2020 Catch-All

knightni

Here's where the creek runs through the edge of my backyard. Today, like normal, you can't even see the creek. It's about a foot below the bank where last years' cattails are:

vcJGFg1.jpg

Yesterday, the water was up to where I took the picture this morning and flowing strongly

1CKRoWj.jpg

thankfully my yard slopes pretty well away from the house in two directions so I didn't have to worry about flooding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/lori-loughlin-guilty/index.html

sorry Aunt Becky, maybe Uncle Jesse can visit from time to time

As much as I believe what they did was wrong, prison time seems too harsh. I'd rather see a couple million dollar scholarship fund set up than be paying for their room and board for a year or two. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Texsox said:

As much as I believe what they did was wrong, prison time seems too harsh. I'd rather see a couple million dollar scholarship fund set up than be paying for their room and board for a year or two. 

She thumbed her nose at it for quite a while and others took their lumps.  We both know that neither of them will be serving all that time 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

The rich get to buy their way out of jail?  Seems reasonable.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Maybe they should work in a soup kitchen for a year or two. That would humble them. 

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yep, that part doesn't sound good which is why prison time is such a popular outcome. 

Who is benefiting from them in prison? Taxpayers? No taxpayers will be paying. 

It's not like they will try this again. So they aren't likely to be repeat offenders. 

So they screwed over other college students. How about at least symbolically showing restitution to those that were harmed by a really nice scholarship fund or endow an oversight committee to assure fairness in selection at USC. I'm not certain a Federal low security country club prison is really the way to go. Anyone want to spend 6 to 9 months reading and working out? It's not like their lives post prison will be a struggle to find jobs and remove the stigma of time in jail. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Yep, that part doesn't sound good which is why prison time is such a popular outcome. 

It's not like they will try this again. So they aren't likely to be repeat offenders. 

I couldn't disagree more. Without consequences, it's very likely (IMO) that they will try again. Especially when it comes to white collar crime like this

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I couldn't disagree more. Without consequences, it's very likely (IMO) that they will try again. Especially when it comes to white collar crime like this

All of their kids are in college. Unless they decide to cheat for other people's kids. Even if they had another child, the world would be watching for where they attend college. 

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

All of their kids are in college. Unless they decide to cheat for other people's kids. Even if they had another child, the world would be watching for where they attend college. 

Yeah I should have clarified: either they would cheat for other people's kids, or other rich parents would feel comfortable doing the same for their kids since there weren't real punishments (in this example)

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah I should have clarified: either they would cheat for other people's kids, or other rich parents would feel comfortable doing the same for their kids since there weren't real punishments (in this example)

A $3,000,000 fine isn't punishment? 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

OK. You don't think a thousand kids getting $30,000 scholarships would help society more than taxpayers spending $100,000 keeping them locked up? 

Why not both? 

My main concern is that allowing for loopholes where the super wealthy get to avoid prison time, while non-violent offenders remain locked up, is just very inconsistent and unfair to the latter

19 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Why not both? 

My main concern is that allowing for loopholes where the super wealthy get to avoid prison time, while non-violent offenders remain locked up, is just very inconsistent and unfair to the latter

Interesting conversation - thank you, I appreciate your points. 

We could also compare rapists getting probation. You're saying avoid prison time, as if that's the default. I'm not certain it should be. Why are we always looking at ways to put people in prison? Even more so for non-violent offenders. 

I agree with all your points yet arrive at a different conclusion. I also don't like the thought of the wealthy avoiding prison time when the poor would be different. But this is a crime of the wealthy. They are the only ones who can spend the $500,000 in bribes. They are also the only ones that can pay private tutors and tuition at the best schools to legally assure their kids get into the best colleges. So the system is already inequitable. So I guess I'm looking for a punishment that perhaps tilts that inequity a little more to the middle and not seeing that tilt in a prison sentence. 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, Texsox said:

So they screwed over other college students. How about at least symbolically showing restitution to those that were harmed by a really nice scholarship fund or endow an oversight committee to assure fairness in selection at USC. I'm not certain a Federal low security country club prison is really the way to go. Anyone want to spend 6 to 9 months reading and working out? It's not like their lives post prison will be a struggle to find jobs and remove the stigma of time in jail. 

I say no prison, but a 10 million dollar fine. I wonder if two months in prison is worth 10 mill to Lori L. Or would she say screw it, we need the 10 mill, I'll serve my month with good behavior. This is a bad crime, but cmon, what good is two months is prison? She's no threat to society and she might get hurt in there. I mean yeah a 10 to 15 million dollar fine.

I was listening to Biden and he wants no prison time for drug offenses. He wants them to do their time in rehabiliitation centers. Especially marijuana, no jail time for that of course since it's legal in many places. I heard it on the Breakfast Show in which he ended with the controversial statement. Times are changing regarding prison, folks, and Lori L deserves no prison, just an empty wallet/pocketbook. And of course some community service. 300 hours of community service is a lot of work.

Edited by greg775

• 2 weeks later...

In three hours the school year will officially end and I can't take any more late assignments. We'll see who has really cut it to the last second. So far 12:25 was the last. One of my players who I also had for English. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

In three hours the school year will officially end and I can't take any more late assignments. We'll see who has really cut it to the last second. So far 12:25 was the last. One of my players who I also had for English. 

My wife's year ended on the 19th. The flood of submissions that came in between 12-4 from the students she spent weeks trying to get to turn in ANYTHING to bring their grades up was annoying but predictable.

One of my favorites just turned in the final project an hour ago. Great kid. The past two months he worked his butt off auditioning and getting a portfolio in to be accept at a fashion design college in New York. I told him he was good for the year but wanted to finish and keep his A in the class. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/antiracism-movement-leads-to-cops-gone-with-the-wind-being-pulled-from-platforms-190716936.html

Banning Gone With the Wind and Paw Patrol?   That’s really getting close to Orwellian, that kids should be denied a show they love that provides a positive image of police officers because SOME are bad seems a bit insane.

The Confederate base names and statues and Stars & Bars I certainly get, but...

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/antiracism-movement-leads-to-cops-gone-with-the-wind-being-pulled-from-platforms-190716936.html

Banning Gone With the Wind and Paw Patrol?   That’s really getting close to Orwellian, that kids should be denied a show they love that provides a positive image of police officers because SOME are bad seems a bit insane.

The Confederate base names and statues and Stars & Bars I certainly get, but...

Pretty much anything deemed offensive in terms of race has to be removed. For instance U. of Texas and Texas A&M have to get rid of some traditional stuff like playing "The Eyes of Texas" and yanking down some statues. If it offense just one or two regarding race it must go. I truly hope reparations are given in HUGE $$ quantities after the next election as I think that will help as well. Money always talks in all aspects of life. But Gone with the Wind must go and any show with cops has to go. Just the way it is right now.

• knightni locked and unpinned this topic