run over everyone at majors? He seems to be in the mix at most of them, even though he only won one last year, IIRC he finished  runner up at both the Masters and US Open. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So my varsity season started this past week. Worst team I've coached in a while. The brightest spot was a freshman that fired a nifty little 75 at a very difficult course. My #3 developed a case of the full swing iron shanks and shot a 127. He's normally in the mid 80s. I was searching for shank cures after using up everything I knew on the front nine. 

On 10/3/2020 at 2:15 PM, Texsox said:

So my varsity season started this past week. Worst team I've coached in a while. The brightest spot was a freshman that fired a nifty little 75 at a very difficult course. My #3 developed a case of the full swing iron shanks and shot a 127. He's normally in the mid 80s. I was searching for shank cures after using up everything I knew on the front nine. 

I started shanking chip shots on #18 Monday.  And I was chipping the best in 10 years!  Post whatever you come up with, I gotta know.  Wristiness was suggested to me one time as a cause by a great golfer/coach I know, but I took the wrists out of my chipping.

Edited by Stinky Stanky

6 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I started shanking chip shots on #18 Monday.  And I was chipping the best in 10 years!  Post whatever you come up with, I gotta know.  Wristiness was suggested to me one time as a cause by a great golfer/coach I know, but I took the wrists out of my chipping.

My checklist regardless of what's happening always starts with grip, stance, and alignment. For shanks, which mercifully are rare in high school players, I look for being too close to the ball, weight on your heels at address, or feet too wide of the target. 

I hit on the weight thing by accident. But it's happened to a couple players. They are rocked back at address and then lean forward as they swing. 

My first try is

"You're too good of a player to suddenly develope this. Let's go putt for a while and come back tomorrow fresh." Whatever the problem is usually just goes away if you stop trying to fix it. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

My checklist regardless of what's happening always starts with grip, stance, and alignment. For shanks, which mercifully are rare in high school players, I look for being too close to the ball, weight on your heels at address, or feet too wide of the target. 

I hit on the weight thing by accident. But it's happened to a couple players. They are rocked back at address and then lean forward as they swing. 

My first try is

"You're too good of a player to suddenly develope this. Let's go putt for a while and come back tomorrow fresh." Whatever the problem is usually just goes away if you stop trying to fix it. 

Good one.  Weight distribution.  There's a 60 yard chipping range at the local course here.  I'll hit it today.  BTW, I was having a devil of a time with fat and thin chips until I took my wrists out of it.  But I'm an old guy and you teach young guys.

Exactly. Big muscles are better than small muscles under pressure. I've seen really good players dead wrist wedges to 150 yards. With today's balls you get plenty of control without a hard release. 

• 3 weeks later...

So it's blowing 30 mph from the north and the temp drops 30 degrees in two hours. I'm with my varsity on Mondays and in our group chat a couple players ask if we're practicing today. I was just thinking this is insane the wind will be dead on into us on the range and I should cancel but since they asked . . .

Of course we're going to practice!

Oh gawd I've become such a fair weather player since moving to Texas lol.

So we're working on little knock down shots trying to control the trajectory. I had an 8 iron with me. I got challenged to hit a 110 yard shot to a spot on the range. I haven't really played since December. 

Boom! A little 3/4 shot, dead solid center of the club face perfect contact. I could not have hit it any better.

Landed 30 yards short of the target lol. That wind was ferocious. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the past three weeks to get back into a little golf shape I've been bringing my 8 iron to practice and hitting a few shots between coaching.  I was sitting on a par three that was playing about 148 to a back right pin.  No way this old man could cut an 8 148 yards but I thought I would take a couple shots as groups came through. 

First shot comes up predictably about 25 feet short.  I told my guys to just leave the ball.  Second shot is about two feet from the first.  I try not to laugh.  I'm happy to just get the club square on the ball with decent compression.  Third shot hits off one of the balls.  I've never, in forty five years of playing,  hit three shots in a row that close.  I walked up to the green with the kids explaining how consistency is the key to scoring, trying to act like that's normal.  lol. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Speaking of Texas golf, they're finishing the US Women's Open in Houston today at 43 degrees, 37 wind chill, playing in winter coats.  

It was pretty nasty here in San Antonio. 

• 2 months later...