2020 Catch-All

knightni

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Pretty much anything deemed offensive in terms of race has to be removed. For instance U. of Texas and Texas A&M have to get rid of some traditional stuff like playing "The Eyes of Texas" and yanking down some statues. If it offense just one or two regarding race it must go. I truly hope reparations are given in HUGE $$ quantities after the next election as I think that will help as well. Money always talks in all aspects of life. But Gone with the Wind must go and any show with cops has to go. Just the way it is right now.

Another sign of the coming apocalypse.

Titled “Replace Confederate statues in New Orleans with statues of Louisiana hero Britney Spears,” a Change.Org petition that has already amassed more than 22,000 signatures suggests taking over the Confederate monuments with tributes to the singer.

Addressed to Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards and four other state officials, the petition, which was created by Louisiana resident Kassie Thibodeaux, suggests the state “Do the right thing: Replace the Confederate statues with an actual Louisiana hero and influential human being, Britney Spears.”

“Before becoming one of the world's most important and influential pop legends, Britney Spears was living life in a small Southern town by the name of Kentwood, La.,” the petition reads. “Not only has Britney proven her talent, but she's proven her strength of character by not only overcoming highly publicized mental breakdown, but by continuously working towards improving herself. She's an inspiration to millions.” 

I’m thinking it might take more than Ja Morant to get the Robert E. Lee statue removed from Murray, KY, town square.  I just hope that young people today are still being taught who Lee was...there’s the historian side of me that starts rebelling when we skip over all the great battles of the Civil War and the depth of analysis boils down simply to this or that historical figure was racist.  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Pretty much anything deemed offensive in terms of race has to be removed. For instance U. of Texas and Texas A&M have to get rid of some traditional stuff like playing "The Eyes of Texas" and yanking down some statues. If it offense just one or two regarding race it must go. I truly hope reparations are given in HUGE $$ quantities after the next election as I think that will help as well. Money always talks in all aspects of life. But Gone with the Wind must go and any show with cops has to go. Just the way it is right now.

There was a big surge of southern pride and the confederate flag in the 1960s. I'm wondering if maybe that had something to do with the civil rights movement or just the way it was back then. 

On 6/14/2020 at 7:36 AM, Texsox said:

They lost me with Paw Patrol. 

There's no doubt in my mind that all started with some troll post on some website like 4Chan or something and somebody saw it and thought they were being serious. Then it just grew from there.

Every southern town should have a Civil War section at their library or cemetery. The history is certainly significant. It makes no sense that Civil War statues are part of modern politics. From the same people who dislike kneeling before the US flag. 

• Like 2

About ten years ago I traveled the Natchez Trace Parkway and made many of the stops on the route and later other historical sites on my trip to Maine. It was my first real extended road trip through the south. One of the things that really stuck with me was all of the Civil War cemeteries throughout the south. Some are huge with tens of thousands buried and some are small with less than a dozen. Many only had Union soldiers buried in the marked graves, the confederate soldiers were unceremoniously dumped into mass graves. The victors were allowed to bury their dead in dignity. 

Most of the Civil War was fought in the south and the history is more in your face and alive than in the west or north. I have empathy for southerners that see that and want their ancestors remembered and not hated. Just like every war we fought, people fight because they are drafted and told to. They don't always have the luxury of agreeing with the cause.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Every southern town should have a Civil War section at their library or cemetery. The history is certainly significant. It makes no sense that Civil War statues are part of modern politics. From the same people who dislike kneeling before the US flag. 

I will never understand how kneeling in protest for the anthem is almost sac-religious, but when it comes to all the symbols of the Confederacy, you know the literal traitors who tore the country apart to enslave black people, it is "heritage" and "history".  How is kneeling at the anthem less honorable than praising and honoring actual traitors?  And why just the Confederacy?  Why aren't we flying British, Spanish, and French flags in these same areas.  The Confederacy lasted less than 5 years.  British rule lasted hundreds of years.  Where are all of the Union Jacks and Cornwallis statues?

I have never seen a single British flag flying the US yet I know what happened during the centuries of colonization and the Revolutionary War, as well as the War of 1812.  How is that even possible? 

On a related note, if Antifa comes up with a flag, do we have to fly that for the rest of our history?  Do we have to build statues to them?  Otherwise how will people know about that history?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will never understand how kneeling in protest for the anthem is almost sac-religious, but when it comes to all the symbols of the Confederacy, you know the literal traitors who tore the country apart to enslave black people, it is "heritage" and "history".  How is kneeling at the anthem less honorable than praising and honoring actual traitors?  And why just the Confederacy?  Why aren't we flying British, Spanish, and French flags in these same areas.  The Confederacy lasted less than 5 years.  British rule lasted hundreds of years.  Where are all of the Union Jacks and Cornwallis statues?

I have never seen a single British flag flying the US yet I know what happened during the centuries of colonization and the Revolutionary War, as well as the War of 1812.  How is that even possible? 

On a related note, if Antifa comes up with a flag, do we have to fly that for the rest of our history?  Do we have to build statues to them?  Otherwise how will people know about that history?

