2020 Catch-All

knightni

On 1/3/2020 at 2:45 PM, Eloy Jiménez said:

Thinking about buying a condo in Chicago. There are some good prices at Marina City Towers.

...AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

If interested, find a good realtor and start to dig into the health of the building and HOA.  I just checked one listing, they said assessments are $600/mth, that's a lot of money for a 1 bedroom unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My grandma died last night at 91. It wasn't unexpected, and she died peacefully of natural causes at home like she wanted. Still hurts, she was my last grandparent.

It's ok for men to cry and I know that, but that doesn't mean I like it. Sigh. I've been sulking and drinking wine all day, I have to go to the gym and do legs, or at least just eat something. I can hear her voice lecturing me though. I need to just get off my ass and do it.

https://www.opytfh.com/obituary/RoseA-SowaneeCrnogorac

18 hours ago, lostfan said:

My grandma died last night at 91. It wasn't unexpected, and she died peacefully of natural causes at home like she wanted. Still hurts, she was my last grandparent.

It's ok for men to cry and I know that, but that doesn't mean I like it. Sigh. I've been sulking and drinking wine all day, I have to go to the gym and do legs, or at least just eat something. I can hear her voice lecturing me though. I need to just get off my ass and do it.

https://www.opytfh.com/obituary/RoseA-SowaneeCrnogorac

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.  

• Like 1

My dad has been pretty sad and depressed for the past week but he called me this morning in surprisingly high spirits, and I'm not saying it's because she left him $250k in her will along with 20% of the proceeds from her 3 properties, but I'm sure that didn't hurt!

Anyone have experience in luxury watches and/or handbags? I’ve got a bit of unexpected cash coming in shortly, and I think I’d like to get myself a TAG Heuer and the wife a Louis Vuitton or Prada bag. Keep it around $4-5K total.

For mine, I really like the Formula 1 Series and I much prefer an automatic at that dollar amount. I have also considered an Aquaracer. Any other brands or models I should consider? Frederique Constantin has some interesting ones in my range but I don’t know much about them.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, lane said:

Anyone have experience in luxury watches and/or handbags? I’ve got a bit of unexpected cash coming in shortly, and I think I’d like to get myself a TAG Heuer and the wife a Louis Vuitton or Prada bag. Keep it around $4-5K total.

For mine, I really like the Formula 1 Series and I much prefer an automatic at that dollar amount. I have also considered an Aquaracer. Any other brands or models I should consider? Frederique Constantin has some interesting ones in my range but I don’t know much about them.

I used to own a Formula 1 (quartz) but I now have an Aquaracer. The Aquaracer is definitely better quality IMHO. The automatic movement is definitely the way to go so it will last forever. If you can afford the ceramic bezel, get it. 

If you're open to non-TAG models, I strongly recommend looking for an Omega Seamaster or Speedmaster. There are some good ones which can be had for $2000 with guaranteed legitimacy.  Then I would recommend you find an Omega boutique (they have them everywhere) and have them give the full service. They'll replace the gaskets, clean it out, make it look like brand new, and then you'll get it back. For about $2500 you have a rehabilitated watch good as new.

I know nothing about Prada bags or LV, but if you buy a TAG and a LV bag, you'll be writing a big ole check to the same company (LVMH).

Edited by Eloy Jiménez
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is my 15 year anniversary on this site. I still check in pretty much every day. 

This site has been a blessing for an out of state Sox fan. Kudos to all who post and moderate. Hopefully, we have some baseball to talk about soon. This season is the most excited I’ve been about a team in several years.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Tomorrow is my 15 year anniversary on this site. I still check in pretty much every day. 

This site has been a blessing for an out of state Sox fan. Kudos to all who post and moderate. Hopefully, we have some baseball to talk about soon. This season is the most excited I’ve been about a team in several years.

Happy Anniversary!!! Hopefully we get some baseball to talk about soon enough :)

On 3/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

Agreed,,. and add MLB,TV to blessings for an out of state fan.

On 3/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

Middle Buffalo aka the guy we wish would post more. 

Happy Anniversary (belated)

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Middle Buffalo aka the guy we wish would post more. 

Happy Anniversary (belated)

Thanks, Tex.

I’m a little like Ron Kittle. I won Rookie of the Year, am easily recognized (same avatar for 15 years), and now I’m just part of the White Sox scenery. 

• Haha 2

On 4/2/2020 at 8:03 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

Thanks, Tex.

I’m a little like Ron Kittle. I won Rookie of the Year, am easily recognized (same avatar for 15 years), and now I’m just part of the White Sox scenery. 

Perhaps it's time to cHaNgE.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So which world leader has the coolest whip?

1. President Trump = a Cadillac nicknamed "the Beast"
  2. South Korean President Moon Jae-in = Hyundai Nexo SUV
  3. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson = Jaguar XJ Sentinel
  4. German Chancellor Angela Merkel = Audi A8
  5. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe = Toyota Century Royal

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sears Tower basement flooded and knocked out power to the building.  Pretty sure the last time that happened was when someone punched a hole in the Chicago River and flooded the loop about a couple of decades ago.

The Great Flood, that was about the strangest disaster of all time. The tunnel system is fascinating. 

• knightni locked and unpinned this topic