2020 Catch-All

knightni

10 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Hit 100 once, in the Mexican desert.  Long ago, in a Corvair!  Nuff for me.

I hit 100 on a country side road in my parents' station wagon once.

Not quite as romantic, but really frightening to be honest.

10 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

On a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 just to say I did. Never again. I'd rather attend an election rally without a mask. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, Stinky Stanky said:

Once?! I hit 132 as a passenger when I was a teenager. I’ve driven as high as 115. Hit a pothole at 104 once. That was heart stopping. But 100? You can’t even drive on the highway in my state without someone hitting it. Heck, I’ve gotten in convoys doing 100 more than once. I used the adaptive cruise control in my new car to accelerate to 100 just last week.

Two things - 

1)  I like how the Christmas tree was posted after a question about toilet paper.  Toilet paper to future toilet paper.

2) I'm kind of against social media for the most part. I do accept that many companies of interest (i.e. breweries :)) have Instagram as their main source of communication as a website.  I don't have an Instagram.  I've been able to get by and check in on those public accounts of interest without having an account by just having those familiar URLs in my history and internet browsing cadence.  However, today - it appears when you go to any public Instagram, it requires you to log-in or have an account.  Boo to that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here have much experience with rowing machines? Looking for a lower impact cardio on the joints in my feet so it's between a stationary bike or a rowing machine and I think I'll get more use out of a rowing machine. I've narrowed it down to water or air, but would love to hear some feedback from anyone that has some good info to pass along to help with a decision. Thanks!

I've clamored to have a Concept2 for years, and I finally made the purchase late summer realizing the gym was not going to be an option any time soon.

I've had it since September and am absolutely loving it. The resistance can be what you want on it, and it has a great daily workout suggestion you can have sent to you daily and is compatible with a couple of apps (ErgData, Krew) out there.

I'm doing a holiday challenge that began on Thanksgiving and ends on Xmas Eve to row 200K, where Concept will donate so much for to your charity of choice for the meters accomplished. Great carrot to have during a tough time of year.

This one bends my brain.

15 Incredibly Cool Facts About Snow | Mental Floss

5. SNOW IS TRANSLUCENT, NOT WHITE.

Snow, like the ice particles it’s made up of, is actually colorless. It’s translucent, which means that light does not pass through it easily (like it would transparent glass), but is rather reflected. It’s the light reflected off a snowflake’s faceted surface that creates its white appearance.

But why white? The reason we see objects as colors is because some wavelengths of light are absorbed while others are reflected (remember, light is a spectrum of colors). The object takes on whatever color light is reflected. For example, the sky is blue because the blue wavelengths are reflected while the other colors are absorbed. Since snow is made up of so many tiny surfaces, the light that hits it is scattered in many directions and will actually bounce around from one surface to the next as it’s reflected. This means no wavelength is absorbed or reflected with any consistency, so the white light bounces back as the color white.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, Stinky Stanky said:

I hit 100 many times driving on 57 from Carbondale to Batavia.  Nbd,  my 85 blazer could handle it 😂 

7 hours ago, greasywheels121 said:

I'm that guy that hasn't had Wendy's or anything like such in a decade plus, but this sounds like fun.

https://www.insider.com/eating-all-of-the-burgers-on-wendys-menu-review-photos

A coaching friend of mine and I did that at Whataburger. Over the course of a season we had one of every burger. Their version of the patty melt reigned supreme. 

• Like 1

I have a Boston butt roast and a whole chicken on my smoker. The butt roast,  which for some reason comes from the pig's shoulder, should take 10 to 12 hours,  the chicken four or five. The butt will be pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow,  a great crowd meal. We've invited about 40 neighbors over for a little party on the deck and to award the prize for best holiday decorations. Joking of course. 

The chicken will be used in smoked chicken enchiladas which are amazing. My wife made up the recipe one day when we had some leftover smoked chicken. 

Then,  I brought in a bunch of lumber to build an assembly table so my table saw will be making sawdust. I'm also make  White Sox frame and I'm going to frame a picture of Larussa for my bar. I decided my new theme will be hall of fame guy's mug shots. 

That's a long way if saying y'all don't miss me too much today. 

• knightni locked and unpinned this topic