Why would it be an Antifa flag instead of BLM?   Because a certain someone has tried to pin it on them despite providing no evidence corroborating evidence?

Well, for that to make sense, have we ever had any public flags displayed for the NAACP, SCLC, CORE, SNCC or even Black Panthers....all of the Civil Rights groups coming out of the 1950’s and 60’s?

You can argue that the MLK Holiday and DC Monument is the closest representation of a flag...and moving further and further away from Columbus Day.  Perhaps the proposed Harriet Tubman $20 bill.   This is where it gets to be a VERY slippery slope.   Do we change Memorial Day, somehow?  Then you have Juneteenth, for example.   Or the cultural wars over “no longer celebrating Christmas” in order to incorporate a multiplicity of other religious holidays as well as Kwanzaa.   One’s head starts to spin.

And then, what about (or especially) Native Americans and Hispanic Americans?   Do Asian-Americans get skipped over because the discrimination they have faced is the most invisible and/or least controversial?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/andrew-sullivan-is-there-still-room-for-debate.html

Is there still room for debate?  

Very insightful piece, TLDR will be common response...but an incredibly important point he is making that many are losing sight of at the current moment.  After we lost the Floyd Thread, not even sure we can reopen it even slightly, and that’s a huge shame, because it’s a necessary aspect of the national discussion which should be happening.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, knightni said:

This is not a political thread.

Okay, I deleted it.

But earlier in this thread there was a discussion of Confederate statues...which has now morphed in the US and around the world to something much bigger, stretching from Churchill to Francis Scott Key to Washington and Jefferson.

So where does that end and begin?  As a Civil War buff and history teacher, I consider myself as sympathetic as anyone from a historical sense despite being a “Yankee from up north in Iowa.”

Antifa, Confederate statues or the USPS, whatever the topic now, there’s Inevitably going to be a political spin.

If I even attempted to defend Robert E. Lee (because of brilliant military/strategic expertise or “sense of honor” to not turn against his native Virginia) , it would be an impossible case to make in an American public high school today.  Maybe it would get one fired or at least suspended.

Two years ago our neighboring school district , who names their schools for heroes, amid tremendous emotions renamed Robert E Lee High School (Lee High School) to Legacy of Education Excellence L.E.E. High School. A brilliant in my opinion solution because neither side claimed victory. Everyone was united in disliking the name.

The pressure is back and they will probably be renaming again. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Two years ago our neighboring school district , who names their schools for heroes, amid tremendous emotions renamed Robert E Lee High School (Lee High School) to Legacy of Education Excellence L.E.E. High School. A brilliant in my opinion solution because neither side claimed victory. Everyone was united in disliking the name.

One of the biggest remaining questions is what (if anything) happens to Stone Mountain in Georgia...or the Lee-Custis Mansion (his former home) now in the heart of Arlington Cemetery.  

For example, Washington & Lee University now has to be renamed?

In 1865, shortly after his April 9 surrender to Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, commander of the Union Armies, former Confederate States Army General-in-Chief Robert E. Lee (1807–1870) was called and served as president of the college for five years until his death in 1870, when the college was thereafter renamed the "Washington and Lee University".[6]One of the oldest institutions of higher education in the American South, W&L is the second-oldest in the Commonwealth of Virginia (next to the College of William & Mary, founded in 1693).

CSA General Albert Pike statue in DC toppled this weekend as well.

Edited by caulfield12

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Jose Abreu said:

It has definitely set us back a few decades in terms of political progress. 

It's certainly been No. 1 reason we've become (much worse anyway) a country full of angry people. Boy oh boy do Americans hate each other.

So I'm selling my condo in Chicago, and the HOA is charging $500 for a disclosure form that is required by Illinois law.  Apparently there have been lawsuits related to this as companies gouge people since you have no choice but to pay it if you want to sell.  I've asked my HOA how they can justify charging as much as an attorney charges to do an entire house sale just to send a basic, digital document.  

On 6/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, Texsox said:

Isn't Audie Murphy a Texan?  Name shit after that dude.  

32 minutes ago, bigruss said:

So I'm selling my condo in Chicago, and the HOA is charging $500 for a disclosure form that is required by Illinois law.  Apparently there have been lawsuits related to this as companies gouge people since you have no choice but to pay it if you want to sell.  I've asked my HOA how they can justify charging as much as an attorney charges to do an entire house sale just to send a basic, digital document.  

I can't ever imagine living in a place with an HOA.  I just see nightmare after nightmare about them.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't ever imagine living in a place with an HOA.  I just see nightmare after nightmare about them.

They've actually been pretty reasonable up to this point, for a condo building it's pretty necessary.

But yea you have to be careful with who/what you are signing up for.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ours is so mild we can't get a quorum at our annual meeting. Mow your yard once a month, put away your trash bins, and you are fine. 

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Isn't Audie Murphy a Texan?  Name shit after that dude.  

The have a Churchill so Texan isn't even necessary. But I agree, Murphy would be great.

• knightni locked and unpinned this topic